User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
PumpinIron OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Bike Stands? - KTM 690 Enduro R

Never owned a bike like this before in my entire life, all my life I've ridden nothing but sport bikes. That being said, I have a Pit Bull spooled rear stand and front head lift stand for my sport bike and I was wondering if those kind of stands will work on a KTM Enduro bike or if you need some sort of special stands for bikes like this?

Just curious since a search didn't yield any results. I'd just like to be able to take the wheels off easily when need be. If my existing Pit Bull stands work that would be awesome!

Digital Sky Design (My Web Design Company)
My Facebook Page
PumpinIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,263
Not sure but I don't see why they wouldn't. I just have a flat ATV jack I put under the skid plate to get mine off the ground.
690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
PumpinIron OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Not sure but I don't see why they wouldn't. I just have a flat ATV jack I put under the skid plate to get mine off the ground.
Yeah, some people have been saying all you need is a flat ATV jack or something but when you get the bike on one of those isn't it a bit dangerous (as in easy to tip over) or am I over thinking it?

My Facebook Page
Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
some sort of special stands for bikes like this?
moto stands work good, except for having to lift the bike up onto it.

i got a stand like this a few years back (except a little nicer and with adjustable height) and i like it a lot.
i mean, if your pitbull works thats cool, but the stand under the motor is probably more stable for changing tires and lubing swingarm bearings, etc (that you'll be doing a lot of now!)

just saw you said "spooled". no spools on dirt bikes. maybe you can get the replacement pieces (the "L" brackets?) but for the $ i'd just get an adjustable moto stand. or, cheap out and use a jackstand. i've used both, prefer the actual stand, way more stable. the headstand for sportbikes will very likely be way way too short to lift the front off the ground.

clapped_r6 screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 11:02 PM
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
PumpinIron OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
moto stands work good, except for having to lift the bike up onto it.

i got a stand like this a few years back (except a little nicer and with adjustable height) and i like it a lot.
i mean, if your pitbull works thats cool, but the stand under the motor is probably more stable for changing tires and lubing swingarm bearings, etc (that you'll be doing a lot of now!)

just saw you said "spooled". no spools on dirt bikes. maybe you can get the replacement pieces (the "L" brackets?) but for the $ i'd just get an adjustable moto stand. or, cheap out and use a jackstand. i've used both, prefer the actual stand, way more stable. the headstand for sportbikes will very likely be way way too short to lift the front off the ground.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I'll just sell the Pit Bull stands and get something that's meant for the bike like that stand you suggested. That's all I need to be able to change wheels / tires, adjust the chain, lube stuff, etc.?

My Facebook Page
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,740
You'll be flirting with disaster if you try using a lift stand with the stock flimsy plastic skid plate.

Dirty
Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
There are threaded mounts for spools on the 690 swingarm. I use my rear pitbull but with the diameter of the tire it's right on the edge of actually supporting it. The front pitbull under fork option works if you put the stand on two flat 2x4's, the under stem is not an option. The oem plastic skid plate isn't flat on the bottom so it's far from ideal using a flat stand, AL skidplates are flat and are much more stable.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
You'll be flirting with disaster if you try using a lift stand with the stock flimsy plastic skid plate.

Dirty
I dunno, I've done it for years. Didn't get a metal skid plate for my 690 till last year. Still use the plastic one on my 450 EXC.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
PumpinIron OP
Adventurer

Well, I ordered a Craftsman ATV style center jack stand. Perhaps I'll need to start exploring skid plate options if this is a genuine concern. Guess it would be nice to have a metal skid plate instead of plastic anyways.

My Facebook Page
Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I use the cheapo lifts from Cycle Gear. There is a threaded hole on the swingarms to mount standard size spools. I find the lifts easier to use for for Footpeg/brake lever removal, taking off the skid plate, and the sidestand. For fork removal my bike lift is used. It takes a little longer for getting it up on the lift and finding the balance point. On The Pit Bull website I see that there is an inexpensive accessory to turn your stand into a fork lifter.

fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
PumpinIron OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossriver View Post
I use the cheapo lifts from Cycle Gear. There is a threaded hole on the swingarms to mount standard size spools. I find the lifts easier to use for for Footpeg/brake lever removal, taking off the skid plate, and the sidestand. For fork removal my bike lift is used. It takes a little longer for getting it up on the lift and finding the balance point. On The Pit Bull website I see that there is an inexpensive accessory to turn your stand into a fork lifter.

That seems to work nicely! Perhaps the best bet is to just keep my stands and have the lift as well.

On another note, what brand is your skid plate? I like it, it looks good compared to some that I have seen.

My Facebook Page
Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Flatland Racing skid plate. Great build quality. Great price. Another plus is I don't feel or hear any vibration or noise at any rpm. Unlike one I had on my DRZ.
fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
PumpinIron OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossriver View Post
Flatland Racing skid plate. Great build quality. Great price. Another plus is I don't feel or hear any vibration or noise at any rpm. Unlike one I had on my DRZ.
Thanks I'll check it out! I've been looking for skid plates and there's friggin tons of them. Some of them are really expensive and others just look ugly!

My Facebook Page
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Heindl Engineering.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
I have two of the Motorsport P-12 lift stands and very happy with them. Use on Husky TE 610 as well as a KTM 200 XC-W. Adjustable height, easy to use and very well made.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W

zoomdude57 screwed with this post 07-03-2014 at 10:25 PM
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote