Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #2116
Voltsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post

Another 3 hours and I'll be at Timmies in Cochrane ready to head out the same way. Are you joining us Voltsmith?

Limited time today due to Mother's Day (Our boys are grown and left the nest so it's up to me to spoil her now ) so I didn't think I venture up that way from Okotoks. I just took a leisurely trip up through MacLean Creek and down to the gate on 66 heading for Powderface.
Next weekend we're in Saskatoon so I'll definitely be up for a ride the following weekend.

Only 70 more sleeps and I get to experience Simon Pavey's Off Road Skills course in Wales. Can't wait
Old 05-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #2117
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,452
So, I was comparing our "vehicles prohibited" sign to the previous posts and I realized they were different.

So I went to the maps and discovered we made a wrong turn at the berm at the dry river bed across from the campground. We went north when we should have gone south on the berm.

We ended up at the boundary of a wildlife area rather than Banff.

So much for my navigating. :what:I'll post the map later.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #2118
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
So, I was comparing our "vehicles prohibited" sign to the previous posts and I realized they were different.

So I went to the maps and discovered we made a wrong turn at the berm at the dry river bed across from the campground. We went north when we should have gone south on the berm.

We ended up at the boundary of a wildlife area rather than Banff.

So much for my navigating. :what:I'll post the map later.

Still a great day. Just means more to explore next time. Is that why it was gnarlier than you first thought?
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #2119
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Upon further inspection today the front wheel did take a couple of hits that dimpled and flat spotted my rim in a couple spots. More battle scars. Haha.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #2120
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
I was the guy who talked to you in the Timmies parking lot.

Just got back from camping. Cooked. Hiked about 20km and now have a sunburn. haha.

Beautiful weather out there this weekend!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #2121
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
Upon further inspection today the front wheel did take a couple of hits that dimpled and flat spotted my rim in a couple spots. More battle scars. Haha.
I got a few more battle scars today as well. Thanks guys (Ryderpatrol, Durden) for helping pick up the 990. I just didn't have the energy today after yesterdays' ride. I have been up and down that spot a dozen times and had no trouble, not sure what my problem was today.

We figured out the kiosks were different, once we got to Devils gap, and the signs on the board were different, as well as the shingles. We went as far as the stream to the north, then all the way south to the Banff park boundary.

Durden, RyderPatrol, Lycan 1

The North End

Lycan1 screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 08:14 PM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #2122
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Still a great day. Just means more to explore next time. Is that why it was gnarlier than you first thought?
Yep, that's why it was farther, too. I'm in to go look again some time. I was going to scan the map at my office but didn't get to it today.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #2123
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I was the guy who talked to you in the Timmies parking lot.

Just got back from camping. Cooked. Hiked about 20km and now have a sunburn. haha.

Beautiful weather out there this weekend!
Yeah great weather. Hope you enjoyed it out there. Lemme know when you get your bike back from Phoenix.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #2124
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
I got a few more battle scars today as well. Thanks guys (Ryderpatrol, Durden) for helping pick up the 990. I just didn't have the energy today after yesterdays' ride. I have been up and down that spot a dozen times and had no trouble, not sure what my problem was today.

We figured out the kiosks were different, once we got to Devils gap, and the signs on the board were different, as well as the shingles. We went as far as the stream to the north, then all the way south to the Banff park boundry.
Nice! Must've been a good long day!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #2125
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Nice! Must've been a good long day!
Not bad, left Cochrane at 10:30 and was back home for 15:30, in time to cook dinner for my wife. I am totally bagged after 2 days riding, yesterday was a bit longer, but today felt tougher. A lighter bike with better rear rubber, or steroids and a gym membership, decisions, decisions

No puddles under the bike this evening, so I didn't beat her too bad. I might go over the bike and check that nothing loosened up after the pot-hole-fest on Trans Alta, the powder coat wasn't up to the challenge on the skid plate, but she took a few noisy hits to be sure.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #2126
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Was a great ride today, perfect weather, thanks for setting it up Lycan! Here are a few pics I got from todays ride, sorry I had to post the last one.

Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #2127
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
I might go over the bike and check that nothing loosened up after the pot-hole-fest on Trans Alta, .

I'm sure the bike is fine. I'd be worried if it wasn't.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #2128
ckracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
hi all...been a lurking for a while...be nice to meet some of you guys at some point.....i have been riding out there on my 450...havent taken the big bike out there yet....soon though!...nice pics....jealous that im on the east coast working and not riding!

cheers
ckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #2129
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Was a great ride today, perfect weather, thanks for setting it up Lycan! Here are a few pics I got from todays ride, sorry I had to post the last one.

No problem, good action shot even if it was me having a brain fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I'm sure the bike is fine. I'd be worried if it wasn't.
Other than a few paint chips the bike is in good shape. Now all washed and paint repaired. You have to like black crash bars, they are so easy to touch up.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #2130
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Hi All,
Durden, RyderPatrol, Lycan 1 - I think we saw each other out on Saturday. It was on the berm as you three were leaving. I was on my white F800GS and my buddy Kevin was on his red Versys. We had a great day as well. A couple of spills in the deep gravel and the Versys had a few issues getting back onto the berm where your bike took a nap...
We were in a bit of a time crunch so didn't linger anywhere too long. For others wanting to ride out there it was a great trip. We left Calgary (Tuscany) at about 1:30, stopped for gas in Cochrane, out to the park boundary sign to the south (I think...not the devils gap one anyway) and back to Calgary by 4:15. Three hours can be done but allowing 4 makes for a more relaxing ride.
See you on the road.