Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #3091
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Having never been offroad before in my life I did this course last year and learned more about riding a bike in one day than 5 years of riding on the street. Having access to the entire Wildrose park was a pretty great experience too. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
After having the course recommended by a few fellow riders I decided to give it a shot. The weather was crap by lunch time and got worse by the end, but other than that it was a great day. For me, it served to help hone skills that I had already been working on but in a safe environment. The instructors were very analytical and encouraging and did a good job of keeping us working. The warm up exercises were strange, but designed to test your control and handling of your machine, and perhaps your fitness level. Lots of bikes had low speed drops (I did once) but no one hurt since we were all wearing good gear. It was a blast being able to play on the whole of Wildrose Motor Sport Park, which (unless you are a moto-crosser) will otherwise never happen. The wind, dust, and snow made it extra challenging, but it beat a day in the office hands down.

Cudos to Richard, Trevor , JR, and Roz for putting on a great course!

Thankfully the roads were only wet going home after the course finished.

Link: http://www.blackfootonline.com/euro_bmw_gs_training.php
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #3092
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Looks like fun!

Anybody interested in an overnighter maybe next weekend? (not this up coming one, I'm heading to Koocanusa to get arm pump)

Actually two weeks works better. Then my buddy is back from sunning himself.

In either event, I hope to do lots of riding this year.

Tour of Idaho in July!:
http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #3093
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
After having the course recommended by a few fellow riders I decided to give it a shot. The weather was crap by lunch time and got worse by the end, but other than that it was a great day. For me, it served to help hone skills that I had already been working on but in a safe environment. The instructors were very analytical and encouraging and did a good job of keeping us working. The warm up exercises were strange, but designed to test your control and handling of your machine, and perhaps your fitness level. Lots of bikes had low speed drops (I did once) but no one hurt since we were all wearing good gear. It was a blast being able to play on the whole of Wildrose Motor Sport Park, which (unless you are a moto-crosser) will otherwise never happen. The wind, dust, and snow made it extra challenging, but it beat a day in the office hands down.

Cudos to Richard, Trevor , JR, and Roz for putting on a great course!

Thankfully the roads were only wet going home after the course finished.
With all those Beemers it looks like you were out numbered...but not out gunned!
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #3094
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Lol! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
With all those Beemers it looks like you were out numbered...but not out gunned!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #3095
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru297 View Post
not entirely true. This is determined by your static vs race sag. You can have the correct spring and have your compression damping too low and you will bottom out.
I did set my race sag toward the high side but i will decrease my race sag (increase preload) a bit and see if that helps as well as turning up the compression damping.
Although my static sag is a bit too high as well so your conclusion may be right!

Plus i will only be adding weight to the bike for trips so a stronger spring is probably in my future anyway....
+1
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #3096
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 751
[QUOTE=Subaru297;21297669]Not entirely true. This is determined by your static vs race sag. You can have the correct spring and have your compression damping too low and you will bottom out.

+1
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #3097
BCT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Transalta Road

Can anyone report on the condition of the transalta as far as the park boundary? Thinking of heading out that way after work tomorrow.
BCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #3098
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Heading to Kooc this weekend if anybody wants a ride down there, or wants to ride.

I'll be on my dirt bike so light dual sports willing to ride singletrack, or people with dirtbikes.

One spot available. Could hotel or camp.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #3099
Up&Downer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
New Tires?

After looking at the pictures of your ride I notice everyone has knobby tires, to join on one of these rides do you think I should wait and get get tires for my dl 1000 or would the stock one do for now? Not interested in anything too technical just getting back into riding.
Up&Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #3100
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

I did Alaska ans some pretty serious dirt riding on michelin anakee 2 with my KLR. You should fine, what is the tire you have on there now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Downer View Post
After looking at the pictures of your ride I notice everyone has knobby tires, to join on one of these rides do you think I should wait and get get tires for my dl 1000 or would the stock one do for now? Not interested in anything too technical just getting back into riding.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #3101
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Flossandfly is the only real hooligan rider here .

I'm going to try and make the 10 am Sunday meet...all depends on how the fork seal replacement goes...starting them now.
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #3102
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I can ride in the morning tomorrow. I will try to be at timmies at 10:00 to see everyone and join the ride for a while.

Is hooligan a bad handle to have?? I do like getting off the main road and see what my bike can do. Maybe hooligan riding explains why my rear tires never last as long as other people say theirs last. I thought riding with a reflective vest would exempt me from hooligan status.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #3103
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Would like to ride on Sunday but golfing.... then at 6pm I pickup Hannes from Belgium at the airport to help him on his ride to Alaska. If anyone wants to get together Monday in the evening to say hi and help him feel at home in Canada PM me for an address. We are spending the day getting insurance and registration.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #3104
ArcticDingo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi all

My wife and I are from Brisbane Austrailia and are planning a cross Canada trip starting in Calgary in June 2014.

The initial plan will have us heading west to Vancouver Island and then up the inside passage by ferry to Prince Rupert, Whitehorse and then making our way to Inuvik before heading south again to Calgary to complete the first leg.

We are interested in buying and preparing two DR650's locally rather than shipping ours from here. Does anyone have any recommendations for good dealerships in Calgary that would be able to help?

Also any tips for route planning would be great.

Cheers

David
ArcticDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #3105
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Blackfoot motorsports is one of the biggest bike shops in Canada. They have everything you need;however, they are pricey, and service is spotty at best, in its bad imho.

In terms of getting your gear for your bikes I would checkout "aviciouscycle.ca" they have a TON of stuff for pretty well ever bike out there and their prices are good. (you place an order and they ship it to you) I've order wwwaaayyy too much tons from them. Lol! But their service is excellent. That's the best way to go IMO.

If you have any further questions feel free to PM. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDingo View Post
Hi all

My wife and I are from Brisbane Austrailia and are planning a cross Canada trip starting in Calgary in June 2014.

The initial plan will have us heading west to Vancouver Island and then up the inside passage by ferry to Prince Rupert, Whitehorse and then making our way to Inuvik before heading south again to Calgary to complete the first leg.

We are interested in buying and preparing two DR650's locally rather than shipping ours from here. Does anyone have any recommendations for good dealerships in Calgary that would be able to help?

Also any tips for route planning would be great.

Cheers

David