User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #2101
Voltsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Sunday ride

So, is anyone, Lycan et al, going out tomorrow?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #2102
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,499
I told FlossandFly that it wouldnt be difficult! LOL. I wasn't expecting 5 or 6 water crossings!

I had a blast, guys; let's ride again, sometime soon.

A few things I learned today

- Crossfires are not waterproof and they squeek when wet! At least they don't look brand new anymore.
- My bike stalls when the sidestand switch is submerged - guess that puppy is coming out.
- My Klim gear crashes good!
- I need to move ahead with putting the RMZ forks on my DR.

Here are my photos:

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #2103
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I told FlossandFly that it wouldnt be difficult! LOL. I wasn't expecting 5 or 6 water crossings!

I had a blast, guys; let's ride again, sometime soon.

A few things I learned today

- Crossfires are not waterproof and they squeek when wet! At least they don't look brand new anymore.
- My bike stalls when the sidestand switch is submerged - guess that puppy is coming out.
- My Klim gear crashes good!
- I need to move ahead with putting the RMZ forks on my DR.

Here are my photos:

Yeah, had to go back through said water crossings to get back too so 5 or 6 times 2! Haha. Great day! Definitely do it again. Lots to explore out there.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #2104
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltsmith View Post
So, is anyone, Lycan et al, going out tomorrow?
Mothers day commitments plus wife's bday on Tuesday means no go tomorrow. Another time though. Always good to meet more like minded dudes.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #2105
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Nice to meet you BeemaKilla and MR. Canoehead. Had a great time. I was going to post some pictures but need a URL? Oh well your pics told the story BeemaKilla. You really put that KTM through it's paces. AWESOME RIDE.
Use photobucket or the tapatalk app for iPhone etc. great to meet you today. Thanks for letting me tag along. Great job today.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #2106
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Thanks for leading the way in that ride Mr CanoeHead. I will get my signal light back on and get a new mirror and be ready to go again.

Got nervous when your bike wouldn't start after being in the water. Would have been a chore getting it out if it didn't fire up again.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #2107
Voltsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
Mothers day commitments plus wife's bday on Tuesday means no go tomorrow. Another time though. Always good to meet more like minded dudes.
No worries. I just might go stare longingly at Powderface
Old 05-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #2108
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
^^^ Looks great guys, what trail did you take, was that Trans Alta? A few of us are still meeting up at Tims Cochrane at 10am for anyone else that is in. Should be sunny warm and dry!
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #2109
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
thanks for leading the way in that ride mr canoehead. I will get my signal light back on and get a new mirror and be ready to go again.

got nervous when your bike wouldn't start after being in the water. Would have been a chore getting it out if it didn't fire up again.
+1
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #2110
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Yep, it was Transalta. In the Backroads book it is called Ghost Creek road. You get to see lots of the creek!

Go past the End of Trail sign to get to the park border. We were all glad we didn't stop at that sign.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #2111
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Trans Alta Road is just north of Waiprous on the Trunk road. Where the pavement ends and the gravel takes a 90 degree right. As soon as the gravel goes right, it is on the north (left) side of the road. You will cross a cattle gate and see a information board on the right. That's it. It goes west to the Valley that feeds Minnawanka lake. Nice ride. about a kilometer and a half you will cross a narrow wooden bridge over a stream and get to a muddy spot (sometimes), stay right and go up the hill. There is a riding lodge out a ways and plenty of spots to camp with great views. If you go doiwn the hill at the end of the road into the valley there is another camp area along the river bed on the left. The hill is usually badly rutted and full of loose rock so be careful if your tires are marginal. You can also follow the valley (when the water is low) all the way to Devil's Gap, the boundry to Banff Park.

Note: You can not take a motorized vehicle beyond that point and the signs clearly state this.
This was where we were today route-wise I believe. AWESOME. even jumped the big girl on some of the rock riddled whoops with some good speed. Escaped without front wheel damage or pinch flats! Mr Canoehead had been before so he was our guide.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #2112
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Quote:
Got nervous when your bike wouldn't start after being in the water. Would have been a chore getting it out if it didn't fire up again.
You were nervous? - imagine how I felt! We'd have found a way, I'm sure. It is amazing how sudden the cutoff was - same water hole both times.

It would have sucked to be there alone with a dead bike - we only saw a couple of vehicles all day (and only one after the first water cross) and I don't think the hippy chick in the camper van would have been much help!

Reminds me that Atomic Moto had a tow strap for bikes and I thought it looked like a good idea!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #2113
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
You were nervous? - imagine how I felt! We'd have found a way, I'm sure. It is amazing how sudden the cutoff was - same water hole both times.

It would have sucked to be there alone with a dead bike - we only saw a couple of vehicles all day (and only one after the first water cross) and I don't think the hippy chick in the camper van would have been much help!

Reminds me that Atomic Moto had a tow strap for bikes and I thought it looked like a good idea!
It was probably the vent line for your carb if you haven't put a "T" in the line with one line up high. A friend with a KLX 250 had the same problem last year, probably in the same spot.

I see Parks Canada re-roofed the Kiosk at the north park boundary with fancy new shingles.

Another 3 hours and I'll be at Timmies in Cochrane ready to head out the same way. Are you joining us Voltsmith?

I went south yesterday to Explore a road or two that I saw on a map, nothing to complicated, and took some beauty shots along the way.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 08:17 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #2114
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
It was probably the vent line for your carb if you haven't put a "T" in the line with one line up high. A friend with a KLX 250 had the same problem last year, probably in the same spot.
I think you are right. I was looking at the bike when I got home and I noticed that the vent line was the only other thing at that level.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #2115
dsdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
nice shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Blackfoot Motosports (no R) is your best option, not the best prices around, but definitely the best selection. Its fairly central - google maps is your friend. For a big city Calgary doesnt have any mega stores like the US, just a number of smaller shops (aside form Blackfoot).
You were spot on, nice store , i was drooling , so many makes and models under one roof.
I mulled around for about an hour looking at bikes and gear. Not many shops can you see
into the repair area, it also looked above average.
dsdude is offline   Reply With Quote