Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #196
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Anyone know where the horn was mounted on my '97 605 from the factory? It's missing and I can't seem to find the wires, or where it bolted to.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #197
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/o...cfm?ID=2364175

Quote:
New partnership between on-road, off-road OEMs announced

Powersports Business
Friday November 13, 2009

Korean motorcycle manufacturer Hyosung has announced a new partnership with an American off-road vehicle manufacturer.

That off-road manufacturer, ATK Motorcycles, has built more than 15,000 motorcycles and ATVs in the past 25 years out of its Salt Lake City, Utah, location.

Taekwon Kim, the CEO of Taiwan-based Hyosung, also known as S&T Motors, said during the EICMA show announcement that the partnership is a natural fit for both companies. “By joining forces, we believe we can strengthen our distribution network, reduce our production costs, spread development costs and substantially accelerate our entry into the street bike business,” Kim said in a press release. “We also look forward to sharing some of our off-road technology.”

Frank White of ATK said, “There will be some differentiation between S&T-branded products and the ATK-branded products.

“S&T will send parts from Korea and we will integrate those with our own American and European parts,” White said. “These American-Utah assembled motorcycles will be targeted to be sold through a select group of Harley-Davidson dealers.”

White noted the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. is not involved in this new partnership.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #198
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfatman
Anyone know where the horn was mounted on my '97 605 from the factory? It's missing and I can't seem to find the wires, or where it bolted to.

Mine didn't come with one.

If you let you know, please let me know!

M
Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #199
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I had a buddy that rode the wheels off some AMP bicycles 'back when.' I don't remember how many frames he broke. Horst never did like that. After a while, he stopped sending new ones.

Some of what Horst thunk up: the link that Specialized still uses, etc. are way nifty. The disc on the engine?

M
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #200
henchcraft
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Horn position

Quote:
My 98 DS has the horn mounted on the left side of the frame, above the left exhaust port header pipe, beneath the tank and facing out to the left . Sorry I don"t have a digital camera.
henchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #201
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchcraft
My 98 DS has the horn mounted on the left side of the frame, above the left exhaust port header pipe, beneath the tank and facing out to the left . Sorry I don"t have a digital camera.
Thx

M
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #202
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Thx

M
+1

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #203
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
+1
Back off bitch!

He's mine!

M
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #204
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

I inherited a pair of Acerbis 'bolt to the levers w/ no metal spine' handguards from Laramie LC4. Think he feels sorry for what he's gonna do to me on tomorrow's ride.

Hope they'll keep the cholla out of my hands till I can get some different, metal-backed guards.

I'll let y'all know what happens on the ride. Wish me luck!

M
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #205
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
I inherited a pair of Acerbis 'bolt to the levers w/ no metal spine' handguards from Laramie LC4. Think he feels sorry for what he's gonna do to me on tomorrow's ride.

Hope they'll keep the cholla out of my hands till I can get some different, metal-backed guards.

I'll let y'all know what happens on the ride. Wish me luck!

M
Good Luck and have fun. My 605 is sporting a new voltage regulator and fresh battery. It's winter break at school so for the first time since September I'm going for a ride of about 100 miles of pacific north wet woods riding.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #206
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
engine manual

I was doing a trawl on my computer yesterday and came across an engine manual for the rotax engine. I got it when I used to own a ccm604 with the same motor. About 5 mb so possible to email. pm me email addresses unless anybody has a way to host it.

Iain

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #207
dcarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
87 ATK - rebuild stage

She's getting close to completion. Original owner, bought new in spring of 87, 'factory' bike e.g. XR600 in frame. Doubled the HP with boatloads of bucks only to find weak 2nd gear hard-coating failure requiring replacement every 4 moto weekends. Bought a KX500 in 91 and the ATK sat. Then that wild hair wiggled so she' s coming back as a street-fighter / dual sport hooligan bike with a mostly stock motor for longevity.

1987 CR250 cartridge forks, stock single-sided White Power in rear, 1989 CR500 disc. I campaigned this bike with moderate success for two years, running against open class 2 strokes.

dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #208
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike
Good Luck and have fun. My 605 is sporting a new voltage regulator and fresh battery. It's winter break at school so for the first time since September I'm going for a ride of about 100 miles of pacific north wet woods riding.
Where'd you get the voltage regulator?

I'm runnin one outta a Buell... May/may not be right, but its in there!

M
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #209
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Where'd you get the voltage regulator?

I'm runnin one outta a Buell... May/may not be right, but its in there!

M
I got mine from Keith at American Dirtbike.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #210
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

The ride... or... I was 'that guy.'

You know, 'that guy.' EVERY ride has one. The dood that don't have his shit straight. Who never seems to be ready on time. The dood that well, seems to be a major eff-up.

Yup. That was me Tues afternoon.

Where's my boots? Where's my camelbak? Where's my X, Y, and Z?! Y'mean I don't have my tools with me?!

Luckily, Laramie LC4 is a grand fellow and put up with me. I didn't even hear him cussing!

So we loaded up the mighty ATK onto his trailer for the drive to the riding area. We drove up past Catalina. Turned left on the back way to Phx. Turned left again on this little dirt road that I couldn't tell you where it is! :lost

Yeah, we're in the middle of nowhere. Oh, and BTW, we're on a working ranch, so watch out for cows.

I rolled the mighty ATK over to a little side berm off the road to kick her over. Did I mention somewhere that the ATK's not short? The kickstarter is WAY up there an I hafta stand on something to get her started? Well, it is and I do! I don't wanna hear shit-nuthin from no one!

LC4 fires his... LC4! right up. It burbles away happily for a bit as I'm rolling the mighty ATK off to get her kicked into life. A few kicks later the mighty ATK is burbling away in a slightly deeper tone. Tho for some reason, she don't wanna stay runnin. Kick, rev it a bit, sputter, die. Repeat.

LC4 comes over and holds the throttle open for me a bit and sez 'get the rest of yer gear on.' Did I mention I was 'that guy?!'

So I get the helmet and goggles on. Pull on the gloves. ...and remember why I brought my Oakleys! The goggles I have are pinching my nose shut. Makes me zound like I hab a cold. The lack of air thru the nose don't help none neither, but that's a minor annoyance to 'that guy.'

Off we go down the dirt road towards the riding area! LC4 is off on the LC4 in a cloud of smoke and I lose sight of him. All I asked afore we left is 'wait for me at the turns.' He did.

Now, this is MAYBE my 5th ride on the mighty ATK. I'm a dirt n00b. I make no bones about it. I know I don't know what I'm doing and am not afraid to let those that DO know what they're doing know it. I'm gonna be slow. Its a given. I'm NOT gonna try to keep up with someone that does know what they're doing and go bang. I don't bounce so well no more. 20+ years ago?! That woulda been another story.

So we get to the turnoff for the trails. ...and I rode right past it! WAITAMINIT! that was LC4 sittin there on the side of the road! So I turn my missedtheturn ass around and off we go again. Singletrack! Rocky! Woot! I love this stuff 'cause my mtn bike trained brain can process the lines, etc. at the proper speeds. All my main worry was was pinch flats. The trail was rocky, turny, and lots of fun. I kept seein LC4 a hill ahead of me, so I knew I was in the right area!

As a side note to those that ride mtn bikes: MAN! having 12" of suspension and much thicker tires makes riding over stuff MUCH easier! Oh, but ya gotta look further ahead, 'cause yer gonna come up on stuff MUCH quicker!

Left, right, up, down. Change directions here and there. LC4 waited for me at the turns so I knew where he was going. Nice thing, 'cause I hadn't a clue WhereTF I was, or WhereTF he was takin us!

Sand sucks m'kay. We dropped into this narrow, turny wash that had me knifing the front wheel back and forth. Sawing wildly at the handlebars, trying to keep pointing straight while not knowing WTF I was doing. HR and stress levels went sky high there for a bit.

Fuggit. I'm gonna shut the bike off and rest a minute. I'm skeered, winded, and wondering WTF I'm doing with this nutcase.

Then I notice that he's pointed straight down a wash that's about a 3-lane road wide. A few tips like 'go fast and keep yer weight back' and he's off. I basically didn't see him again till the next turn as I got up to 3rd or possibly 4th gear. All the while, the bike's fightin me. I'm tryin to stay in someone else's rut, so I don't hafta go across the crowns of sand between ruts.

No dice.

The bike's going where the bike's going. I'm skeered. Yeah, I know yer supposed to go like a bat outta hell in this stuff, but the little voice inside my head is screaming at me now: SLOWTHEFUNKDOWNBEFOREWEGETKILLEDYOUIDIOT! As I keep to at least the minimum speed to keep on top of the stuff, I shout back to that voice: 'STFUIknowwhatI'mdoing!' Yeah, I lied. I didn't auger in, but it sure felt like it was about to happen.

Left, right, more trails. These were more wide open an LC4 was ridin behind me for a bit. Till he went past like I was sittin still! Oh well. I told him I was slow!

To be contd