Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #256
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
I hated the worthless tall 6th gear on the WR and the engine noise from underneath with a skid plate and the zero power off the line. The suspension was like a sink bug
All these are easily fixable except the engine noise. Yes 6th gear is worthless stock. Like how the engineers set the gearing up to meet noise regulations. With a gearing change to 13/47 it will still allow highway use and trail use at the same time. The suspension can be lowered to if you require it to get rid of the stink bug.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #257
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
This is a video I shot back in 2010 and one from this weekend before I opened the air box lid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkXdc...ature=youtu.be

WR makes this horrible motor wine but is not going as fast as it sounds!

Ohenry

ohenry screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 11:05 AM
ohenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #258
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 46
which bike

hi guys, interesting topic.
I just came off a CB1000R (amzing bike, loved it) and moved to a second hand WR450F
just got slick of bloody car drivers.
I went looking for a wr250r cos I like 250's and playing around, going fast and having fun etc but for the same price of a second hand wr250r i found a second hand wr450f with 2700km on the clock, more power, :)
Now my wife has a xt250 (both 5 speed bikes) great little bike love riding it now and then, but here is the interesting thing.
When we go riding (which is very sandy) everywhere i take the more powerful better equiped wr450f my wife with much less skill and less powerful bike, can still get her xt250 there . And when your pushing or picking up either bike, both fill heavy.

So dont worry about big bore or better this or that, your gona find that most of the time, any of the bikes listed are gona take you fun places. Both our bikes go on the road to the trails then back home again. Find the bike that fits you chose the right tires and just ride..
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #259
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
hi guys, interesting topic.
I just came off a CB1000R (amzing bike, loved it) and moved to a second hand WR450F
just got slick of bloody car drivers.
I went looking for a wr250r cos I like 250's and playing around, going fast and having fun etc but for the same price of a second hand wr250r i found a second hand wr450f with 2700km on the clock, more power, :)
Now my wife has a xt250 (both 5 speed bikes) great little bike love riding it now and then, but here is the interesting thing.
When we go riding (which is very sandy) everywhere i take the more powerful better equiped wr450f my wife with much less skill and less powerful bike, can still get her xt250 there . And when your pushing or picking up either bike, both fill heavy.

So dont worry about big bore or better this or that, your gona find that most of the time, any of the bikes listed are gona take you fun places. Both our bikes go on the road to the trails then back home again. Find the bike that fits you chose the right tires and just ride..
Most people are faster on smaller bikes than on bigger bikes - they just don't want to admit it.

When we ride smaller less powerful bikes we pick cleaner lines, conserve momentum, brake less and so. Less energy wasted.

Have you ever seen a F1 driver do a lap in a normal road car? It looks slow because they're not sliding about, over-revving or braking to late. They're using every available bit of energy to go forward, and they use every inch of the track to avoid wheelspin or slides.

When it comes to road bikes my limit is about a sports 600 - any bigger than that and I don't go any faster, I just scare myself half to death.

When it comes to enduro my limit is about a 250cc fourstroke - any bigger than that and I think I'm actually going slower overall.

Small bikes are great! 30bhp will take you around the world easy!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #260
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 46
Yeah, i hear a lot of people saying they like the extra power of the bigger bike, but with bigger your looking a more fuel, more tire wear, more chain wear etc etc and buying a 250 just to spend the money on a bigger piston seems little strange to me, just buy the bigger bike..
I loved my cb1000r but it had more power than i ever needed even tho it was great fun and i would of happly got a wr250r (if i could of found a good one at the time) instead of my wr450f. It really is amazing how good modern 250's are and where they can go.

There is always going to be a compermise with a dual sport but when i am in really ruff stuff (or just trying to do a U turn on a tight track) and i'm picking up my bike plus the misses bike i want the lightest easiest bike for that time.
If the bike is only good for 80-90% of ur riding and if that other 10% is shit because the bike is to big / heavy etc your gona be yelling or sorts of things at the bike and yourself for buying the bike. It's those times you'll be wishing for something else. You dont want to come out of a great trail section just say "I'm never doing that again" cause of the bike.

My last ride on my wr450f and the misses on her xt250, i dropped my bike twice (having fun, going little silly of course) but she didn't drop her bike once and still went where i did, and she loved it.
In the past when the bike wasn't set up right, wrong tires, high seat etc she was hating how hard it was, but now right bike and right set up she is loving it.
Bigger isn't always better, sometimes its just bigger and harder, find something that fits you

Another thing, we once had to go off a very narrow track to get around an idiot in a broken down ute on a really rough track. I rode my wife's xt250 around through very very slippery bush over branches etc and I had traction all the way around and back onto the track, when I tried to get the 450 around it just kept slipping and found it really hand, even though i was very careful with the clutch and throttle. The extra power to the rear wheel made it much much harder to get traction, but there was also a really narley rocky up hill where both bikes were sliding all over the place and I just twitted the throttle and up she went no probs

fedswith screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:52 AM
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #261
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,359
And yet the F1 driver is still faster in the F1 car than the "normal road car"...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #262
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
And yet the F1 driver is still faster in the F1 car than the "normal road car"...
Which is what makes an F1 driver one man in 100,000. You and I need not apply.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #263
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Most people are faster on smaller bikes than on bigger bikes - they just don't want to admit it.

When we ride smaller less powerful bikes we pick cleaner lines, conserve momentum, brake less and so. Less energy wasted.

Have you ever seen a F1 driver do a lap in a normal road car? It looks slow because they're not sliding about, over-revving or braking to late. They're using every available bit of energy to go forward, and they use every inch of the track to avoid wheelspin or slides.

When it comes to road bikes my limit is about a sports 600 - any bigger than that and I don't go any faster, I just scare myself half to death.

When it comes to enduro my limit is about a 250cc fourstroke - any bigger than that and I think I'm actually going slower overall.

Small bikes are great! 30bhp will take you around the world easy!
I must be the exception, because I am waaaaaay faster on my 525 than I was on the WRR.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #264
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
Which is what makes an F1 driver one man in 100,000. You and I need not apply.
Which is what makes an F1 driver analogy here complete
09 TE450
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #265
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
I must be the exception, because I am waaaaaay faster on my 525 than I was on the WRR.
Me also. I've gotten better and more mature over the years as well, and I'm faster on a smaller bike now than I used to be...but blanket statements like "most people are faster on smaller bikes than on faster bikes" is just a guy on a smaller bike justifying his little bike
09 TE450
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #266
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
First, and you know that how? Because you feel faster, or because you have the stop watch or other objective measure to prove it?

Second, that's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. A 525 is a lot lighter than a WRR. If you could go faster in the dirt on a 690 than a WRR that would be a little more impressive.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #267
RiosLibres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question

I also find myself having to choose within these two bikes, but I put one more constraint: I already have a 07 WR 250 F, which I love it and want to conserve. If I bought a second bike, for daily use, some 300 miles tripe once a month, and maybe some of the "more open enduros" like fire roads, should I go with the DRZ S or the WR R ?
Thanks for the inputs!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #268
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosLibres View Post
I also find myself having to choose within these two bikes, but I put one more constraint: I already have a 07 WR 250 F, which I love it and want to conserve. If I bought a second bike, for daily use, some 300 miles tripe once a month, and maybe some of the "more open enduros" like fire roads, should I go with the DRZ S or the WR R ?
Thanks for the inputs!
They are similar in capability. Either should do fine. Choose the WRR for lighter weight, better highway manners while maintaining low enough gearing for off-road. Choose the DR-Z for torque, and (maybe) lower price since there are lots around and they haven't changed for ages; the WRR is a relatively newer design (2008)

Which is easier to get parts for there?
Which do you like better?
Will you do high-speed road work, like 65MPH +?
Do you prefer carb or FI?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #269
RiosLibres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
They are similar in capability. Either should do fine. Choose the WRR for lighter weight, better highway manners while maintaining low enough gearing for off-road. Choose the DR-Z for torque, and (maybe) lower price since there are lots around and they haven't changed for ages; the WRR is a relatively newer design (2008)

Which is easier to get parts for there?
Which do you like better?
Will you do high-speed road work, like 65MPH +?
Do you prefer carb or FI?
Thanks jon_l. Both are difficult to get parts for, I basically have to get them through the internet from the states, but I am used to do that.
I would like to be able to do 65 + mph. Like I said, I have my WR 250 F for enduro, and would like to use this second bike for commuting, sometimes two up, 300 + miles once a month on a weekend.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #270
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
From Montesa_vr's great thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742

"The first number is the first gear ratio divided by the top gear ratio. The bigger the number, the wider the gear spread."

2.65 Suzuki DRZ400 (5-speed) 13.36

3.36 Yamaha WR250R/X (6-speed) 16.99

If you want to do 65+ AND off-road, I think the WRR is a better choice. You can gear the DR-Z for either, but not as easily for both.

At 65+ the WRR doesn't have much roll-on power, but it will steadily accelerate to ~80 something, reportedly maybe 90. With off-road capable tires (MT-21 F, T-63 R), I rarely go faster than ~60, and avoid interstates unless a short hop is really necessary, but I also have a street bike.

Sweet spot in WRR gearing seems to be 13/46-47, or equivalents like 14/50

WRX gearing is different, I don't know about that. Since you are keeping your WRF and doing fire-roads and the like, a WRX might be the ticket with Kenda 705, Shinko 700 or 705, IRC GP1 type of 50/50 tires: