User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Burnzy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bmw g450x

anyone still riding a g450? how many km's or mi's on it and what can I expect? just picked one up with 1400kms on it for 5000$ cdn wondering if it was worth it. really fun to ride lots of power. I had a drz400 that thing was a slug probably never buy another one of those.
Burnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,757
I blew up my first engine at under 3k miles with a lower rod bearing failure but I personally know of one that has over 36,000 miles (not KM's) and has supposedly never been rebuilt or opened up. So depending on how it's being serviced versus being used there is a very diverse potential for longevity.

I had the first dealer delivered G450X in the USA and still have it,...won't ever sell it as it's my favorite all around dirt bike to date and I have a few to choose from.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Burnzy OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
I blew up my first engine at under 3k miles with a lower rod bearing failure but I personally know of one that has over 36,000 miles (not KM's) and has supposedly never been rebuilt or opened up. So depending on how it's being serviced versus being used there is a very diverse potential for longevity.

I had the first dealer delivered G450X in the USA and still have it,...won't ever sell it as it's my favorite all around dirt bike to date and I have a few to choose from.
Do u have any mods done too it or does they guy with 36000 miles have any?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

Oddometer: 83
I have had one for about 4 years. Its a great bike. I have 2 engines, the BMW wide ratio 5 spd. and the 2011 Husky TC 449 Close ratio 5 spd. that's in the bike now. I swap it in for local tight single track. and riding the storm ditches and washes on the US side of the Mexican border in SE AZ.

I run the Powercommander 5 with the Autotune feature always activated and it builds, Tunes and overwrites the ECU EFI map everytime I ride it.

It also has an accelerator pump function as well on the Power commander 5.
I have a complete oil recovery breather tank system that I fabricated to fit the chassis myself, with an oil return line from the breather tank back into the oil filler cap. It still breaths from the tank into the airbox but not directly. No oily mess in the air box. I use a Zip-Ty valve cover breather on the rocker box lid to do this and have capped of the stock vapor breather behind the base of the cylinder on the right side. It's the best mod you could do.
Powercommander 5 will tune out any and all possible flame out issues. Other EFI tuners will too. PC5 is the best though, No flame outs ever. Also run the complete Leo Vince' exhaust system.

WP 4860 forks with KTM trees which I adapted and the complete KTM wheel assembly as it bolts directly on the set up with out modifications. I had to adapt the steering head bearing from 30mm ID BMW to 29mm ID KTM by making a chromoly sleeve on my lathe to use the KTM trees simple operation really. I use a GPR steering damper (underbar) with their bar riser. I also run the WP Trax rear shock and many other mods. Speedbrain /Blackbird racing seat is a must.

Just bought a brand new FE501 Husky though so the BMW will be my back up, loaner bike now. Still love it though. Never for sale likely. but you never know. All must go at some time if that happens.
Looking back, I notice the Assholes in my mirror are closer than they appear. So if I stop now I will soon be surrounded by Assholes and I may not know who they all are. They all know who they are though.
I've been told I'm Suicidal but I also Procrastinate a lot.
BMWHuskyToom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzy View Post
Do u have any mods done too it or does they guy with 36000 miles have any?
Full Speedbrain Akra system with Powercommander V mapped on the dyno, we found the autotune is good for do it yourself but mapping with Tuninglink software on the dyno makes it work at it's best,....also might have been the last nail in coffin on the lower rod bearing doing all the dyno runs combined with 20 mile interstate jaunts to go dual sporting and using the BMW 10/40 dino oil with the first engine. I've since been using Motorex 10/50 and changing every 6-8 hours along with no more interstate usage, have a FE570s for that kind of dual sporting now. I now have over 120 hours on the second engine with a few RallyMoto events (70-90 miles of WFO 100mph runs) and holding together quite well. I've gone through my share of torque limiters, still on same pivot bearings after 6600 miles 230 hours along with same countershaft sprocket seal and selector shaft seal (on my second countershaft seal with the Berg after only 70 hours, wish I was surprised)

If I were to build a second G450X, I would send the forks and shock to David at FastBikeIndustries for re-valve/set-up and call it a day. I have the super fancy Ohlins RF TTX forks with TTX shock and it's phenomenal, but at 10x's the price of just re-tuning the stockers which work great once tuned.

Funny story but the test riders who were riding the prototype G450X's for TUV certification in Germany were not very good offroad riders, consequently they kept failing the test where they make the rider stop on rumble strips in a given distance. Instead of changing riding technique they tweaked the fork settings to prevent brake dive which made them pack up in offoad riding conditions. Thus the 2010 G450X had revised settings and different test riders to certify the bike so it could pass with decent offroad fork tuning.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Burnzy OP
n00b

So how long is my torque limiter gonna last on this bike with just driving back and forth too work and trail riding on the weekends no hardcore motor cross stuff?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzy View Post
So how long is my torque limiter gonna last on this bike with just driving back and forth too work and trail riding on the weekends no hardcore motor cross stuff?
Depends on amount of sustained interstate speeds or full throttle pulls. If you're running stock exhaust with stock map and staying under 60mph it'll last a very long time. Also very unlikely it will leave you stranded if torque limiter fails, but if the bike sounds like a dry Ducati clutch when idling in neutral then there is a good chance it's on it's way out. It will begin to act like a slipping clutch at high load/highway speeds or no snap with a pop of the clutch, but it'll be a bad torque limiter before you need to replace a clutch pack. BMW/Husky updated that part a few times over the first couple of years to get it more reliable, but it's still a wearing item even with the most updated unit. It's no fun to replace it but if you modify the case cover it can be done with engine in the frame in under 45 min once you're practiced.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Burnzy OP
n00b

Are u using the zipty mod as well?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

The Zip-Ty rocker box breather and any breather tank that fits"Toxic Moto" fits well, many are using it. This will make the torque limiter last much longer. The hot breather vapors pass right out the stock case breather otherwise and cook the Torque Limiters.
I've changed 3 myself until I did this breather modification and made a baffled tank of my own design. No problems with the TL since.

Mapping on the dyno is like riding on the dyno. Its also good for blowing up a motor that doesn't have a crankshaft oiling mod for better oiling. 0w-40 Mobil 1 Euro blend helps considerably with oil flow and an increase in lubrication volume when the engine is cold. The pump makes 36psi whether turning 5000 or 10000 rpm. No more. To each their own on the maps.

The Akroverpriced exhaust isn't any better than many others, just costs about 2 times more.

My second butterfly in my throttle body has been removed and thrown away with the screws in a box. One of the best mods you can do with the use of the PC5 and the Autotune.

I have ran several published Zip-Ty and the Burson maps along with a few other maps and have overwritten just about everyone of them. This happens every time I am riding.. Where I ride, the way I ride, with whom I may ride with. Different places at different altitudes. That's what the Autotune does. If I am a do it yourselfer I guess so, A Dyno Tune guy isn't riding on the back of my bike for sure twisting the throttle. I can ride and come home and plug it in to the USB cable on my laptop or take it with me in the truck and look at the actual AFRs, the actual last rides Fuel map whether it was + or - , Can diagnose any potential FI problems immediately by looking at the charts from the last ride. See what the fueling was at any RPM and any percent throttle opening, See or change the actual ignition timing + or - Which is now being controlled by the PC5 rather than a set map or the stock ECU . Readings are always being taken by the broadband 02 sensor. I can easily do a TPS reset anytime and read the voltage reading right on the screen with the PC5 and the Autotune. The Computer screen with the AutoTune function activated allows me to actually set and program the target AFRs or change them anytime with out having someone help blow up the engine while doing a Dyno run in a room the size of a Hollywood closet. After fitting a supermoto or street tire on the rear to get any useful data.

The PC5 with the AutoTune and the accelerator pump function is the best feature of all. It allows you to set the bikes fueling to loft the wheel effortlessly off of idle or even below actual normal idle RPM to virtually eliminate any Flameouts, Period. You can actually set it to spray any percentage of fuel beyond or + what the map setting actually is. and count the number of actual rpms you want it sprayed in seconds just like the accelerator pump on a carburetor, 35, 50, 70 rpms, what ever RPM you want it to come in at divided by 60 seconds and activate that accelerator pump function from Zero % throttle opening to 2% or 3% or 5% what ever you like or what ever the bike likes most of all. But unlike a carburetor it will only do this at that actual RPM, At that actual throttle percent opening and its timed as to how long as mentioned above in actual seconds which relate to actual rpms. It won't do this again though at any higher RPM (unless of course you program it to do so) or the next time the throttle has been closed and opened back up again if the RPM is higher or the bike is perhaps coasting like a carb would.

Want to know what is really going on? Just look at the maps as the bike shows what it did the entire time it was ran right on the lap top screen and you can accept the fuel, timing and AFR maps as the actual map or not. PC5 and the Autotune has many more benefits than most so called experts may realize.. The Autotune lets you enter the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) you want. You can Fatten that AFR up at higher percentage of throttle openings and higher rpms out to full throttle, which helps cool the engine at the higher rpms and speeds for sustained periods of time. The Autotune feature will constantly tune and make fuel changes to that target AFR regardless of any altitude changes in a ride. The dyno room can't do that. It can't even come close to simulate actual riding conditions either.
Looking back, I notice the Assholes in my mirror are closer than they appear. So if I stop now I will soon be surrounded by Assholes and I may not know who they all are. They all know who they are though.

BMWHuskyToom screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 05:20 PM
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Burnzy OP
n00b

Well we shall see what happens bike is a lot of fun to ride ,just starting too second guess my decision wondering if I should have looked at a wr450f instead
Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

98% of the folks riding have no concept of acceptable A/F ratios and if you call Dynojet Tech support they will give the end user an ear full about leaving the autotune plugged in 100% of the time. For someone that want's to fiddle and actually can interpret the data great, I've played with the other exhaust systems on the G450X but the Akra head pipe with resonance chamber is a huge benefit over any other option for the G450X, the muffler does nothing more but match the beautiful Ti headpipe from Akra, the head pipe is where the magic is at and killing the back wave of a thumper with the resonance chamber.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

I get it , a Helmholtz resonator was and has been around for about 165 years. Used for many things, Not just dirt bike pipes, originally used for musical instruments.
The air inside a simple guitar acts as a type of a Helmholtz resonator.

Nothing new, you can thank Hermann Von Helmholtz not Akra for this idea. I have studied the formulations to get the length right many times.

You must have saved at least .3 tenths of a pound off the bikes total weight over a S/S system. After paying $400.00 to $500.00 more for the Akro Titanium system.

For 400.00 I could save a lot more than that off the bike in other areas. You could save more than that in weight just going back to a set of standard thickness innertubes, for about 30.00 If you're using heavy duty tubes. That is unsprung weight. That is if you aren't running a Tubliss system or Bib mousses.

The S/S systems are much easier to repair also when the head pipe takes a good hit and gets damaged or smashed and you can easily source Nearly any radius and diameter of S/S mandrel u bends for a minimal cost to do a full section repair as long as you know what you are doing with a Tig. I've had my Tig welders since 1977. Welded Titanium many times while in the welding industry for the past 40+ years. Try Sourcing any diameter Titanium U bends to do a repair on your Titanium Akro headpipe for a decent price. Might as well go and buy another one.

BMWHuskyToom screwed with this post 04-30-2015 at 07:07 PM
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

[/QUOTE] with the "AutoTune function activated" allows me to actually set and program the target AFRs or change them anytime.[/QUOTE]

Key words you must have missed in my Quote. Above it says "AutoTune function activated". Meaning when it is activated.

I've deactivated it many times and have ridden the bike several times with the Bosch Broadband 02 sensor removed and capped off. I have the option to reactivate it in seconds again any time I want to hook it up to the laptop and I'm not paying anybody to do it either.

The 98% of the people that you must know who don't understand the concept of Air Fuel ratios. Are all paying somebody to do their tuning for them also I guess.

Maybe these 98% of your rider buddies should start by looking up Stoichiometric air fuel ratios and to come out of the dark ages they could start at the bottom of basic fuels, with burning dry fire wood of different species in a gasifier. Then do some basic analysis. It science plain and simple

That may help to understand this concept so they don't blow up their engines before moving onto burning more volatile fuels such as gasoline. Without any under standing of this AFR concept. I don't even feel sorry for them. Instead of learning this concept, many go out and trust their cash to some shop whom employs some "Dynotuner Extraordinaire" operator who probably just got out of motorcycle mechanics institute classes a few months ago. Whom is one of the 98% probably that doesn't understand this concept either.

Sounds like a good example was the guy whom as you say may have been responsible or after these fun Dyno sessions."was the nail in the coffin" you let tune your bike that you mentioned that soon there after blew up and grenaded.

I personally don't give a shit what Dynotuners or people who go to dynotuners or even DynoJet Company has to say and it won't be in my ear because I don't need to call them. I have no problem clearly understanding the tuning and it's functions as I am the end user. That's what I bought it for. I don't need to make phone calls to these people who are just waiting for the "98% club" suckers to call their tech support line. I don't have
Bluetooth capabilities in my dirtbike helmet to make these calls while I'm out ripping it up and something goes wrong. If it does, I'm responsible for it myself. I don't decide I better stop because I heard a pop or there was a flame out and I need to point the finger at someone else, WTF. When riding where I do that's going to really help a lot, so I have to stop and call a tuner and explain the symptom so I can ask him what was happening? What"s he going to tell me ? It must be that I should have bought the Titanium Akro Headpipe. Maybe I should have spent more time with that street tire on the back rim strapped to his dyno while buzzing the engine on his dyno while we all are watching the Titanium headpipe turning a darker shade of blue because it looks cool.

This stuff is too funny man.

BMWHuskyToom screwed with this post 03-26-2015 at 10:22 PM
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
ratdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHuskyToom View Post
I get it , a Heimholtz resonator was and has been around for about 165 years. Used for many things, Not just dirt bike pipes, originally used for musical instruments.
The air inside a simple guitar acts as a type of a Heimholtz resonator.

Nothing new, you can thank Hermann Von Heimholtz not Akro for this idea. I have studied the formulations to get the length right many times.

You must have saved at least .3 tenths of a pound off the bikes total weight over a S/S system. After paying $400.00 to $500.00 more for the Akro Titanium system.

For 400.00 I could save a lot more than that off the bike in other areas. You could save more than that in weight just going back to a set of standard thickness innertubes, for about 30.00 If you're using heavy duty tubes. That is unsprung weight. That is if you aren't running a Tubliss system or Bib mousses.

The S/S systems are much easier to repair also when the head pipe takes a good hit and gets damaged or smashed and you can easily source Nearly any radius and diameter of S/S mandrel u bends for a minimal cost to do a full section repair as long as you know what you are doing with a Tig. I've had my Tig welders since 1977. Welded Titanium many times while in the welding industry for the past 40+ years. Try Sourcing any diameter Titanium U bends to do a repair on your Titanium Akro headpipe for a decent price. Might as well go and buy another one.
Not to be pedantic, but the dude's name was Helmholtz. It resonates with me. ;-)
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
BMWHuskyToom
Sorry, No Jap Bikes

Very perceptive , you are right. Thanks for the correction. Sorry about my repeated incorrect spelling.

I should have known better, as my own last name has been spelled wrong by 98% of the people in my entire 56 year life time. Its rarely done correctly. I'll bet these could be the 98% that don't understand Air Fuel Ratios either ?

Even when I spelled it out for them. Directly, multiple times. It had to have resonated in their head too for a moment or 2 but writing and listening for some at the same time is sometimes difficult. For like 98% of the people who have ever written my name outside of my direct family.

Having your last name spelled wrong is common for us Germans. One that I have become used to.

Maybe that's why my own family dropped the "Von" at the start of the rest of my German last name, in the late 1880's after establishing ourselves in the US.

I always called my Grandpa, Uncle and Nephew "Walter " But they would say "Valter" in Germany.

"Hermann Ludwig Ferdinand Von Helmholtz" must have done the same thing after several "Missspellings". oops! After all, it is a bit lengthy.

BMWHuskyToom screwed with this post 03-27-2015 at 10:01 AM