Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #241
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhiker View Post
i dont trust all the electronic gimmicks on the WR250R.
What are you referring to? EFI?

Interesting link you posted. A wide ratio DR-Z400 would be sweet.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #242
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Does anybody have pics of a fully built and modded KLX 351cc to post here??
'06 KLX250s with 351 kit installed over winter. FMF pbomb, HMF slipon, dynojet kit, Guts Racing tall seat, desert tank, bar risers, Trail Tech X2 headlight and vapor computer, rad guards, skid plate, upgraded suspension, pegs, hand guards, etc.

The WR couldn't haul it, so the KLX did.

IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #243
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 195
Pulled the trigger on a new WR250R.

I have a very nicely setup DR650 (FCR carb, GSXR can, and suspension mods) that I have taken on some long DS rides and a 2003 KTM450 EXC that I am still learning to love.

I heard a lot about the WR and decide to rent one from GSM rentals when I was in Townsend, TN (thanks Lt. Dan!) and was flat out impressed with the bike. My girl friend was on her Ninja 250 and had a hard time sticking with me through the twisties but could muscle by on the straights. When I took that little bike off road it was wonderful and that is pretty much a stock bike.

For the type of long distance DS riding that I like to do I think the WR will fit the bill very well. I was looking to pull the trigger on a newer KTM 500 (if only Suz would put a 6 speed on the DRz400) but the maintenance interval and the 350W system on the WR really made up my mind.

Yeah, it will never be as fast as my KTM.. but then it doesn't have to be.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #244
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
'06 KLX250s with 351 kit installed over winter. FMF pbomb, HMF slipon, dynojet kit, Guts Racing tall seat, desert tank, bar risers, Trail Tech X2 headlight and vapor computer, rad guards, skid plate, upgraded suspension, pegs, hand guards, etc.

The WR couldn't haul it, so the KLX did.

Nice!! Puttin that Kawasaki to work.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #245
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I don't think those big bore kits on the WRR are a good idea, it's designed to rev and how will it do that with a bigger piston! Perhaps another piston would be a good idea
The main theoretical limit to rpm is piston speed, which is a function of stroke, not bore. So a big bore kit doesn't affect that. I suppose if the piston weight created a serious engine balance problem it would be an issue. And I suppose it would be theoretically possible to make a piston so short relative to it's width that it could not run parallel in the bore and would create rapid wear. But these kinds of problems have not shown up with the kits available for either the WRR or KLX.

Quote:
I dont trust all the electronic gimmicks on the WR250R.
You mean like that gimmicky solid state ignition on the DRZ? Yeah, let's bring back mechanical ignition points. You never know when one of those CDI thingamajigs is gonna leave you stranded and there's no way to fix it in the field.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #246
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
For the type of long distance DS riding that I like to do I think the WR will fit the bill very well. I was looking to pull the trigger on a newer KTM 500 (if only Suz would put a 6 speed on the DRz400) but the maintenance interval and the 350W system on the WR really made up my mind.
Wide-ratio gearsets are now available for the DR-Z. At least one of them offers almost exactly the same total gearspread as the WR250R's 6spd.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #247
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
That's awesome news on the DRZ's wide ratio tranny! I keep waiting for a revision to that bike - I do believe it's so close to being the bomb. But adding a 6th gear would be the firs thing I would do.

FWIW I just passed 21,000KM on my 351 kit, 51,000 KM on my odometer and it was a daily commuter for 2 years for a previous owner who had unhooked the odometer when he got it.

I love my 351; one negative is I've never gotten the jetting worked out and it gets about 70% of the mileage of my 690 enduro. Most all the new KLX's are fuel injected but last I heard although guys were getting the mapping close no one had really done it well yet though that's been a while.
Since I'm more of a dirt guy I like the "old" taller KLX, with the new FI and 351 and KX250 suspension/front end as a pretty good dirt bike.

I'm starting to think the ultimate reliable dual sport in this category may come from a 20 year old engine - the 2 stroke Honda CRM 250. See them all the time with upwards of 70K KM. As a dirt bike its probably in the category of a CRF250L. Not as good of legs as the XR250, but the engine is almost twice as strong, just as reliable and 3X easier to rebuild.
So here's the scoop that some guys in Thailand have done: they call it the Honda CRM250CR. Put the CRM engine in a Honda CR250 frame, mounting up lights, ignition, kickstand etc and customize the suspension to your liking.

At the end of the day, they've added about 35 lbs to the CR250, taken 5 HP away, BUT its still 50 lbs lighter than a WR250/KLX250. Weight and HP are comparable to a KTM EXC350, cost is double, lots of work, BUT maintenance schedule is about 3X less and life expectancy is 10X more.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #248
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

I just watched the wide ratio DR you tube! Great news! Now I have to say I don't believe that acceleration wasn't affected at all but the only guys who would really notice wouldn't be on this bike.

So I'm getting excited about the DR! I had written it off my short list of happening, reliable dual sports as I've found changing gear ratios is much tougher than making up for lack of hp.
This changes everything.

So now I'm curious... whose got a chunk of miles on one? How many? (I've got 5X,000 KM on my KLX's odometer BUT I'm guessing 80,000 in reality!)
Any one have a reliability report on a 434/440? Any thoughts on that Eddie Sisernos? guys' engine builds?

How much is this gear set? Thanks y'all!

Rick
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #249
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

Rick
I found this on ThumperTalk:
Retail price is $689 for the set of eight gears (2nd thru 5th) but I am currently offering a 10% introductory discount ($620.10) and free machining of your shift forks to make the installation easier.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972...-no-six-speed/

Of course that doesn't include what it will cost to have somebody install the gear set, if you aren't the type that feels comfortable pulling your engine that far apart.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #250
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Just farkled out my KLX250SF with 21/18" Excel wheels and a bunch of other stuff. Shock, header, muffler, rack, handlebars, grips, lights, footpegs, etc... If it doesn't sell soon, I'll probably add the 351cc kit and a new Mikuni carb this Winter. It also has a 3 gal IMS tank not shown in the pic. The KLX does alright on the highway. Not enough guts for interstate riding though, so that limits it's use. Otherwise, it would be the perfect dualsport. I want something a little bigger.

Yes, it is clean in the picture! Yes, I've had it on trails! Yes, the first 4K gets it! I have it an ad on this site for it.

If I were to do the KLX again, I would have gone with the RAD Manufacturing cush drive rear hub and Eco front hub as a basis for the new wheels. If it doesn't sell and I keep it I still may.

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #251
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I just watched the wide ratio DR you tube! Great news! Now I have to say I don't believe that acceleration wasn't affected at all but the only guys who would really notice wouldn't be on this bike.

So I'm getting excited about the DR! I had written it off my short list of happening, reliable dual sports as I've found changing gear ratios is much tougher than making up for lack of hp.
This changes everything.

So now I'm curious... whose got a chunk of miles on one? How many? (I've got 5X,000 KM on my KLX's odometer BUT I'm guessing 80,000 in reality!)
Any one have a reliability report on a 434/440? Any thoughts on that Eddie Sisernos? guys' engine builds?

Rick
20k mile piston/ ring replacement intervals with a 434cc and 40k mile crank replacement or inspection.

I avoid interstates on ANY bike I am riding so I do not pick a bike based on interstate manners. Even my Harley rarely saw interstates.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #252
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Nice!! Puttin that Kawasaki to work.....
Wow electric and kick start on the KLX this would make my dream come true ,but no way for this version in my country!
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #253
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Wow electric and kick start on the KLX this would make my dream come true ,but no way for this version in my country!
Good Eye for finding the kicker on her. Added it this winter during the 351 build - it didn't come stock. Easy for the 2006/07, but I'm not sure it fits as well for the later models. A pumper carb (TM36-68) will be this winter's mod.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #254
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I have had a 2005 DRZ400s with full Yoshi and air box mods and jetted to match
a 2008 WR250r bone stock and now a 2009 KLX250s M4 titanium pipe air box top off and jetted to match.
I hated the worthless tall 6th gear on the WR and the engine noise from underneath with a skid plate and the zero power off the line. I loved the engine noise once it was in the meat! When I rode with some other bigger bore buddies it was all I could do to keep up with them and by the end of the day my shins where killing me from shifting. The suspension was like a sink bug and it felt heavy when pushing or lifting it up as did the DRZ. The DRZ needs a 6th gear for street and a redesign for sure but overall is a great all around bike. The KLX runs great a bit low on power but just I love it from the red plastic to the huge speedo and tachometer. The previous owner removed a total of 10.5lbs of crap and shaved another 10lbs on the pipe so it is pretty light.

Ohenry

ohenry screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 04:40 PM
ohenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #255
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

So just curious why 3 bikes so similar?

On a side note my 351 now has well over 20,000 miles so I'm thinking it's a pretty reliable big bore which is what this category is all about. I'm not sure if it would hang with a stock DR reliability wise, but it's got a tad more power, a 6th gear and about 20 lbs less weight....