User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
bowerbird OP
BMW R65

Oddometer: 151
Reynolds Rack Compatibility BMW K75 vs. K1100

I'm hoping someone here knows some particulars about differences in Reynolds racks and their compatibility to different K bikes.

I recently purchased a Reynolds rack for my 1986 K75C. It looked like it might fit but the rear mounting holes did not seem to jive with the mudflap. While fiddling with it, I noticed it was stamped 241.

After reading about these racks online, I discovered that the correct rack for the K75 is the 240. I spoke to the gentleman who sold mt the rack over the phone. He said the 240 and 241 were mutually compatible. I had no real way to contest his claim as there is such sparse info about these.

I did learn that the 241 rack is meant for 4 valve K bikes. The seller of the rack said the rear sections of a K75 and a K1100 are the identical. I've never been around a K1100 so I'm clueless here too.

I'm kind of stuck. If the racks are the same, I don't want through the pain of sending it back only to buy the same thing again. Thanks for any knowledge you may be able to share on this subject.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181
I don't remember the numbers, but we had to cut the corners of the rear fender section on the K75-K100 to mount them. If you wish to carry a serious load on the back of a K, there is nothing better.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post

I did learn that the 241 rack is meant for 4 valve K bikes. The seller of the rack said the rear sections of a K75 and a K1100 are the identical. I've never been around a K1100 so I'm clueless here too.

I'm kind of stuck. If the racks are the same, I don't want through the pain of sending it back only to buy the same thing again. Thanks for any knowledge you may be able to share on this subject.
The 4V K's ran a paralever that could take the wider 18" rim fitted to the RS. As a result, the pannier mounts are set wider apart on the frame. That, and the paralever itself added 2" to the wheelbase which resulted in bm' using a three piece rear guard, compared to your two piece. Which in turn resulted in the rearmost part that holds the plate and tags having different mounting tabs welded to the frame.

The tail housing/cowl is the same part as used on your 75, so those mounting holes are identical.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,418
I would say that judging by the difference in numbers on the racks, 240 vs. 241 they are not mutually compatible. I have a Reynolds for my K75S and have had them on other BMW's and the numbers are very specific. Look them up online even though they are out of business (to the best of my knowledge ) there's info. out there.

Further information; just did a bit of research. It looks like the 241 is only for 4 valve K's as you noted in a previous post. The 240 is for the K75. Install of the 240 does make getting the side cases a bit of a pain to get on off. But it looks like you have the wrong rack.

If you do not wish to send it back they are an easy sell as there are not a lot out there.

durtwurm screwed with this post 04-21-2015 at 07:47 AM
durtwurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
bowerbird OP
BMW R65

Oddometer: 151
Thanks for the detailed replies. The amount of knowledge here is impressive. The seller wont be able to have the rack shipped back for over a week so I'll take your advice and put it in the classifieds and see if anyone on ADV is interested.