Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #121
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
Thanks for the tip. But too late. I already ordered the tool. Should be here this week. Started selling off crap on ebay to finance this project. So this wrench was basicaly free (thats what Im telling myself anyways )
Great job on the project !

I have found that trying to do at least one item every day helps keep it moving, even if it is a 10 minute job.

Keep the build photos coming !
dlrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #122
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Great job on the project !

I have found that trying to do at least one item every day helps keep it moving, even if it is a 10 minute job.

Keep the build photos coming !
Ya know having moved the project into my house (where its warm) vs at my parents has really helped move this along.

I have been trying to bring something to work every day to clean up on the wire wheel here (bench top grinder ie free to use)

Its been getting kinda... I dont know boring working on this lattely as all I have been doing is disasembling and cleaning. Dosn't really feel like I am getting anywhere. So Saturday I cleaned out the rear wheel bearings and re-installed the rear wheel assembly on the swingarm (minus brake shoes) and gave it a spin. It spins so nice now. I really like how the sprocket rotates around the polished drum cover. that just looks cool.

Ya know the coolest part, and ya probably have to be on the rebuilding side of this project to really understand. When I spin the wheel I can actually hear the new Belray greese in the bearings smacking away. I dont know why but that just hits me as cool.

So now every time I walk past the bike I give the wheel a spin (even though the wheel and swingarm have to come off soon) I give a spin anyways and listen to the greese smacking away. It makes me smile knowing that progress is being made. And I continue on to work on some other discusting part of the bike.

More pictures will be up tonight. Parts have started to be painted
YZman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #123
Ruud109
ADV rookie

Oddometer: 57
Looks like a nice project! I love those BSA's !
Ruud109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #124
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Well I pulled the front brakes apart. Came apart pretty easy. Knocked the bearings out and was greated with this.

Kinda cool knowing that those bearings havent seen the light of day in 40 years and they still look like this.

Started painting some misc parts. Bottom fork caps, steering head cap, and top tripple clamp.

Then I dove into the tank and hit it with some etching primer and started working on filling 2 small dings.

Time to get back in the shop and do a little sanding on the tank and lower tripple clamp in prep for more paint.

Till then.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #125
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,272
Great project Mate although i would lean towards original but everyone to their own.

This motor is prone to main bearing failure on the timing side .
It as you know is a plain bearing and the bike doesn't have an oil filter this was the main reason for many of the failures.

I only say this because there is a great upgrade in fitting a Norton oil filter to them .

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyoil.htm

This was the first place that came up for the kit but i'm sure they are available here in fact i know they are because my local shop has them.

Consider a "Pazon " ignition rather than the "Boyer", I burnt up 2 Boyers in my Commando and had trouble with them all through switched to Pazon and it starts first kick every time and runs much better.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 11-24-2009 at 05:53 PM
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #126
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

An oil filter of some sort has been on my to do/want list. Yea the lack of oil filter on these bikes is a little un-nerving. Granted they ran for years like that so maybe its not that big of a deal.

What I dont want is some big orange fram oil filter hanging around. I would like something slimer and a little more asteticly pleasing. Havent figured that out yet. Thats like step 623 and Im only on like #36. Ill get there

Oh and I pulled the rear wheel back of last night. Kinda liked it on there. Made it look like progress..lol

Anyways I pulled the swingarm and center stand off last night. Swing arm came off crazy easy. I expected a battle with the bolt. but it actually had greese on it and slid right out.

The center stand pin was another thing. I had to beat the hell outta that to get it out.

Next up is break out the grinder and start taking off all the tabs that wont be used and.... gasp ... cut off the sub frame in prep for my new ridged rear that will be coming soon.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #127
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

New tool came in the mail today.

And just as soon as I had it unboxed it was on the fork

And that pesky seal holder was outta there

This fork is locked up pretty solid. But I did manage to hammer the upper tube down a little so it will move. Its soaking in PB right now.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #128
vtwinvin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Lookin good. I had a 500 Royal star in high school. Miss that bike.

Did ya get the package??...........Vince
vtwinvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #129
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinvin
Lookin good. I had a 500 Royal star in high school. Miss that bike.

Did ya get the package??...........Vince

Yes I did thanks. Havent had a chance to really go thru it more than look to see what was in there. Hopefully Ill be able to use the cam.

Thanks again
Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #130
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Mocking up the front end a little while I wait for the big bird to be done

Trying to figure out what to do about the headlight ears. Looks like some body work is in order to the tune of some sheet metal and a welder.

Im likeing the looks of things though

So does my little buddy, She likes to watch me work

Happy Turkey day everyone..... Im gonna go get me some grub
Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #131
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,955
Are you going to go with the whole stock front end? I've seen some stock-looking headlight ears that are chrome at local swap meets-a Britpart vendor has them,along with Emgo repo headlight shells-those old shells just seem to blister up too badly to mess with.
Hopefully, your ammeter is still good-I'm not seeing any needle-real Lucas ones are expensive,and just about non-existent at swap meets. I got a couple of repop ones from Steadfast-they don't really look like the Lucas ones,but they have a long,thin needle that really shows whether or not the bike is charging much better than the short,fat needle on the original one.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #132
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44
Are you going to go with the whole stock front end? I've seen some stock-looking headlight ears that are chrome at local swap meets-a Britpart vendor has them,along with Emgo repo headlight shells-those old shells just seem to blister up too badly to mess with.
Hopefully, your ammeter is still good-I'm not seeing any needle-real Lucas ones are expensive,and just about non-existent at swap meets. I got a couple of repop ones from Steadfast-they don't really look like the Lucas ones,but they have a long,thin needle that really shows whether or not the bike is charging much better than the short,fat needle on the original one.
Yea Im using the entire front end. I think I want to go with black headlight ears. Chrome would be...well too much chrome.

I thought about grafting on a diff front end. But I dont know. I kinda like the old school look of this one. I really like that twin leading shoe brake assembly.

Ill replace the headlight shell at some point. Its not high on my list at this point. Ill probably get a bulb for this one and run it as is till I get the $ for a replacement. Gotta put my $ where its going to gimme the most bang at this point. Tires, oil tank, seat, handlebars.....etc etc

Thanks for the EMGO name drop. I didn't realize they made so many brit parts. Ill have to have a chat with my local dealer (ie my man on the inside) to see what kinda deals he can swing me.

Man I ate waaaay too much today. I really need a nap
Old 11-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #133
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
Yea Im using the entire front end. I think I want to go with black headlight ears. Chrome would be...well too much chrome.
Good to hear that - Too much chrome is a big No - No

Polished alloy is good though
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #134
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Well I got the forks apart today. The one that fell apart wasnt bad at all. Just jerry rigged a slide hammer and plucked the bushings out.

The other fork was not so fun. I drilled the inner tube and pressed a tube thru it so I had some leverage. Then slid it into a vice and kinda slide hammered the inner tube out of there. I had to really crank on it as you can see by the bent T-tube.

Then the slide valve wouldnt come out even after taking the retaining nut off. So I cut the fork tube in half, the t-handle wasnt going to come out easy after I bent the hell outta it, and using a tube inside the fork tube poped the valve out.

So now the question is. The plastic bushing in between the brass ones. Anyone have a pn# for that as one of them is trashed. I have a feeling it is part of the valving as there is a recess turned on the inside.

I might have a machine shop make me those 2 bushings. I am going to need longer ones anyways as I have to lower the forks about 2-1/2 inches. Longer bushings and cut down springs will acomplish that. Heck we have a lathe at work. Maybe Ill just try to make them myself. Cant be that hard.

Oh, I won an ebay auction for a continental front tire. Saved a few dollars on that.

And bought some fork boots.

And got an email from lowbrow customs that my order has shipped...I cant wait for this one to show up. Once that is here progress will begin!

Need to order up some fork seals also.

parts parts parts....it just keeps going and going

YZman screwed with this post 11-27-2009 at 03:13 PM
Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #135
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford
Good to hear that - Too much chrome is a big No - No

Polished alloy is good though

We're talking about a '60s BSA here-they were covered with chrome.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote