User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #3601
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I'm in too!

So far we have what looks like Me, Expat, Xsocal, Durden, Floss&Fly, and maybe a couple of others. I will reserve a spot(or two) at Payne Lake if they take reservations. I'll know tomorrow. I have Monday and Tuesday off now as well to do a northern loop past Mountain Park, Cadomin, Hinton. Weather looks good for the weekend!

Since we like our acronyms on ADV I'll call it the A.F.D.C.D.S.R 1 or Alberta Fall Dual Color Dual Sport Ride One. We seem to only have 2 colors in fall here, yellow and green.[/QUOTE]
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #3602
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Limestone Mtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie348 View Post
Hey Dean - sounds like you had a blast! I have another friend here in Sundre who would like to do limestone with us - he is just waiting for repairs to finish up on his KLR from a recent bad spill.
I am hoping towards the end of sept - things are already cooling off in the morning and evening here so I don't want to go too late.
I will touch base with my friend but he hopes to have the bike back soon.
Just sent you a PM. Would love to do this ride... Gotta find time!

Can you legally ride up Limestone on a dirt bike? Curious because if I go out dirt biking Sunday, maybe we can combine this with a dirt bike ride.

Cheers,

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #3603
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Waiporous trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
Yes the garmin is a good idea as there are a lot of trails that are not marked on the map so navigation can be confusing. I have one on my bars with a ram mount and I'm never lost even if I don't know precisely where I'm going. The marked trails are also the worst ones because they are often giant mud holes. the good stuff is unmarked and therefore illegal. you can use the GPS to either stay on the legal trails or navigate once you are off them. Can't plead stupid to the rangers if they catch you though...
Thanks for the info. My friend has a Garmin. I will look into a RAM mount.

Too bad the marked/legal trails are so crappy. Wish they would add to the legal trails. Anyone know the problem/reasons?

Thanks,

Dean

To any god or government
But change is...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #3604
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Reason!

The powers that be are closing more and more land. And of course there are more and more off roaders using less and less trails, which are being destroyed. Back in the 70s, it was all wide open. We could ride anywhere from Calgary to Canmore and Coleman to Edmonton. Of course the advent of Quads has done a big number on ruining what was great single track and putting a lot more people in the driver seat. Now we've got a very small chunk in MacLean Creek and a few bits around Wiaprous and Indian Graves. Lucky for some of us older dirt riders, we got to enjoy the good times. Gave it up myself in the 90s when I realized all I was doing now was riding from one mud hole to the next mud hole every 100 meters.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #3605
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Thanks for the info. My friend has a Garmin. I will look into a RAM mount.

Too bad the marked/legal trails are so crappy. Wish they would add to the legal trails. Anyone know the problem/reasons?

Thanks,

Dean
They are trying to manage the impact by reducing the number of trails. Use in the area is up a lot over the past 10 years and the increased weight of quads and side-by-sides has a large impact on how hammered the trails get. There is currently a land use planning ongoing and I'm told that there will be a draft plan released for comment in September. I was talking to some guy on the trail who was raving about how they were going to close it all. I doubt that's the plan but I'm not sure how organized the OHV community is. What's needed is a professional looking submission to the land use board. This guy was kind of nuts, I wouldn't be confident putting him in front of a meeting hahahah.

I think this is the relevant page.
https://landuse.alberta.ca/RegionalP...s/default.aspx
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #3606
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
XSoCal, I'd like to see the video of what it looks like when you get around to posting your vid.

I have a couple of days this weekend (Fri/Sat) to go for a ride.
What would you guys recommend for points south on an overnight trip keeping in mind all the closures we still have going on.
Thanks
I guess it's a couple of weeks old now, but here is the video showing the washouts on 532. Once again it's me and Floss&Fly on the big bikes. The last one, where we turned back, is doable on XR650's or equivalent, or even on bigger bikes if you can get down into the gully. The edges were too sharp when we were there, but might be better now.

XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #3607
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
I just got word and the start-up meeting is now scheduled for Sept 25. This means I'll be free to extend this ride south or west. If anyone else is interested in tacking on a few days in BC or Montana/ Idaho lets talk. I 'm down for whatever as long as the weather stays like this Conditions should be prime. I'd be interested in anything that gets me back to town wednesday or thursday.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #3608
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Looks like fun. Enjoy the ride guys!

I'd participate if it wasn't for prior camping plans.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #3609
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Shrinking off road areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
The powers that be are closing more and more land. And of course there are more and more off roaders using less and less trails, which are being destroyed. Back in the 70s, it was all wide open. We could ride anywhere from Calgary to Canmore and Coleman to Edmonton. Of course the advent of Quads has done a big number on ruining what was great single track and putting a lot more people in the driver seat. Now we've got a very small chunk in MacLean Creek and a few bits around Waiparous and Indian Graves. Lucky for some of us older dirt riders, we got to enjoy the good times. Gave it up myself in the 90s when I realized all I was doing now was riding from one mud hole to the next mud hole every 100 meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
They are trying to manage the impact by reducing the number of trails. Use in the area is up a lot over the past 10 years and the increased weight of quads and side-by-sides has a large impact on how hammered the trails get. There is currently a land use planning ongoing and I'm told that there will be a draft plan released for comment in September. I was talking to some guy on the trail who was raving about how they were going to close it all. I doubt that's the plan but I'm not sure how organized the OHV community is. What's needed is a professional looking submission to the land use board. This guy was kind of nuts, I wouldn't be confident putting him in front of a meeting hahahah.

I think this is the relevant page.
https://landuse.alberta.ca/RegionalP...s/default.aspx
Thanks guys,

I figured these were probably the reasons... Overuse from bikes, quads, side by sides, 4x4s, etc. Waiparous has sure changed from 1991-1992; and for the worst. Riding he Guide Camp Road, I was amazed at how choppy it has become, with multiple trails criss-crossing it so you really have to ride slower and be extremely aware of idiots pulling out without looking. I hate riding "from one mud hole to the next mud hole every 100 meters." Red Cat is sadly accurate! Is it the same in MacLean?

I will follow up on the suggested link. I hope we don't lose more areas to stupidity, damage... But odds appear against us.

I will have to check out BC as I hear there is a lot more good off-roading there...

After enjoying Bend OR the past three summer holidays (mountain bikes, hiking, sightseeing, etc)... Guys you absolutely need to ride Oregon!!! Can't say enough about it. Hope to take my motorbikes with me next time!

http://www.rideatvoregon.org/

Dean

To any god or government
But change is...
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #3610
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Is it the same in MacLean?
Depends - if you stick to the quad trails it can be. But if you venture on to the many single-track trails mapped and now signed by RMDRA, you will find spectacular riding, especially up high on the ridges. There are some decent barriers to quad use on some of the single-track (narrow entrance gates, steep side-hills) being employed to keep the 4-wheelers from poaching those trails set aside just for motorcycles.

If you own a dirt bike you owe it yourself to join the RMDRA and get one of their maps for McClean Creek. And whether you join or not, consider giving them a hand with maintaining the trails. There is a ton of work to do each year keeping those trails in shape.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #3611
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Yes!

Dirt/gravel riding in the USA has us beat by a long shot. So much more available down there and much better stuff especially in the West. Montana is awesome too and a lot closer. Less restrictions. More fun. Less hassel. Been heading that way more and more as BC becomes more communist.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #3612
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Looks like I can only get out for the day Sat, but that give me pretty much all day to ride and I can just slab it back a few hours before sunset. I would have loved to camp, but unfortunately have to be back in Calgary in the AM.

Regardless, looking forward to it, see you guys tomorrow morning.

Floss- Did you trade up your XL?
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #3613
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Politics aside, it is just so much cheaper to ride in the US., 60 cent a liter cheaper than B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Dirt/gravel riding in the USA has us beat by a long shot. So much more available down there and much better stuff especially in the West. Montana is awesome too and a lot closer. Less restrictions. More fun. Less hassel. Been heading that way more and more as BC becomes more communist.

I agree. The states is awesome for riding. Colorado, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and Cali. Even New Mexico I found amazing, and Arizona even offers a lot! (and very relaxed laws regarding OHV use).

Can't wait. Thinking of Moab this spring to prime the season. Kooc in a few weeks.

Hotels, food, and gas all cheaper. What else can you ask for? Better service? That comes free! Liquor? You bet!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #3614
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
No problem, easy to slab back from Waterton. The ride from Coleman (actually from Blairmore) to Waterton is a great ride with almost ZERO other traffic.

Anyone else that wants to join just for the Saturday, or guys that need to get home faster on Sunday will have ample jump off points to jump on pavement and "make a mile" back home. The Payne Lake to Pincher is an interesting little run as well, just the usual COW hazards along the way.

Floss didn't trade, he added a V-Strom to the stable.
Well I was going to work tomorrow but that can wait until Monday. See you at the Tim Hortons before 9am for just the Sat. portion of the ride.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #3615
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Love to join but busy here all weekend. Got out today though. I'm running a few errands that way tomorrow. May see you guys off and say hi.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote