Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
unknownperson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Talking Just bought a 1984 XL600R... time to get it running

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums. I just recently sold my dinky Chinese Suzuki-knockoff 200cc supermoto and bought myself a non-running 1984 XL600R thumper with 15k km and an apparent stator problem.

As most people, I need some help and advice to get this bad boy running again. I'm itching to get it on the road or even just to hear it for the first time!

I've been reading a bunch about these bikes and realized pretty early on that getting these bikes started and running was a bit of an issue - but once they get going, the keep on going for a long time. Main issues I heard of were (1) Bad stator, (2) Bad CDI, and (3) Bad coils. Bad rectifier is probably in there somewhere and it all might not be in that order, but as soon as I got my hands on the bike I went ahead and replaced the stator.

This is what I've done so far:

- I bought a brand new Ricky Stator and went ahead and installed it without checking much of anything else. It looks like the stator I pulled out of the bike was a relatively new stator that looked pretty identical to the Ricky Stator that I put in. So... that wasn't a very good sign.
- I charged up the battery, checked voltage on the battery, looked good at 12.8V or so
- Changed the oil, oil filter, and cleaned up the oil strainer
- Checked spark, it was nice, strong, and blue
- Turned on the ignition and had head/tail lights, signals, hud lights, etc.

This is where I'm stuck:

I went to kick start the bike and it would kick over fine but it would never fire up. I tried this for quite a while. Me and a buddy took the bike to the top of a long, steep hill and attempted to bump start it in 2nd and 3rd gear - no dice. There was lots of chugging but nothing getting the bike fired up. No sputtering, no apparent "catching", just chugging like we were turn it over and over manually. The main carb appeared to be dumping fuel heavily out the overflow (seems to be a float issue or clogging?) so that's something that needs to be addressed.

I'm unsure, but this is what I'm trying next:

Since the bike was dumping fuel, my buddy (he's a Mech Eng) suggested that we give the carbs a good cleaning and check the floats on it. So... that's where I'm at now. I'm going to clean the carbs and see what that does. I'm pretty unsure that cleaning the carbs is going to solve our issue but perhaps the bike wouldn't fire up because it simply wasn't getting any fuel?!

I'm at a loss. But moving forward anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to meeting you guys!

-Troy
unknownperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Yeah, if the carb jets are plugged up, it won't fire. Remove the idle jet and see if it's clear. Those tiny bores clog up very easily. Dumping fuel is an indication that your needle isn't seating. Either crud, or sunk floats. I vote for crud.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Go to The XL600 Thread.
There are lots of very helpful XL600 owners there, and a ton of knowledge.

Removing the carbs from an XL600 can be a stupendous bitch. Check the XL600 thread for some tips.
I like to remove all of the engine mounting bolts. That allows the engine to tilt forward to pick up a little (about a 1/2 inch)more working room. A 1/2 inch doesn't sound like much, but it can make a big difference. Good luck. These old XLs are great bikes.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.

JStory screwed with this post 12-08-2014 at 07:47 AM
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,145
If it dumped that much fuel be sure to make sure the oil isn't contaminated with fuel. If this is a radial valve head,there were problems with valve seats coming loose in the heads. CHECK VALVE CLEARANCES. If any are tight and require more than a slight turn of the adjuster to get clearance it may be the problem.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
unknownperson OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys! I'll pull the carbs sometime this week and give them a clean. This is my first time really working on my own bike, or cleaning a carb for that matter, so it might take me a bit.

@baloneyskin: I'll make sure to check valve clearances as well. What issues would this cause?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
If the valves are too tight you can loose compression and this will lead to hard starting.

When pulling the carbs remove the insulating spacer between the head and manifold, then snake out the manifold. This gives just enough room to midwife the carbs out. The bolts holding the manifold to the head are a pain to get to and I recall having to shorten up a tool to be able to turn the fasteners more than a few degrees at a time.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #7
unknownperson OP
Adventurer

Talking She lives!

Moved this to a new thread

unknownperson screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 10:53 AM