Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #106
mwolff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
OK, after reading most of the posts in this thread, and many others....who has got a used '08 or '09 WR250R for sale? Sold my DR650SE and before that my V-strom, and before that my XT600 and now would love one of these lighter, newer higher tech 250's that I have read so much about. Just for easy trail riding, strapping to the RV for camping and the occasional 20 mile highway into town. Must be within a couple hundred miles from SF, CA.
mwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #107
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretrash
Opinions?
Get the KLX250. When you're ready for more get with Bill Blue and Bake and get the 351cc kit and the additional 1.1 gallon tank. Want even more? Get the pumper carb and easier breathing pipe to go with the 351 kit. You won't need more bike.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #108
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolff
OK, after reading most of the posts in this thread, and many others....who has got a used '08 or '09 WR250R for sale? Sold my DR650SE and before that my V-strom, and before that my XT600 and now would love one of these lighter, newer higher tech 250's that I have read so much about. Just for easy trail riding, strapping to the RV for camping and the occasional 20 mile highway into town. Must be within a couple hundred miles from SF, CA.
There are a few on fleabay right now, and occasionally one pops up in the classifieds. 4500+ miles so far (had her 3 months today, would be higher but work and school have kept me extra busy recently) and I still love this little bike.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #109
Drtyfun
Here and There

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
Get the KLX250. When you're ready for more get with Bill Blue and Bake and get the 351cc kit and the additional 1.1 gallon tank. Want even more? Get the pumper carb and easier breathing pipe to go with the 351 kit. You won't need more bike.
More info, links please.....a 250 to 350 conversion, you have my attention. Send me a PM......Thanks.
Drtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #110
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28945

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405545

I'm curious, too. What do we know about the long-term reliability of the 351cc upgrade?

Sarah

greer screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 12:55 PM
greer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #111
Drtyfun
Here and There

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28945

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405545

I'm curious, too. What do we know about the long-term reliability of the 351cc upgrade?

Sarah
Thanks for the info, research time.....
Drtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #112
TMGreen
n00b

Oddometer: 1
http://bandbcyclerestoration.com KLX250s big bore kits and more

Wr250r and Wr250x TURBO thread on thumper talk cost 2k = 46-54hp Yeh Baby
TMGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #113
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:

Sarah
I'm curious about that too. As a long time KLX'r, it used to be commonly held wisdom that about 330 cc was as big as you could go and be reliable.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #114
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtyfun
Thanks for the info, research time.....
In one one-hour period I rode Charla's stock KLX250, Bakes KLX250 (w/ 351 kit) with the stock carb and pipe and Bill Blue's KLX250 (w/ 351 kit) with pumper carb and after-market pipe.

From Charla's I could see the potential for this bike as a regular ride for me, even in stock trim. From Bake's bike I could see the advantage of the 351 kit - the power is greater, but as it's linear you don't really notice it until you find yourself going faster and climbing easier, etc. From Bill's bike I learned what can really be accomplished with these bikes. You'd crack the throttle and that pumper carb would make the bike do things you'd never, ever, expect from something that came out of the box as a 250cc four stroke "enduro" bike. It had 2stroke type BANG throttle response and enough engine to make things happen quickly. Not frightening, but much more than surprising. I rode Bake's bike and enjoyed it. Then went to switch with Charla who was on Bill's bike and was warned . . . . "this is a completely different animal ". Man, she wasn't kidding. We were at the gravel pit out at Four Mile. I got about ten percent of the way up the hill on Bill's bike and cracked the throttle open. The bike leapt up the hill - it was amazing.

Caveat - I'm an old, fat, slow rider who rides a KLR650 and a Super Sherpa. So, basically, I'm easily impressed. But I'm confident you'll be impressed with the improvement the 351 kit will make to your KLX250.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #115
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad
I'm curious about that too. As a long time KLX'r, it used to be commonly held wisdom that about 330 cc was as big as you could go and be reliable.
Bill Blue told me that he's been trying to break his to see what the stress limit is for the bike. So far he's had no luck in breaking it, it just runs great. YMMV
Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #116
greer
Beastly Adventurer

I'm thinking in terms of road miles. I'm a wuss on the trails so no worries there. It's the next adventure tour I'm wondering about.

Sarah
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #117
Hannda

Quote:
I'm thinking in terms of road miles. I'm a wuss on the trails so no worries there. It's the next adventure tour I'm wondering about.

Sarah
The nice thing is that, while the bike won't go any faster with the 351 kit due to the fact that you're still using the same transmission (I asked - but you could go down one tooth on the rear sprocket to help with highway speeds for long periods of time), you get to the same speeds with significantly lower rpms. If you used to go 70 mph at 8k rpm, you'd now be doing the same speed at 5 or 6k rpm (just a crude example, check with Bake, Bill Blue or one of the people here who've added the kit to their bike for some actual rpm difference comparisons). But, the point I'm trying to make is that I'd think that if you could run the same speed, for a longer length of time, at lower rpms, you'd actually have better reliability out of your bike if you were using it for longer road trips.

Caveat: These are just the musings of an old fart who's thinking of buying a KLX250 and getting the 351 kit. I'd probably stay with the stock carb and pipe simply because I don't need that much of a kick when I twist the throttle. YMMV.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the engine remains just as smooth (and in some cases smoother) than stock. Meaning - no vibes through the bars or seat. And that's a good thing, the thing that makes me want to replace my KLR with this setup.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #118
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
the thing that makes me want to replace my KLR with this setup.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #119
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH
It'd be nice to go more than five miles without my hands falling asleep.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #120
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Hannda,

Sounds like a very tempting project. Please post along if you spring for it. Gadget Boy just did, I've already warned him I'll be pestering for details.

Sarah