Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #61
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Ive got my hand up her shirt and Im....going...all...the....way!!!!

Ohhhh yea.....was it good for you

So todays progress report was clean and re-assemble the oil pump. I dont know what I did but it works fine now. Spins freely both directions. Sweet.

So then I direct my attention to the front sprocket. I wraped some 525 chain around it and clamped it with some vice grips and drifted the nut right off there....well after I discovered that there was a locktab washer on there that I had to bend out of the way. Then it came off.

I discovered that sitting down and reading the manual is usefull. If I had read it earlier I might have noticed that I should of taken the cam gear nut off while I still had all the gears in and the crank locked up. With the cam spinning freely its kinda hard to take the nut off. But I got it. I put the gear that is next to the cam back in and stufffed a rag between the gears to lock it up. Then the nut came right off followed by the gear. Tada.

So I got the cases split and the crank it out. Now I have lots of parts to clean. I also discovered by reading the manual that I dont have to remove the tranny to split the cases. But I will anyways as there is a seal that needs replacing in there.

A few more parting shots

What is wrong with this picture????

YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #62
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

So todays project is removal of the sludge trap plug. I was really dreading this as I have heard horror stories about the removal of this. I did some reading online on some of the aproaches for removal and planed my attack.

A quick trip to sears and my tool box netted me a 3/4 cold chisel and a 5/8 impact socket. Total cost $1.50

1st thing this morning when I got to work I cut the chisel down to size on our chop saw. Tool steel is some tough stuff

Then stuck a magnet to the end

And poped it into my 5/8 socket (magnet keeps it from falling out of the socket)

Then snaped that onto my hand impact driver

Then I went about grinding the tip of the chisel to fit into the sludge trap plug and ended up with this

I lightly drilled out the 2 peaned areas of the plug, put in my tool and beat the hell outta it...... and it went no where.

So I got out the BFH and really wailed the piss outta it.... the result...Sucess!!

So for now the trap is soaking in PB Blaster. Im going to shop for a large ez-out tomorrow as I hear this is a good way to get a grab on the trap and pull it out. Oh and I removed the retaining bolt as well. That bugger was in there as well. But I got it.

So thats it for now.

YZman screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 07:13 PM
Old 04-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #63
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 706
That's a nice looking tool you built there. And it looks like that extra time saved you a bunch of headaches. Good Job.
SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #64
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Hey just a random thought. BSA drive chain. Is it some wierd brittish chain pitch? When I wrapped that 525 chain around the sprocket the pitch wasn't even close. And from what I recall a 520 and 525 is the same pitch just diff width. Maybe Im wrong. I just took a 520 off my KTM so maybe Ill take that over there today to size it up.

So what kind of chain does a BSA take?

I got the sludge trap out last weekend. After the big build up (in my mind) it was pretty anti climatic. I grabed a BIG ez-out and lightly tapped it into the trap. Gave it about 1/8 turn with a crescent wrench and the trap broke loose. Grabbed the ez-out and pulled the trap out ez as pie.

Trap really wasn't that sludgy either. A quick cleaning with carb cleaner and its nice and shiny. Still need to pull the rods off and give the crank a good cleaning though as well as the cases.

I scored myself a parts cleaner this week. A 20 gallon Harbor Freight jobby for free! The pump is cooked but that dont matter that much. Ill probablly just use it for a soaking tank. The Pump says not to use Mineral Spirits with it which is what I want to use. Soo......

Been pretty busy on the weekends with Dirtbike related projects. Helping my brother in law work on his sons KDX200 replacing a front tire and water pump seal. Plus we finially got the parts to put the top end back together on his sled so we gots to get that done before I forget how it goes together.

Good news is my 12 yr old son finially upgraded to my "old" 04 CRF250x He was riding the "little blue bastard" a 03 YZ85 that I have pretty much replaced every fricking part on last year. I am soo glad to see that bike go. Hes really cooking on the 250 now. We were at the track Saturday and I pretty much couldn't pass him. Hes not afraid to bang bars and take me down if necessary So Ive been a little busy getting that setup for him and getting it "bulletproofed" ie taking the lighting off so he wont break it all to shit.

Spent Last sunday doing 5 oil changes and air filters on CRF100, YZ85, CRF250x, KTM300XC-w, And my Vstrom 1000. Still need to do my Truck and the wifes Jeep...thats a lot of oil

Heading out to the shop latter today so maybe Ill get some pictures for yas. I want to get the parts washer set up and at least get one of the case halfs soaking. The RH case still has the tranny in it.

Ill get there eventualy
Old 04-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #65
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

As promised...to whoever is still watching this thread...pictures

The sludge trap all cleaned up. Really wasn't all that sludgy at all

My new cheep...ie free...parts washer minus a working pump..But thats ok. It still holds cleaner so thats all I need it to do. Man is Mineral spirits expensive. I put 4 gallons in and it was like $40. Probably going to add another 4-6 and it will be good. But thats another pay day. Im broke now.

Thats about all I got done. Kinda a sleepy day today. That and Supercross is on soon soo....

About all I got is a collection of misc motor parts spread around on blue shop towels awaiting a final cleaning before going back into the motor.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #66
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oh and its not a 520 chain either. Tried a chunk on it today. Not even close. 530 maybe??
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #67
Mats
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Hey YZman!
I think your BSA chain would be imperial size 5/8" X 3/8" and as far as I remember that is the same as a 530 chain. Nice parts washer!
Good luck!
/Mats
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #68
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
I suggest you carry the sprocket to someplace like TSC (farm supply store) they all generally sell chain for farm use. You can prolly match it up there.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #69
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,050
www.britbike.com they have a good BSA forum!
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #70
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,697
Great thread!!!

Keep it comin.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #71
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats
Hey YZman!
I think your BSA chain would be imperial size 5/8" X 3/8" and as far as I remember that is the same as a 530 chain. Nice parts washer!
Good luck!
/Mats
Cool..Ill check that chain size out. I am thinking Ill bring my front sprocket to the dealer down the road and see if some 530 fits it seeing as I dont have any laying around. Im thinking I am going to have to get a custom length chain for this as your std 120 length chain aint going to cut it. I dont want to run 2 chains with 2 master links to get the length I need.

But thats way down the road. Ill cross that road when I get there. Gotta get the motor put together 1st.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #72
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,286
What a tool.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #73
t4halo
VIGILANTE

Oddometer: 212
YZ, You have motivated me to get back to work on my DEC 1968 Guzzi Ambassador. Thanks I needed a kick in the ass. Keep the photos coming.

T4

7th & 10th SF (Retired)
t4halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #74
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
What a tool.

Hey I know a bloke that lives in your town. If you see a fella cruizin around on a hoped up Zuma make sure to run him over and say YZman said hi!

YZman screwed with this post 04-20-2009 at 05:07 PM
Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #75
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

1st up today was remove the transmition from the RH case. Remove a few nuts, give the input shaft a tap with a rubber mallet and wala the tranny comes out easy as that.

I then took a tip from another inmate and spent some time getting organized. $6 at Walmart gets me 2 parts organizer bins.

Pulled the rods off the crank.

Then spend some quality time with my new parts washer...my hands may never be the same again!

The engine cases fresh out of the parts washer tank

It was kinda funny. I had the RH engine case spun every which way in the parts washer. But when I got it on the bench...this little bugger fell out

And it fell out of here

It looks like it was a check ball for the oil pump pickup. The pickup isn't looking too good and will have to be replaced. I assume it is a replaceable part.

Next question...What is this rusty brown thing?