Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #91
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,309
you didnt mention the price, it should be really cheap as that sounds clapped out. u might be better off buying another as another mentioned.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #92
tsprings
T-bone

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
I haven't found any bikes out there as cheap as this one, it's just that it's in worse cosmetic shape than most. Perhaps I'm making it sound worse than it is. I just like to keep my bikes cleaner and in better shape than this one is in. He wants $1000 for it, I'm hoping to get it for a bit less considering the labor that might be involved. I have no issues spending a little time and money to get this thing cleaned up. Just don't feel like dumping $500 into it. I'd think a 605 with e-start that starts, runs, stops, and doesn't have any mechanical issues would be worth $1000, right?

I think with a new seat cover, tank decals, and some other flair this would look like a completely different bike. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the info.
tsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #93
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsprings
Just don't feel like dumping $500 into it.
Chain, sprockets, muffler: you've spent your $500. Plastics, seat cover, grips, a couple of cables: another $400. You still haven't addressed whatever you think is wrong with the kickstand. Do you still want it?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #94
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
?

Anybody here own or has thrown a leg over one of those 700 cc. intimidator 2-smoke beasts? I just want to know what they're like, I went when I saw them on ATK's website.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #95
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Yeti
Anybody here own or has thrown a leg over one of those 700 cc. intimidator 2-smoke beasts? I just want to know what they're like, I went when I saw them on ATK's website.
I did the same thing till I saw the price.

If there's ONE person in ADV-land that would dig that, itd be Gaspipe. He ain't buyin at ten large.

M
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #96
Recyclerator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Oh gang, new one here

Hello all. New ATK 605DS owner here (97--~4kmiles). Just wonderin if any of you have exp. w/ supertrapp/dellorto 40 adjustment? Mainly, its too loud and gives me a ache. It came w/ 15 plates and I removed 4 of em. Quited it a little but would like more. Supertrapp lady told me fewer plates=richer, better low end, worse high end. I would give up some of that for quiter but don't want to bugger up the mixture too much. Also, the thing also doesn't idle all that well until its very warmed up and even then it dies occasionally.

Work done so far: fork rebuild, rear prolink rebuilt (all WP stuff), added trail tech computer, ditched the broken stock speedo, repaired broken chain roller, fashioned a kickstand support with steel cable (leftover stuff from my old hanggliding/sailing days). I will post picts of that soon.

This baby runs real strong and is a beast.

thanks for any help.

Russ
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #97
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Loving the ATK

I'm currently riding a G650 XCountry, but I want to get something that is primarily an off-road bike that I could still ride a couple hundred miles to get to the dirt. How does it handle on and off road? Is it light? Too light for the highway?

It's awesome that the bike is American made. How hard/expensive is it to do repairs? Any Northeast ATK riders out there?

Hey Bones, I love your bikes. I see you got some ATK/Xcountry lovin' goin on there. Can you compare them?

uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #98
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

There's lots of places to get parts for the lump that don't require going to ADP, but the specific ATK stuff (graphics, tank) American Dirt Bike is the best place I've heard of.

AFA riding it to the trails, etc.: the limitation is the tank size. You've got 3.2 gal of gas. That ain't very far.

I haven't ridden mine too far on the road (no plates, etc.) but it seems that except for my seat, its not a bad ride.

Mine is geared LOW. First is for getting moving, second is for going slowly. I think I top out (comfortably) around 55mph. Can someone say 'geared for off-roading?!'

M
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #99
tsprings
T-bone

Oddometer: 21
Chain Type

What sort of chain would you guys suggest for the ATK? Regina, DID, others? I'm counting 112 links. Owners manual says 520 V.6 O-ring chain. What is the V.6? Can't find any of these online and haven't had time to make it to a parts store.
tsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #100
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
There's lots of places to get parts for the lump that don't require going to ADP, but the specific ATK stuff (graphics, tank) American Dirt Bike is the best place I've heard of.
How complicated is it, mechanically? Can you fix it w/o computers? Could you fix it in a foreign country?

Quote:
AFA riding it to the trails, etc.: the limitation is the tank size. You've got 3.2 gal of gas. That ain't very far.
3.2 galons!? Damn, that's generous. I only get 2.5 on the XCountry. What's the mileage/range like?

Quote:
I haven't ridden mine too far on the road (no plates, etc.) but it seems that except for my seat, its not a bad ride. Mine is geared LOW. First is for getting moving, second is for going slowly. I think I top out (comfortably) around 55mph. Can someone say 'geared for off-roading?!'
hmm, that's too slow for the highways around me. I need to be able to go at least 80. It doesn't need to be comfortable, but it needs to be fast and safe. Can I tune it differently?
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #101
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXcountry
How complicated is it, mechanically? Can you fix it w/o computers? Could you fix it in a foreign country?

3.2 galons!? Damn, that's generous. I only get 2.5 on the XCountry. What's the mileage/range like?

hmm, that's too slow for the highways around me. I need to be able to go at least 80. It doesn't need to be comfortable, but it needs to be fast and safe. Can I tune it differently?
What's the rush?

I've put thousands of miles on my XR in the slow lane. Sure you could gear it taller to blow by everything on the road, but why? You lose too much in dirt.

Patience is a virtue. If the highway scares you take a different route, you'd have more fun that way anyway.

Motorcycle Tours in Guatemala
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #102
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXcountry
Its a Rotax engine. If you can't fix it with a rock and a pair of pliers, yer doing something wrong. Not light, but tough.

Quote:
Ya gotta talk to someone else on this thread to get that answer to outright range, but I've heard that by 120-130-ish miles, there better be a gas station in sight or you *may* have problems. S'why the bikes you've seen in this thread so far, most of em have some kind of aux tank...

Quote:
I'd like to gear it up too 'cause right now I'm in the desert. Don't really *need* the gear to climb that stump. Back east a bit? That's another story!

So far, I'm likin the bike. Admittedly, I haven't ridden it nearly as much as I'd like (see above re: plate as to why) but I'm working on it.

M
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #103
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,386
Figured I should post here as I have a new to me '99 plated 605 with e-start.
First I paid 2 grand for my bike barely running. I figured if I couldn't get it to run right the parts were worth close to that. So a complete good running 605 for a grand is a good deal IMHO.
Now on to my bike, it was way down on power when I bought it, so I took the DelLorto a part and cleaned it. Doing an internet search lead me to believe the DelLorto needed replacing with a Mikuni but when I talked to the guy with the Mukunis he told me a good running DelLorto was a better carb than his Mikuni and offered me some jetting ideas. I found out this Rotax motor was used by KTM and BMW in there early big single enduros. A couple phone calls later I had the jets I needed for 10 bucks. The bike ran better but still fell on it's face about half way thru it's power curve. I felt the carb was fine so I needed to go the next step so I called ATK. There I learned about the crank locking bolt and the cam timing as well as some pointers on the valve adjustment.
Back to the bike I go and armed with my new information I find the cam timing is off by 2 teeth, hmmm no wonder the bike wasn't running right. I fixed that and the cam belt tension and set the valves to spec. I refill the bike with oil and touch it off and there is a marked improvement. I warm the bike then add the rest of the oil as per the book and go for a ride. Holy Sh*t I say this is much faster than my old DR 650. Just shifting into 2nd or 3rd will make the front end hop up. I'm sure it will wheelie with out much effort. What I discovered is this bike is easy to work on and mechanical parts are easy to find, if you know what you're looking for. No one a round here had ATK parts but they did have 40mm DelLorto parts.
Gearing, according to the manual there are three counter sprockets (14-T,15-T,16-T) and 5 rear sprockets(40-T,42-T,44-T,46-T,48-T)
You divide the big number by the little number and that gives you the ratio.The smaller the number the higher the speed. Mine is a 48 tooth rear and a 14 tooth front, 48/14=3.43. Not so good for a fast top speed. In the pile of parts I got with my bike was several different counter sprockets so I'll see if I have a 16-T. 48/16=3.00. much better for a higher top speed.
Basically what that means is the motor turns 3 times to turn the rear wheel 1 time where before the motor had to turn all most 3 1/2 times to turn the rear wheel 1 time.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #104
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
A couple phone calls later I had the jets I needed for 10 bucks

I need jets for my 96...

M
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #105
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:

I need jets for my 96...

M
The quick and easy way is to talk to Keith at American Dirt bike, he'll most likely have what you need and know what questions to ask you.

http://www.americandirtbike.com/

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is offline   Reply With Quote