User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Advice from Ottawa Suzuki owners please

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2014 V-Strom 1000. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 dealerships in the Ottawa area that deal in Suzuki motorcycles, so I am seeking advice or recommendations from the Ottawa area ADV members. Motorsports World on Roydon, or Wheelsport in Orleans? Please don't take this as an opportunity to flame either dealership simply because a salesman was rude to you one time, or a part was late coming in. These things are bound to happen once in a while. What I really want is your take on professionalism, treating the customer as #1, and all around customer experience.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you prefer, and thank you all in advance.
I cannot wait to bring Big Ethel home
Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,564
If it were me...Motorsports. The lesser of two evils

Enjoy the new bike

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,954
I have never really dealt with Wheelsport other than one time to go in and buy a jacket. So as you say, it could have been a one time thing. Though I'm sure others will jump in on what they think of them.

I have not been Motorsports world in years. They may be under new management or have different people working there now. But if you were looking for "professionalism, treating the customer as #1" at that time, that was the farthest thing from their mind. I would not step foot in there again to find out if they improved or not. I would rather deal with the other place down the road then ever go in Motorsports world.

Are you asking about just a place to buy a bike or are you talking about service after you bought the bike? If just buying, go to who ever has the best price. I presume they both have the 2014 on the floor? A little out of town but there is a place in Renfrew that is a Suzuki dealer. I dont know what they have in stock but i bought a Kawasaki from them and was much more happy with their "professionalism, treating the customer as #1" guess that just comes from dealing with a smaller dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberjoe View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2014 V-Strom 1000. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 dealerships in the Ottawa area that deal in Suzuki motorcycles, so I am seeking advice or recommendations from the Ottawa area ADV members. Motorsports World on Roydon, or Wheelsport in Orleans? Please don't take this as an opportunity to flame either dealership simply because a salesman was rude to you one time, or a part was late coming in. These things are bound to happen once in a while. What I really want is your take on professionalism, treating the customer as #1, and all around customer experience.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you prefer, and thank you all in advance.
I cannot wait to bring Big Ethel home

pelvis_98 screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 03:56 AM
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
If you're willing to go to Renfrew, I think these people have the best price.

http://www.centretownmotorsports.ca/
Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 210
Bob's Cycle

I know it's not what you were asking, but I'll throw it out there anyways.
Bob's Cycle in Cornwall has been consistently good to deal with.
I wonder if there isn't another Suzuki dealer within reasonable driving distance to Ottawa that also provides good service?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I guess the best bet is to simply call the 4 talked about dealerships (2 in Ottawa, Cornwall and Renfrew) and see who is willing to give me the best price, then take it from there.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Slow Toast
pfft

Oddometer: 56
Mixed Bag

I've had little luck dealing with Wheelsport. I knew I wanted a DR and they tried to talk me out of it. On the parts end, they've been out of stock on oil filters (the filter on the DR fits dozens of bikes going back to 1980) chain cleaner, chain wax, spark plugs, etc. OTOH, they did install a tire for me (that I hadn't bought from them) late on a Saturday afternoon for $45.

MSW - I haven't had much experience with them. I've bought gear from them, but never parts.

If you're open to something a little further afield; I'm originally from the London area, so I contacted Inglis Cycle - super easy to deal with. They searched for what I wanted, found it & brought it in. I took VIA to London, they picked me up at the train station, and I took nearly 1200km to get home When I'm in the market again, I'll be doing the same thing.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Once again I want to thank you guys for replying and offering advice or sharing your experiences.
Overwhelmingly the consensus is that I should shop at Motorsports World. And after making several phone calls it appears that the new V2 is selling well enough that no one is offering any great deals on price or financing, but I have been able to find wiggle room on dealer prep and licensing.
Having just got the cast off of my left ankle this past Monday, I am going to wait another week or two, then take the V2 for a test run - and mere minutes after that, I am sure to find myself hammering out a deal
Thankfully, MSW has a V2 demo bike in their stable. Kinda sounds like the universe is talking to me huh?

Joe
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #9
Defconfunk
I need to get out more

Oddometer: 184
Joe,

I've been in Motorsports a couple of times. Nothing bad to say about them, although I find the customer service across the street at Good Time much better (I seem to be in the minority of only having had good experiences at OGTC).

I've taken my SV650 to Wheelsport in Orleans a couple of times. Notibly for repair work after someone failed to steal my bike. The guys were good to deal with, and the work was done well, but the work took a long time. Parts delays had me off the bike for over a month (it took over a month to get an ignition barrel). I didn't get the feeling that parts guys were going out of their way to try and source parts faster. I've had parts delays at (car) garages where if the part isn't available from the main company they'll search high and low for it elsewhere to get it to you sooner and/or cheaper. That was not the case here.

Not exaclty damning, and it wouldn't prevent me from buying a bike from them. Since I'm also looking at DLs, I'll look into those other two dealerships suggested :)
Pictures
Defconfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:51 PM   #10
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defconfunk View Post
Joe,

I've been in Motorsports a couple of times. Nothing bad to say about them, although I find the customer service across the street at Good Time much better (I seem to be in the minority of only having had good experiences at OGTC).

I've taken my SV650 to Wheelsport in Orleans a couple of times. Notibly for repair work after someone failed to steal my bike. The guys were good to deal with, and the work was done well, but the work took a long time. Parts delays had me off the bike for over a month (it took over a month to get an ignition barrel). I didn't get the feeling that parts guys were going out of their way to try and source parts faster. I've had parts delays at (car) garages where if the part isn't available from the main company they'll search high and low for it elsewhere to get it to you sooner and/or cheaper. That was not the case here.

Not exaclty damning, and it wouldn't prevent me from buying a bike from them. Since I'm also looking at DLs, I'll look into those other two dealerships suggested :)
Thanks for the feedback Defconfunk. I ended up purchasing at MSW and although the relationship is in it's infancy, I have to say that I am very impressed so far. Chris is a reasonable, fair and knowledgeable businessman who seems to be aware that a happy customer is much more valuable than the simple sale of a motorcycle.