Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #166
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsprings
Need some help with the Dellorto carb on my '97 605DS. I removed the flipper choke the PO had installed and went back to the factory choke cable. Also took carb apart and cleaned all the jets. Now I'm having issues. It will not start with choke at all, gets bogged down. Will only start with open throttle. Then will only stay running with 1/4 to full throttle. Will not idle. Dies as soon as I let off the throttle.

I've taken the carb apart twice. Tried every sort of idle and bleed screw adjustment i can think of. At a loss for what to do next. Have tried so many times the battery is dead at the end of the night. Seems like its getting too much fuel vs. not enough.

Perhaps it's possible i didn't reassemble something right, but the fact that it will start and will run if the throttle is open confuses me.

The mechanics in my area are not willing to look at it...being an ATK.

Any hints?
I am having the same issue. there are two to 3 likely issues. Make sure the choke plunger is seating correctly as has been mentioned. make sure your slide is not dented (common). Some people report having to "T" their float bowl vent line with a T and run one line up under the gas tank and another down to drain. Apparently there is a known problem with the siphon of these carbs. I assume you have the stock dellorto.

Sorry for this bad photo but you can see my slide is worn badly. I am going to change the idle screw to the opposite side today and then reroute my bowl vent lines later today and hopefully it will be idling right!

Kapp555 screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 09:43 AM
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #167
tsprings
T-bone

Oddometer: 21
Carbs

Thanks for the advice and the contacts guys. It will be a few days before I can dig into this a bit more. I spoke to the PO and it sounds like he had it rejetted a while back. I'll have to find out what was done.

Kapp, how do you post a picture in the message? I've had no luck. I'd like to take a picture of the vent lines and have you guys tell me if they look like they are routed properly.
tsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #168
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsprings

Kapp, how do you post a picture in the message? I've had no luck. I'd like to take a picture of the vent lines and have you guys tell me if they look like they are routed properly.
take your digital photo and then upload it to photobucket. Each photo there will have a copy link in it, just copy it to your message here on adv and the photo will appear. I doubt it is your jetting. Unless the bike comes from some crazy altitude its not likely. If I was you I would check your carb slide for dents and put the manual choke plunger back on and see see if it idles.

** Update, I took my carb off again today and I confirmed I cannot move the idle screw from one side to the other. So, I am going to attempt to get my slide welded so that it will idle. I took another photo for you Tsprings so you can tell if your slide is damaged. Just take the top of your carb off. The part where the throttle cable goes into the carb and look at the bottom of the round slide. There are only 2 sides you can see em indented on my photo. If your idle screw has caused the slide to get dented then you either need a new slide or you need to get the old slide welded. You can see from the photo that one side is smooth and the other side is all dented from the throttle slamming shut on it. Hope this helps.

Kapp555 screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 04:39 PM
Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #169
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Where are you ATK 605 guys getting your oil filters from? Is there anything aftermarket and easy to get?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #170
Recyclerator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
ReWeak side stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapp555
Anyone have a fix for the very weak side stand? Mine is on borrowed time
This doesn't repair it but reinforces it. I've only got a 100 or so miles on this so I don't know long term efficacy. So far I have been using the little added knub as a step up and have also used the foot peg as a step up. the steel wire holds it just fine.

The Wire is stainless steel twist cable with a couple of eyelets and swedged in place. Most of thats readily available. The tangs (bent flat pieces) are left over from my hang gliding days but should be easily fabbed. finally the bungee pulls the wire forward when the stand is raised to keep it from inerfering with the rear tire.

Under the swing arm I drilled a single 3/16" hole and put a steel rivet in to hold the tang. this will receive a side load only and I'm hoping its up to it. I expect this to be the weak point.

I believe your only other choice is to remove the swing arm and re weld with a stronger gusset.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #171
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapp555
Where are you ATK 605 guys getting your oil filters from? Is there anything aftermarket and easy to get?
Just an update for you guys. It appears the HiFlo 151. K&N 151 and the emgo 10-26950 are all compatible replacement filters for the 605. I found some locally for under 3 bucks.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #172
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

And I think you guys might like this...those of you that have carb problems.
http://www.guzzino.com/flupchscinph.html

Its a flip up choke for the dellorto. With my slide being welded, the valves set at .005 and this new choke my bike is purring at idle. I also did the overflow valve T as recommended.

I am down to getting the clutch adjusted, the suspension dialed in and rebuilding the seat.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #173
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,062
Has anyone thought about getting a frame welded up that would fit aftermarket tank? Instead of running that curved backbone, make it straight and weld on some tabs to fit KTM tanks... Don't look like it'd be THAT tough

M
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #174
funmachines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
That's an interesting idea. It would take a jig to ensure everything ended up in the right place after welding though. I have an extra frame and it sounds like a cool idea. If someone spent the time to do it right and had good skills with the welding I'd consider it. How much difference is there between the older style frame and what would result with this change?
funmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #175
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Has anyone thought about getting a frame welded up that would fit aftermarket tank? Instead of running that curved backbone, make it straight and weld on some tabs to fit KTM tanks... Don't look like it'd be THAT tough

M
So you're wanting to re-engineer the frame? I'm thinking just buying a KTM frame would be the shortest and cheapest distance between two points. I know you can buy aftermarket frames for the 605 motor like the Ron Woods Flat-track frame. Sure seems like a lot of work to me. What kind of distance are you trying to go? My tank was expanded by the hot water and air pressure method so probably holds 3.5 gallons of fuel. I'm getting 44 mpg so that tank plus a 1 gallon bungied on the back gives me close to a 200 mile range.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #176
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
With bolts.

Because the instructions said so.

Because ATK's first motorcycle was actually a frame kit for the XL/XR600. You supplied an engine, maybe the wheels and maybe the forks, though they usually ended up with KTM parts.

That is the best one I've recently seen. Where are you? Was this the one that was on eBay? Midwest? I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. That was Horst Leitner's first complete creation.

Gummee: technically speaking, the ATK you/I have isn't a real (Leitner) ATK. The last real ATKs were pre-1994. The easiest way to spot a Horst Leitner ATK is the rear disk brake being on the engine. Lots of innovation on those early bikes. I think his best creation was the 406. I need to get me one of those.

Photos & history here:
http://www.americandirtbike.com/newpage1.htm
Here ya go I got a pair for ya...

The enduro is a fantastic trail bike...

1990 406 enduro 6 speeder with the 4 gal tank and nickel plated frame..

1990 406 MX with the 5 speed and light flywheel, I have the MX tank and seat for it...

Ok, now back to finish the thread...
Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #177
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877

2002 Super Moto, I miss that thing! Won a shit load of races on it. The pic is Beaver Run, Pa. Great track!
I also had a 1999 605 DSES.....gone also
Replaced with a 2006 KTM 525 EXC ( I can get parts for this!!!)

Anybody want a 2001 VOR 400 Enduro? (figured since ATK had parts once.............................................)

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #178
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

So I got out on the ATK for about an hour last nite. Rode around the desert behind the house as well as the next stretch of desert down the road.

Did you know you could steer 90deg out and still go straight if yer giving her the welly? Did you also know that once you hit a sand berm, it WILL turn while you have the bars turned 90deg and giving it the welly?

Yeah, deep sand still sux, but its better than riding deep sand on the GS-Adv!

Things to do:
handguards
bar risers
strengthen the rear subframe to haul s'more fuel 'cause the area I rode the GS-Adv thru today has MANY many more trails.

M
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #179
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
So I got out on the ATK for about an hour last nite. Rode around the desert behind the house as well as the next stretch of desert down the road.

Did you know you could steer 90deg out and still go straight if yer giving her the welly? Did you also know that once you hit a sand berm, it WILL turn while you have the bars turned 90deg and giving it the welly?

Yeah, deep sand still sux, but its better than riding deep sand on the GS-Adv!

Things to do:
handguards
bar risers
strengthen the rear subframe to haul s'more fuel 'cause the area I rode the GS-Adv thru today has MANY many more trails.

M
Do you have any picts? I don't believe you rode her.

10-4 on "deep sand sucks."

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #180
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsAZ
Do you have any picts? I don't believe you rode her.

10-4 on "deep sand sucks."

Dave
Naw. I'm only semi-legal, so don't wanna 'attract attention.'

What happened to you today? LstZephyr and I had a great little ride.

Speaking of semi-legal... The reg/rect I got from the PO isn't *quite* right. I don't know if I hit something and jarred the pos battery cable loose or if it isn't putting out enough juice. I'll hafta take her apart again to make sure. I guess I *could* be doing that now, but there's mosquitos out there that've already chewed on my legs.

M