User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
rc51owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Question Rino 520Hcx/530Hcx not POI capable? Is only having 500 waypoints a limitation?

Hey Everyone,

noob here in regards to GPS systems. I am looking at Rino 520HCx/530HCx series and noticed that they do not seem to support Points-of-Interest (POIs). Is this true? If so then how does one upload to the device a list of all the gas stations/hotels/etc for a trip?

Also is the reduced number of waypoints (500) compared to the GPSMAP 60Cx/60CSx 1000 a limitation in use?

Regards,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51owner
Hey Everyone,

noob here in regards to GPS systems. I am looking at Rino 520HCx/530HCx series and noticed that they do not seem to support Points-of-Interest (POIs). Is this true? If so then how does one upload to the device a list of all the gas stations/hotels/etc for a trip?

Also is the reduced number of waypoints (500) compared to the GPSMAP 60Cx/60CSx 1000 a limitation in use?
From Page 42 of your Rino 530 HCx manual:
If you downloaded MapSource detailed mapping, use the All Points of Interest category on the Find Menu to locate a nearby restaurant, lodging, landmark, public building, or select a category from the Find Menu.
You can also use Garmin's POI Loader utility (downloadable from their website at www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/) to customize and create your own Points of Interest.

I don't have an issue with the number of waypoints and I occasionally use this GPS personally in my profession. My normal GPS is a very spendy Trimble, but when that accuracy isn't required, the Garmin is a smarter alternative.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote