Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #226
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Huh........you were running 80 mph thru traffic and close enough to your wingman that you could read his speedo gauge clearly..... Seriously?

p.s. I don't care what bike you buy, ride, or lust for. Really, I don't. I'm just sharing my actual experience on these two machines, of which, I have a LOT. Hope its helpful to someone. And yes, over the years, I've done a lot of mods to my WRR. You can follow many of them here: www.WRRdualsport.com
That sounds bad doesn't it ! I live most of the year in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and we have some really bad habits here. The first week I'm back in the US even when I think I'm riding conservative its not. Just so you know though I wasn't constantly looking at it - I would describe it more as crisscrossing paths a coule times and seeing what his speedometer said when we did.

I've read many of your posts on the WRR mega thread and have appreciated them - thanks!

Albie where is the ideal place to ride a hyabusa? I remember reading a shootout between it and the ZX-14 in which if I remember the hyabusa was slightly faster but they were all real impressed with how amazingly comfortable the ZX-14 was. Riding across the interstate of West Texas or Montana I've always thougths those would be the best weapons of choice. You know the 690 can't handle it!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #227
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
That is a waayy kool WR!!!

Appreciate it. I'm loving her more everyday. 4K miles and really smoothing out. Was going to get a FMF programmer... but think not now.

madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #228
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
BTW this is with a DRZ400E, since noone buys the S here in Au.
There is big difference between the E and S models here. The S is much heavier, has a thicker base gasket (less compression) and a mickey-mouse CV carb - A well setup E model can hang with an open-class WR in many dirt situations.
You are right, the E model has much more HP than the WRR, but here in the states (most of them anyway) we are stuck with the S model. I owned one and didn't find the rather modest increase in horsepower (compared to the WRR) a good enough reason to offset the vibration, higher cg, and lack of a sixth gear. I enjoy the WRR on both dirt and hiway much more than the DRZ-S, and a lot of that is the fun factor of just being able to toss it around more easily.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #229
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Such a good thread! Thanks for your opinions
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #230
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I had a stock Wr250r
I traded it (in a round about way) for a DRZ400s with 3x3 mod and a Yoshi pipe
On a few occasions I was able to race some bigger bikes on the WR and I could kind of keep up in the turns but on straights they would leave me in the dust. My buddy has a stock DRZ and was leaving me on the straights and forget the hills! The KTM’s where gone! At the end of the day on the WR I was so tired of shifting up and down up and down as we went up and around and down and up again that my right shin could hardly make my foot shift anymore.
As for vibes the WR does and right in the seat!
Suspension was a sink bug and I could never dial it in and hated it I am 6’ and 195
I loved the sound that came out of the WR just fantastic! Like a 1/4 R1!
BUT.. With a skid plate WTF is that God awful noise it is like the motor was about to blow up! Yuk!
The cost of doing the mods with the power commander and new seat and reworked suspension cha-ching!
The DRZ400s is cheaper, bigger speedo, more power, more torque, easier to wheelie, better suspended, and I have never had a problem with the carb in all elevations summer through winter.
I have owned

YZ250f
Wr250f
Wr250r
FZ6
400exc
450exc
640e
XR250
DL1000
DS80
and the DRZ400

To me the DRZ takes the prize!

Ohenry

ohenry screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 02:15 PM
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #231
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Just the other day I got the chance to ride with some DRZ's on my KLX351. I didn't ride the DRZ's themselves though or know how hard the owners were pushing them.

I really like the KLX 351 w/pumper/pipe etc.

I'm sure it beats the DR400 stock for hp and is about on par torque - + it has the 6th gear and is lighter.\
Usually smaller bikes have less vibe but the DR400 might be one of the smoothest singles out there.

I'd love to see a shootout covering all kinds of riding situations with a
WR250R
WR290R
KLX351
DRZ 400 both stock and modified as well as a plated E model.

Of course include the price in the test and those reading them could decide what they thought was the best bike "for the money" (Some think adding 1000 is huge; others think if it revolutionized the bike its a small price to pay).
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #232
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Just the other day I got the chance to ride with some DRZ's on my KLX351. I didn't ride the DRZ's themselves though or know how hard the owners were pushing them.

I really like the KLX 351 w/pumper/pipe etc.

I'm sure it beats the DR400 stock for hp and is about on par torque - + it has the 6th gear and is lighter.\
Usually smaller bikes have less vibe but the DR400 might be one of the smoothest singles out there.

I'd love to see a shootout covering all kinds of riding situations with a
WR250R
WR290R
KLX351
DRZ 400 both stock and modified as well as a plated E model.

Of course include the price in the test and those reading them could decide what they thought was the best bike "for the money" (Some think adding 1000 is huge; others think if it revolutionized the bike its a small price to pay).
I'm so sory. I haven't been following the KLX250 thread since they are heavy as shit, undersprung amd underpowered. Are you all really punching them right past 300cc to 350cc now? how is the reliability now that you imcreased the engine's stress by 40%(!)? What did you do about the suspension? How much did this all cost and how much WILL it cost if/when the engine grenades or you do much more maintenance?

The wr/KLX comparo has been done to death. The WR wins. The DR comparison is NOT as clear cut. Although it only weighs slightly more than the WR/KLX it doesn't werar it well. Tons more low end grunt on the DRZ and as reliable as a door stop. Read this thread and all over the net. Lots of good info abou it.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #233
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,205
The 351 kits have been out for a long time...since maybe 2006 or 2007? I have the 214th 351 jug just installed on mine. Suspension upgrades includes heaver springs all around and gold valves in the forks. Still no rebound damping adjustment in forks. Rear shock may be valved sometime. My bro has a WR250R and we switch bikes on the trail. The KLX as a 250 had better low rpm grunt, even better now with the 351. The WR has a high rpm slam that some really enjoy and that can be fun, but I just don't like it on the tight twisty steep rough trail. I'll keep my KLX and wouldn't trade it for his WR. To each his own, eh?
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #234
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
I'm so sory. I haven't been following the KLX250 thread since they are heavy as shit, undersprung amd underpowered. Are you all really punching them right past 300cc to 350cc now? how is the reliability now that you imcreased the engine's stress by 40%(!)?
Before I bought the bike I did a bunch of research and would say the KLX250 is perhaps the most "improveable" dual sport out there. When they don't make what you want stock that is an interesting category.

For example with about $1,300 you can almost double the rear wheel hp. Going by cycleworlds # you've got about 17 with the KLX250, 22 with the WRR (but less torque). Bill Blue got 16.8 stock and has 32 with his 351, 36mm pumper, pipe, porting etc.
Other's in that easy to improve category would have been the XR650R that had about 35 hp stock but in about 30 minutes you were closer to 50. WR450F - horrible stock with the throttle lock...
My 690 enduro - for $1,400 you might get another 10% hp at best....

A huge question of course on the KLX351 is how reliable it is. After all that is what the DR,WRR,KLX,XR categories are all about and that is an important consideration. I'm just finishing up 10,000km on a 4 week trip thru SE Asia - no problems but of course I'm hoping for about 4x that.

The KLX351 vs DR400 isn't too close. On the road the gear spread/6th gear is so much better. (I have the older style KLX; lighter, more suspension and wider tranny). Off road it beats the DR by about 30 lbs. The KLX has a bit more hp and a bit less torque.
Of course you can mode the DR to have more HP than the KLX - for me though, I've found it so hard to overcome narrow transmissions - easier to double your hp so it's good to think about when you are thinking of a base vehicle to mod from.

I'm imaging a well sorted WR290R would make me happier in most all categories than my 351 with one exception - the KLX is so easy to work on IF something goes wrong.

Here in SE Asia though the KLX is the most common bike in this category and there are no WRR and when traveling around the world you want more common. On that note I'd pick Yamaha for Africa, Honda for Mexico/Central America & definitely Kawasaki for Asia.

Though the subject has been talked about tons, there are so many variables comparing modded bikes that it's always helpful to get more comparisons... WR290R vs DR440 in reliablity and freeway miles? :)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #235
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
I don't think those big bore kits on the WRR are a good idea, it's designed to rev and how will it do that with a bigger piston! Perhaps another piston would be a good idea
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #236
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Best one for the USA?

I have very similar requirements to the OP and have just read this entire thread. Still wondering how he finally went. So after reading this thread I decided I want the WR, no the DRZ, no perhaps start with the KLX250 and go 350 bore after warranty expires. Does anyone have different advice since I am coming off old 250 (a bit too slow) and a KTM450 (way too twitchy for comfortable trail riding)? Perhaps I should just stick with the TW?

A bit more about my situation follows: I am 6"1 and 220lbs (plus gear). My 1983 Honda XL250r was purchased new in 1983 and currently has 6000 very hard miles. I like to tractor down trails because while trees (unlike cars) don't jump out in front of you, slamming into them would hurt. I purchased a 2011 KTM450exc to replace the XL because I wanted more power in a lighter frame. The KTM is a blast but far too high strung for me. I like riding it but it is twitchy. Stock it ran terribly lean (unsafe on the street due to stalling). Put in jetting kit and now it is better but still too "either on / or off" for me so my son usually rides it. I am on a TW200 we purchased for him to learn to ride. I would love a bigger more powerful TW for around town and 60mph pavement / gravel road cruising. I rarely go past 60 as I am just not comfortable cruising that fast and possibly sliding down the slab at that speed (even though I am ATGATT at speeds over 25mph). At a minimum I always wear boots, gloves, helmet and usually padded jacket at speeds up to 45mph as my safety concerns are exactly the same as OP.

I recently enjoyed (and will again) riding NC Appalachian paved and gravel twisties on the TW. It really is a well balanced bike as it does everything fairly well. But would like a bit more power, better suspension, more comfort and less buzziness than the TW at 60mph. Being less "slumped over" as on the stock TW would be nice as well. Your thoughts?
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #237
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
jimhaleyscomet - you can hardly go wrong with any of these 3 bikes, they're all reliable, and all have their positives and negatives.

DR-Z400S is tallest and heaviest and most powerful out of the crate.

KLX250S is cheapest, lowest seat, and has the 351 kit available to make it into the perfect size small dual-sport, IMO

WR250R is a great bike, but tall & pricey. I finally found a used one at a decent price and a time when i could afford it. Power is surprisingly good, with lower gearing torque doesn't seem to be an issue, and fuel injection is nice.

You mentioned warranty, suggesting you plan to buy new. Some folks do that, though I have (knock on wood) had great luck buying used, and the savings sure do help pay for accessories.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #238
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

I think John's comments are right on.

I would just add that of the 3 the KLX and DR would be opposite the KTM 450 in terms of being the least "twitchy". It's not the whole story, but the higher the torque % to hp usually means less twitchy feeling.

Just thought I'd add here from my older post my KLX351 is up to 18,000 km now with no problems. Just under 50,000km on the odometer thought the previous owner had it unhooked for a couple years and rode every day.

The DR was the bomb when it came out. It'd sure be hard to beat if they added

- a 6th gear
- EFI
- a bit more electrical power
- better forks and
- might as well punch it out to 450

Hasn't it been 9 years now? Shouldn't it be time? :)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #239
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
And now a new reason search for a DRZ 400 ,the ACT (Advanced Clutch Technology) gearset make the gearspread same as the WR 250R 3,36!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VyQMO9_aU

I am also searching for my next Dual Sport with more offroad performance than my KLR 250 have and easier to start than my DR350S!
in my focus the WR250R versus a DRZ400.DRZ con gearspread, but with the ATC kit it comes top on my list,the better look is also a reason for me! i want a DS can ride to the job and also can climb steep trails without major secondary gear change! and i dont trust all the electronic gimmicks on the WR250R.

trailhiker screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 01:04 PM
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #240
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
While out riding last night with my buddy who previously owned a KLX 250, Tagged XR 400, and now the DRZ had this exact conversation while wasting time. I was basically asking him how he was liking the DRZ compared to his KLX and if he regretted buying the DRZ in retrospect. He said that he was still happy with the DRZ, enjoyed the XR but hated kicking it in traffic if he stalled in traffic and didnt like the underpowered engine of the KLX while he did miss the 6th gear.

That opened the topic of how easily the KLX was modded to a 351 kit and how many guys absolutely loved them with some well placed mods ( although fairly in depth like the DRZ needs also )

I think a fully built WR 290R, KLX 351, or DRZ 434 are all excellent choices for reliable and fun dual sports with my nod going to the DRZ 434, or KLX 351 because of the long production run, carbs, and lower cost of ownership than even the WR.

Does anybody have pics of a fully built and modded KLX 351cc to post here??

My DRZ 434cc, Titanium Valve Train, FCR Carb, RM 250 Front end with too many mods to list. I enjoy building bikes and think that I would have enjoyed building a KLX 351cc if I was 5ft 6" or shorter.

bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote