User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quesnel to Houston, BC

I'm taking a little ride up thru western Canada and AK next month. I like to get off the beaten path. I have a dirt route from Quesnel to Houston mapped out and want to ask any locals familiar with the area what the roads are like. Good base? Or do they turn to gumbo when wet? Plan is to camp and fish my way thru.

The route is...

Blackwater road
Batnuni road
Then I make my way west past Chutanli lake on what looks like little logging roads
Natulkuz road to Kenny dam
Marilla FSR westward to Ootsa Lk
Follow the north shore then up the Morice river to hwy 16

Thanks for any intel. -al

ALinUTAH screwed with this post 05-16-2015 at 12:52 PM
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
Sleddog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I've ridden that section off pavement. Not sure if it was on the same roads you have or not. But, we had no problems & it was wet. Send me your email in a PM & I'll forward my tracks to you.

I'm also heading to AK June 1st. I have an off pavement route from South Dakota to Quesnel. BC

Have Fun!
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 995
Something to consider is our forest fire situation up here. Right now we have a couple of big fires burning fairly close to your route. Bear that in mind as back woods access might be restricted when you're planning your ride.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. I wouldn't know what to do with a track. I'm a map guy. We'll roll with the punches on the fires. Or whatever else we run into.

With so many places to explore in BC, I don't know how I will ever make it to Alaska.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Sleddog
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
With so many places to explore in BC, I don't know how I will ever make it to Alaska.

I did that a couple years ago! Only made it to Watson Lake. Then made the mistake of taking the AlCan back; the equivalent of an Interstate! ....That won't happen again
Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
KSO
Grab a Handfull

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I'm taking a little ride up thru western Canada and AK next month. I like to get off the beaten path. I have a dirt route from Quesnel to Houston mapped out and want to ask any locals familiar with the area what the roads are like. Good base? Or do they turn to gumbo when wet? Plan is to camp and fish my way thru.

The route is...

Blackwater road
Batnuni road
Then I make my way west past Chutanli lake on what looks like little logging roads
Natulkuz road to Kenny dam
Marilla FSR westward to Ootsa Lk
Follow the north shore then up the Morice river to hwy 16

Thanks for any intel. -al
Some time ago I asked the same question on a thread. I'm going to do the route your talking about on my way back if the fires allow. On my way up I'm going to cut across just above Clinton and head toward the Gang Ranch and then north toward Quesnel on the west side of the river. Several years ago a good friend of mine worked at the Gang Ranch. Lots of history there so I'll check it out. Leaving the Boise area on the afternoon of June 11th.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

I have that country over there along the Fraser river as an option. I'm going to ride up thru the Kootenay lake area then head west. See you in Dawson?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
Sleddog
Studly Adventurer

West of Clinton about 10 miles is a road that goes north that'll take you through the Gang Ranch.

It's at N51 00.775 W121 46.169 If you stay on that road you will go through the Ranch. However, just a few miles up, (N51 05.002 W121 52.033) there is another road that makes about a 25 mile loop going west & back north. The views are incredible ! It comes back to the original road at N51 16.005 W121 57.811

It's definitely worth the diversion!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
Destructo the Mad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
The roads are no problem for bikes. The area is also packed full of lakes and forestry service campsites. As Mercenary said, forest fires might be a problem this summer, and the other issue is fuel range. The off-pavement route between Quesnel and Houston is 487km (according to BaseCamp) and the only fuel is what is sold at some of the fishing resorts along the way, and I don't know how reliable their supply is.
Destructo the Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

I calculated 285 miles from quesnel to houston. My wee2 will go 300+ puttputting the backroads, and I'll have an extra gallon, which might get used by the other guy on the 800GS. I intend to keep close track of that situation so we can bail north to Fraser Lake if we have to.

I'm so glad to hear the roads are decent. I'm looking forward to this leg of the trip as much as any other. All the lakes and rec areas are what got my attention.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
KSO
Grab a Handfull

Oddometer: 173
What dates do you think you might be in that area?
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #12
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Probably around June 9-11.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #13
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
If you have the BC BackRoads MapBook etc the route is fairly easy to follow Gang Ranch on up but I agree the fire situation (BobTail Lake Fire) right now might make access a bit difficult..Good Luck!!
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote