Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #46
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
During the winter d/s trip I mentioned earlier, I was still riding my KLR and a good friend of mine was riding his WRR. We were three days in the woods carrying all of our gear. I had already put quite a few hours on his bike up to this point, but none of them loaded up with gear. I'm 200lbs and the bike was loaded with everything we'd need for 3 days of below freezing camping. After we swapped bikes for a while on that trip, it was all over. I had been on the fence up until that point, but the ease with which it tackled anything I came upon . . . even fully loaded, sealed my KLR's fate. I imediately sold the KLR and bought a WRR. It had absolutely zero problems carrying my 200lbs + full camping gear up anything we came across.

Almost anything is better than a KLR.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #47
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Almost anything is better than a KLR.
Yeah, but I've ridden them all and wouldn't consider selling the KLR for any of them . . . except the WRR.

Read what BigDog just posted in his ride report a few minutes ago. He sold his TE610 for the same reasons.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #48
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,386
I bought a WR250R last October; Today was the 1st day I was able to get it out for a few hours (95 miles). Ran some highway, gravel roads and some muddy farm access roads.

This is a unique bike, much better on the road than my DRZ400E and KLX400R. I'm sure it has much to do with the wide ratio tranny.

The DRZ400E models are said to be 262 lb (dry).

This little WR is a hoot to ride and feels more nimble than a DRZ400.

The DRZ does indeed have the seat of the pants acceleration, but as mentioned earlier the WR winds out nicely. I believe it will be easier to handle in difficult single track situations

Joe in Il
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #49
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretrash

Partly this is because I'm a dad and I want to be sure I don't offer myself up to circumstances that could be overly dangerous for me, and in addition to this (and you may know him or know of this story) but my cousin was recently killed in California in a highway accident. He clipped his footpeg while lane splitting and was thrown under the wheels of a large auto carrier.
I also have a young son and bought a dual sport for the exact reasons you mention. I can deal with bumps, bruises, and even broken bones. But I want to minimize the chances my son grows up without a father or with a father who is only a burden. More power to you.

That being said, in my area you really need to ride to dirt (I don't have a trailer). In addition, whether the fun draws you in or the neccessity, you're most likely going to end up on the roads occasionally.

I can't recommend a bike for you since my opinion is pretty worthless on that. But, from what i've read here and elsewhere, the good news is that you can't really go wrong with any of those choices. Just get whatever one you like or the best deal you find. If it is a really good deal, you can always switch later with minimal loss.

The only thing I would say for the DRZ is that since it has been out since 2000, they are VERY cheap on the used market. $2500-$3000 will get you a like new bike. The WR will be more $$$. Not sure what the market is for the KLX.

Good luck and stay safe for the little ones.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #50
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, but I've ridden them all and wouldn't consider selling the KLR for any of them . . . except the WRR.

Read what BigDog just posted in his ride report a few minutes ago. He sold his TE610 for the same reasons.
Bigdog owns 5 or 6 bikes.

If I owned just one - it would be the TE610.

A lighter bike will always be fun in the rough stuff.

The Husky TE250 and TE310 are street legal and will ride circles around the WR250. It would be a real laugh.

But they are bad on the road and require a lot of maintenance.

Bigdog is retired and doesn't comute in real freeway traffic where the little WR would suffer - my TE610 has been over 100 MPH many times. I can get out of the way in a hurry!

But the arguement is not about the Husky and the Yamaha but about the Yammer and Suzy - they are pretty equal. More power verus ligher wieght and a better tranny.

I am just trying to say that the WR is not the ultimate Dual Sport. If Yamaha offered the package in a 450 I would be all over it - but a 250 four stroke is just a little weak for my tastes.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #51
i82much
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
During the winter d/s trip I mentioned earlier, I was still riding my KLR and a good friend of mine was riding his WRR. We were three days in the woods carrying all of our gear. I had already put quite a few hours on his bike up to this point, but none of them loaded up with gear. I'm 200lbs and the bike was loaded with everything we'd need for 3 days of below freezing camping. After we swapped bikes for a while on that trip, it was all over. I had been on the fence up until that point, but the ease with which it tackled anything I came upon . . . even fully loaded, sealed my KLR's fate. I imediately sold the KLR and bought a WRR. It had absolutely zero problems carrying my 200lbs + full camping gear up anything we came across.
WRR is a dreamy bike and I'd love to have one. Still, if you're weighed down with gear, you're headed uphill into the wind at 50 mph, and an 18 wheeler comes flying up on your arse @ 80 mph, I bet even you would take the Dr. Z!!
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #52
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I'd look for a leftover 2008 Husky TE250. For a trailer queen street legal dirt bike it's the only choice and it smokes the rest on weight.

I'd go for this one if I were the original poster: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428752
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #53
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
Quote:

That's within 25 pounds of my TE610 with half the horsepower. I don't get it?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #54
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
That's within 25 pounds of my TE610 with half the horsepower. I don't get it?
Not everybody does.

My favorite part about BigDog's explanation is when he states just how much faster the WRR is than his TE. I mean, honestly . . . how can that possibly be when the specs show all that horsepower under the TE?

Sometimes it isn't all about the hp numbers on the spec sheet.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #55
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not everybody does.

My favorite part about BigDog's explanation is when he states just how much faster the WRR is than his TE. I mean, honestly . . . how can that possibly be when the specs show all that horsepower under the TE?

Sometimes it isn't all about the hp numbers on the spec sheet.
That is over rough terrain. With equal suspension and no power needed the lighter bike will be quicker.

Try the long uphill or deep sand where you need some power - or to loft the wheel - 25 HP is pretty weak. I ride my wifes 250 Super Sherpa at times and it is ligher than the WR but the weak 250 cc engine is pretty disappointing.

If I were on a TE250 or KTM EXC250(?) verus the WR250 it would be no contest. They are ligher and much more powerful.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #56
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:

Last year our group picked up a new rider, a young pup (30 years old) on a KLR. Full of piss and vinegar, he manhandled that KLR and did a pretty good job of hanging with us (meaning myself on my KTM 525 and OMR on his KTM 400) in the slimy two-tracks we were on. Sure he dumped it a few times when his ego got the better of him but he was feeling good about himself that we hadn't left him for dead. (we weren't really trying though ) On the way back we hit the pavement and we took a turn onto a desolate straight stretch that usually turns into a bomb run. Doesn't the noob jump the gun and start hauling on that big green beast of a KLR. In a blimfark* OMR and I gave chase and caught him like he was standing still. We zoomed past him and tucked in to see what each other had. A few minutes later we pulled into my yard and compared GPSs. Mine was reading a max speed of 159 KPH and his was 155. The new guy was completely comfused that a 400cc bike had not just inched away from him but had pulled him hard.

Exactly two weeks later, OMR and I were on a road trip to pick up a KTM 525 for the noob.

The KLR has its strong points, it is dead reliable, low maintenance, comfy and can be loaded like a pack mule. What it isn't is a light, powerful, nimble dirt-oriented dual-sport. Different strokes for different folks and I respect that.

I just though my anecdote would ease the tension in here a little.

Sean

* blimfark: A child who can turn his light switch off and be under his blankets before the glow of the bulb has extinguished, is said to have achieved point blimfark.

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #57
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:

Last year our group picked up a new rider, a young pup (30 years old) on a KLR. Full of piss and vinegar, he manhandled that KLR and did a pretty good job of hanging with us (meaning myself on my KTM 525 and OMR on his KTM 400) in the slimy two-tracks we were on. Sure he dumped it a few times when his ego got the better of him but he was feeling good about himself that we hadn't left him for dead. (we weren't really trying though ) On the way back we hit the pavement and we took a turn onto a desolate straight stretch that usually turns into a bomb run. Doesn't the noob jump the gun and start hauling on that big green beast of a KLR. In a blimfark* OMR and I gave chase and caught him like he was standing still. We zoomed past him and tucked in to see what each other had. A few minutes later we pulled into my yard and compared GPSs. Mine was reading a max speed of 159 KPH and his was 152. The new guy was completely comfused that a 400cc bike had not just inched away from him but had pulled him hard.

Exactly two weeks later, OMR and I were on a road trip to pick up a KTM 525 for the noob.

The KLR has its strong points, it is dead reliable, low maintenance, comfy and can be loaded like a pack mule. What it isn't is a light, powerful, nimble dirt-oriented dual-sport. Different strokes for different folks and I respect that.

I just though my anecdote would ease the tension in here a little.

Sean

* blimfark: A child who can turn his light switch off and be under his blankets before the glow of the bulb has extinguished, is said to have achieved point blimfark.

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #58
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That is over rough terrain. With equal suspension and no power needed the lighter bike will be quicker.

Try the long uphill or deep sand where you need some power - or to loft the wheel - 25 HP is pretty weak. I ride my wifes 250 Super Sherpa at times and it is ligher than the WR but the weak 250 cc engine is pretty disappointing.

If I were on a TE250 or KTM EXC250(?) verus the WR250 it would be no contest. They are ligher and much more powerful.
Who the hell decided to bring race bikes into this? The Busa is faster than the DRZ. So what? We're talking about the WRR vs. the DRZ here.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #59
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Who the hell decided to bring race bikes into this? The Busa is faster than the DRZ. So what? We're talking about the WRR vs. the DRZ here.
The TE250 is street legal.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #60
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The TE250 is street legal.
How's the maintenance on that bad boy?