ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #61
atkxr600
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Gotta figger this kicking thing out. 10min of kicking SUCKS! Don't have the $$ for a lectric leg kit just yet.
M
I have no experience with the Rotax, but most single cylinder four strokes, are very sensitive to proper valve adjustments.

Too little lash clearance, and the bike will not build enough compression to fire. Too much valve clearance, and the cylinder will not fill or clear out properly.

First thing I would do is drain out the fuel, and refill it with fresh stuff, then put a new spark plug in. Pull the carb apart, and verify that the idle circuit is not plugged up with old varnished fuel.

If those two things do not help, then check the valve clearances. Kieth at American Dirt Bike is a great dude, I would not hesitate to call him for advice.

that's a good looking ride you got, you'll get the starting drill sorted out, then ride the wheels off of it.

Good luck. :-)
atkxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #62
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkxr600
I have no experience with the Rotax, but most single cylinder four strokes, are very sensitive to proper valve adjustments.

Too little lash clearance, and the bike will not build enough compression to fire. Too much valve clearance, and the cylinder will not fill or clear out properly.

First thing I would do is drain out the fuel, and refill it with fresh stuff, then put a new spark plug in. Pull the carb apart, and verify that the idle circuit is not plugged up with old varnished fuel.

If those two things do not help, then check the valve clearances. Kieth at American Dirt Bike is a great dude, I would not hesitate to call him for advice.

that's a good looking ride you got, you'll get the starting drill sorted out, then ride the wheels off of it.

Good luck. :-)
So.... the plan was to play hooky a little this afternoon. Run with the dog 'cause he's been 'neglected' for too long. (ask him, he'll tell you! ) and then fire up the ATK and try and find a dirt path/trail/road to the riding area up off Tangerine.

Weeeeellll I hadta go get another contract signed 'cause they wanted to upgrade winders and that took till 1600.

Then I surfed JM and other sites till not quite 1700.

Now, its too farging late to ride. It'll be the same sityashun as last nite. too dark to see WTF I'm riding in/on. My own damn fault!

Oh well. There's always tomorrow AM.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #63
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 4,784
Gummee, I have a '97 605ds,bought via evilbay. It has about 3000 miles on it.
I also have and used to ride a lot a Can-Am Sonic with the 500 cc Rotax. The C-A is kicker only and never much trouble to start. Just give a serious kick or three and off you went. That bike has a 36mm Micuni carb.
Now the 600 in the ATK is a different story.I have yet to start it from cold by kicker. The goofy barrel key bounced out on the trailer the first time I took it ti the woods. No amount of kicking would even get a fart out of it. We resorted to towing it which works but is slightly dicey at best. Once it warmed up ,no problems though.
It feels like it won't spin fast enough to pull adequet fuel through the 40mm DelOrto to fire it. Or maybe I'm not as young as I was in the 80s. So now I loves the button, cause it's not much fun until it fires.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #64
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
I loves the button, cause it's not much fun until it fires.
That's it.

Rub it in!





M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #65
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 4,784
Oh,and hey Bones. I'm Kenneth, we met in '06 after I melted my KLR on the way to Ak. and your sainted boss lady loaned me a complete stranger her tasty Cagiva. Which I then after 500 wonderful miles, killed also.
Anyway thanks for the ride to the airport. And uh,is the Elephant alive?
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #66
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer
 
Huskyfatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: So. Nv.
Oddometer: 729
I'll chime in here. I have ridden Huskys with Dellortos forever now and find the starting drill seems to be pretty much the same with my ATK except the lever is higher and more awkward on the Huskys plus they have higher compression.

As stated above, make sure the valves are in check, the carb is clean and being supplied with fresh fuel and a new plug and clean air filter never hurts. These carbs also seem to be real sensitive to having the idle set right as well (especially on my ATK), which should be done with a warm engine. Unfortunatly this requires starting it first. Here's my drill.

Rule number 1-Don't touch the throttle!

Rule number 2-Don't touch the throttle!

#3-turn on gas

#4-full choke

#5-make sure switch is in the "run" position (found this out the hard way)

#6-using the compression release, go just a tad past TDC

#7-kick it using a hard and complete kick

#8-repeat untill successful

My 605, and Huskys for that matter, don't like to idle with choke on. If they don't start by like the 8th kick, I usually try with the choke off and they'll fire.

The 605 is the same as my 610 Huskys in that it fires pretty easy when cold and real easy when warm. The trouble with the ATK is when it does the dreaded cough and stall while it's warming up, it becomes impossible to re-light with the kicker. I make sure and warm it up by keeping my hand on the throttle until it's warm enough to idle smoothly. Good Luck!
__________________
http://www.sharetrails.org/
http://www.americansandassociation.org/

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"-THE DUDE
Huskyfatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #67
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
How much for that tank? Who makes it?



M
taken from my dormant KLX rallye build...

Quote:
Next of was the rear fuel tank.

Its an 8 litre Nomad No2 tank,http://www.nomadtanks.com/



I had only done about 2000K's with it on but that was over some pretty rough roads and it seemed to handle it fine.

The tank itself seems pretty substantial and looks like it would take a hell of a lot of punishment.

If you hit it hard enough to damage it, I doubt same leaking fuel would be at the top of you're "list of shit to be seriously concerned about."

Mounting is by two straps that go over the top (I only use them if I'm going over real rough terrain) and 5 threaded holes on the underside.


__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #68
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 4,784
Yo Gummee, I have kicked my ATK 605 from cold now! It's mind over machine and don't think about giving up. Or out.
Also I rode the Renfro Valley Dualsport Ride the other day and it started on the button in the morning but no more after that. I kicked it to life a couple of dozen times through the day and started to treat it more like my old Can-Am. If it wouldn't start in two kicks I'd hold the throttle open and usually it fire on the next kick.And the ride was a blast!

bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #69
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
Yo Gummee, I have kicked my ATK 605 from cold now! It's mind over machine and don't think about giving up. Or out.
Also I rode the Renfro Valley Dualsport Ride the other day and it started on the button in the morning but no more after that. I kicked it to life a couple of dozen times through the day and started to treat it more like my old Can-Am. If it wouldn't start in two kicks I'd hold the throttle open and usually it fire on the next kick.And the ride was a blast!



At the same time: you suck. Haven't managed to get mine out and dirty yet. Fucking working's getting in the way!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #70
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,919
Wish I had the money and a 605 was close enough, I want one so bad, to go with my ATK 260's. They're the lightest 600cc bike out there.
I know where to get one but its in SLC UT, and it doesn't have the DS kit on it. (yet) Its got very low hours and maintained buy the Factory mechanic.
So I know its done right.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #71
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow
 
squidhunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Hidden California
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Wish I had the money and a 605 was close enough, I want one so bad, to go with my ATK 260's. They're the lightest 600cc bike out there.
I know where to get one but its in SLC UT, and it doesn't have the DS kit on it. (yet) Its got very low hours and maintained buy the Factory mechanic.
So I know its done right.


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445115
__________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
squidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #72
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!


At the same time: you suck. Haven't managed to get mine out and dirty yet. Fucking working's getting in the way!

M

Did I mention that I got this bike off evilbay showing 3000 miles and was the "high" bidder at $1767.00. Not to rub it in , but I'm pleased.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #73
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
Did I mention that I got this bike off evilbay showing 3000 miles and was the "high" bidder at $1767.00. Not to rub it in , but I'm pleased.
By the time I get the lectric leg on, I'll be in the same ballpark $$ wise.

As of now... I won't mention $$ 'cause it'd just make y'all

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #74
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 4,784
In the ballpark after adding the leg? Congrats to you then!
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #75
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
In the ballpark after adding the leg? Congrats to you then!
Yabbut...

Till then, I hafta kick the beast every time! I'm sure it'll get easier with practice, but right now...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014