Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Wink Don't miss current issue of Cycle Canada, Sept / Oct 2014 !

VERY amusing article, on Neil Graham's demo experiences, with a pre-production Polaris Slingshot 3-wheeler.

Article entitled "The Slingshot Files", with a teaser byline on the front cover of "Polaris Slingshot Does Exactly That."

Wave goodbye to Polaris Industries advertising dollars, but kudos for honest journalism, Cycle Canada and editor Neil Graham !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Neil Graham is awesome. He is the best thing that happened to CC since Bruce Reeve left. Costa was a nice guy but not very interesting.

Just don't get Neil going on Buells, bike shows or VStroms! I guess we can add Slingshots to the list.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
I subscribed to Cycle Canada from close to the very beginning until Bruce Reeve left. Costa was as you say a great guy but not a compelling writer. Since Neil Graham took over I've subscribed long term. He's simply the best writer in the business there is at the moment, and that's hard to say as I'm a very good friend of another moto journalist who I consider #2 in the business. Great story teller, not afraid to show his true life and how it works with his passion of motorcycles. If they lose him, they will have big shoes to fill. Perhaps they never will. Cycle World never will fill the shoes of Peter Egan.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
I went and read the article last night. Great piece (as usual). It was pretty measured given that the car tried to kill him! Yes, I called it a car.

He also ended the article on a positive note, expressing his admiration for the Polaris team.

Now we have to see how many owners end up in a swamp... Can you say class action lawsuit?

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
that was/is the real name of the Polaris....slingshot?

sounds like a nickname for a badasser from some Western style yarn....

good lord
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Despite forays into swamps by a Canadian journalist, I still find this unexpected model release by Polaris, really interesting.

Rapid fire development, utilization of a 2.4 litre GM automotive drivetrain (brilliant) and an almost total disregard, for dumbing / numbing down, the visceral excitement of the finished product.

BRP took, I believe, ten years to develop the Can-Am Spyder and it was so safety sanitized, as to be near sterilized before it's release, to the irresponsible public marketplace.

It's just rather amusing that Polaris seems to have taken, almost the exact opposite approach.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Despite forays into swamps by a Canadian journalist, I still find this unexpected model release by Polaris, really interesting.

Rapid fire development, utilization of a 2.4 litre GM automotive drivetrain (brilliant) and an almost total disregard, for dumbing / numbing down, the visceral excitement of the finished product.

BRP took, I believe, ten years to develop the Can-Am Spyder and it was so safety sanitized, as to be near sterilized before it's release, to the irresponsible public marketplace.

It's just rather amusing that Polaris seems to have taken, almost the exact opposite approach.

996DL
Polaris must have higher regard for their litigation lawyers. I've spent 2 hours on a Can-Am, and even with all that electronic intervention, I found it unstable feeling. A Chinese copy tested by Top Gear apparently was a death trap above 50km/hr.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote