User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Skid Plate for BMW R1200GS/GSA by Black Dog Cycle Works

Black Dog Cycle Works is pleased to announce our new skid plate for the BMW R1200GS / GSA adventure motorcycles. Utilizing our experience in building skid plates for the large KTM 950/990 bikes, we have developed the TOUGHEST skid plate available for the big BMWs. It offers more protection than any other brand and addresses many of the shortfalls the stock and other aftermarket designs don’t cover.

If you want the absolutely MOST protection for your R1200GS, then this is YOUR skid plate. MADE in the USA. Includes the center stand guard as well and offers full protection of the header pipes. Don't throw away your money on lesser products that don't provide the protection both you and your bike deserve!!

For more information and installation instructions, see our website at www.blackdogcw.com

Image of assembled skid plate:

Side shot of skid plate and OPTIONAL center stand guard

Stock skid plate vs. BDCW skid plate - which would you rather have protecting YOUR bike?

These skid plates will normally retail for $449. We are now offering an introductory price of $349 for a limited time, plus $49 for the optional center stand guard.

As an added bonus for ADVRider members, I am offering FREE SHIPPING within the lower 48 for the first 25 buyers. Use coupon code ADV_FS when checking out to receive this discount.

If you ask any of our KTM skid plate customers, they can tell you how rugged our skid plates are!!

I welcome your comments or questions. We appreciate your continued support.
Kurt

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!

KTMforget screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 05:26 PM
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
DingusKahn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cool

I need one of these. I saw you in Amado last spring. Need to rob my piggy bank.
DingusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingusKahn View Post
Thanks for the compliment. We are very excited to offer the most protection available for the big GS's. The introductory offer of $399 will not last forever so if you are interested in one, don't delay.

Thanks for your support.
Kurt

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Your pictures show the skid plate mounted to a bike with an aftermarket exhaust. Will this thing fit the stock exhaust system with the cross-over pipe in the front?

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Your pictures show the skid plate mounted to a bike with an aftermarket exhaust. Will this thing fit the stock exhaust system with the cross-over pipe in the front?
Yes, it will work fine with either the stock exhaust or the full Remus system. I have not tried any other aftermarket systems with it yet. The skid plate provides excellent protection for the stock front header pipe

Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Updated Photos and Pricing

We have now updated the photos on our website to include high res photos, as requested by some of the other inmates.

We have also modified our pricing to that the skid plate can be ordered with our without the center stand guard, which is now an option.

Price for just skid plate = $349
Price for optional center stand guard = $49

Order both and get free ground shipping within the lower 48...

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks
Kurt

KTMforget screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 05:09 PM
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
AmericaMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 9
BDCW skid plate for 1200 GS

Hi! Good job Kurt! This skid plate really looks great !!! I really like the fact that it doesn't attach to the bottom of the block in the back of the engine, yet I have a few more questions before ordering it:

1- what are the plate and the hardware made of?
2- what's the total weight of it?
3- how thick is it?
4- will it rust after I hit a few good rocks and the plate gets scratched?
5- since the front mounting point is right under the engine block, aren't you afraid, in the eventually of an important impact, that the front mounting point could get tore off or worst, that it would crack the fragile block?
6- would you ship for free to Calgary, only 400 miles away from Sandpoint?

Thanks for your great adventure products!
Jay
AmericaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaMoto View Post
Hi! Good job Kurt! This skid plate really looks great !!! I really like the fact that it doesn't attach to the bottom of the block in the back of the engine, yet I have a few more questions before ordering it:

1- what are the plate and the hardware made of?
2- what's the total weight of it?
3- how thick is it?
4- will it rust after I hit a few good rocks and the plate gets scratched?
5- since the front mounting point is right under the engine block, aren't you afraid, in the eventually of an important impact, that the front mounting point could get tore off or worst, that it would crack the fragile block?
6- would you ship for free to Calgary, only 400 miles away from Sandpoint?

Thanks for your great adventure products!
Jay
Hi Jay
Thanks for the compliments. To answer your questions

1- what are the plate and the hardware made of? The skid plate is made of 3/16" aluminum, as are the front and rear mounting brackets. The cross bar and U-clamps at the rear are machined from billet.

2- what's the total weight of it? The total is just under 10 lbs plus 1 for the optional center stand guard. It is beefy but with the weight at the bottom of the bike, you won't be able to feel it. Besides, if you crack your case when using the stock or another aftermarket skid plate, they get a lot heavier to PUSH home!

3- how thick is it? 3/16"

4- will it rust after I hit a few good rocks and the plate gets scratched? No, aluminum doesn't rust. We selected the silver-vein powder coat because it does an excellent job at hiding scratches.

5- since the front mounting point is right under the engine block, aren't you afraid, in the eventually of an important impact, that the front mounting point could get tore off or worst, that it would crack the fragile block? The front of the engine block is VERY stout but we have two safeguards built into our design - one of which is the reliefs that are cut into the front mounting brackets, so they can give a bit from a large impact. The other safeguard is the rubber "shok bloks" between the skid plate and engine, which will help dissipate the force from a large impact.

6- would you ship for free to Calgary, only 400 miles away from Sandpoint? Unfortunately, shipping to anywhere in Canada is very expensive, so we can't offer free shipping outside of the lower 48. We do offer free shipping if you purchase both the skid plate and center stand guard and have it shipped within the lower 48.

In addition, our skid plate offers excellent protection to the header pipes, which none of the other designs even come close. The front and rear mounting brackets are easily replaceable, so if you have a MONSTER impact and manage to bend one, replacing it is not a problem.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your continued support
Kurt

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
AmericaMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cool2 BDCW 1200GS skidplate

Hi Kurt!
I gotta say: You are a good salesman! :
From looking at pictures on your website over and over it brings me to wonder about clearance, 2 things:
What's the clearance between the front fender and the front of the plate?
Is it lower than the stock skidplate? Does it offer a lot less ground clearance? Being only 5'7" I usually keep my suspension to the smoothest setting in order to be able to reach the ground (somewhat).
Would you or any of your customers have pictures of the skidplate installed on a bike with OEM exhaust???
Any reviews from riders who bought it already???

Ride safe and stay warm! Its 40 below up here!!

Jay
AmericaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaMoto View Post
Hi Kurt!
I gotta say: You are a good salesman! :
From looking at pictures on your website over and over it brings me to wonder about clearance, 2 things:
What's the clearance between the front fender and the front of the plate?
Is it lower than the stock skidplate? Does it offer a lot less ground clearance? Being only 5'7" I usually keep my suspension to the smoothest setting in order to be able to reach the ground (somewhat).
Would you or any of your customers have pictures of the skidplate installed on a bike with OEM exhaust???
Any reviews from riders who bought it already???

Ride safe and stay warm! Its 40 below up here!!

Jay
Hi Jay
Thanks for your questions. My apology it has taken so long to get back to you. We have been swamped the last couple days. To answer your above questions:

I don't have an exact measurement between the front fender and the front of the skid plate. Obviously, this distance would vary based on compression of the suspension. Based on our extensive testing, I can tell you that the skid plate does not interfere with the front fender.

Our skid plate actually offer MORE ground clearance than the stock skid plate - by almost 1/2 inch at the back of the skid plate, and slightly more at the front.

I don't have any photos from customers who have installed it with the stock exhaust. It actually looks better with the stock exhaust because the header pipes stick out further towards the front than the Remus header pipes.

One of my customers posted here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645728

I spoke to another customer this morning who recently installed it and plans to do a review soon.

Outrider Journal plans to do a review as well - they recently installed one on a standard GS.

Feedback from the customers I have talked to has been overwhelmingly positive. The installation instructions could be improved a bit, which I will work on.

I received this email this morning: "This is my third skid plate and the best! The others simply could not take the beating: - Don H, WA

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Kurt

Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingusKahn View Post

+2 - Also at Amado last year. Looks great, I've already gone through 2 "others" and am waiting to pull the trigger on this one. Think we met briefly at the final dinner - I scammed a leftover seat.

Nice work!

Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the compliments. The feedback from customers who have purchased and installed the skid plate has been excellent.

We are currently offering free shipping to ADVRiders in the lower 48 if you purchase both the skid plate and the center stand guard. Just reply to your order confirmation with your ADV screen name and mention the free shipping offer and we will credit you back for the shipping cost. This offer expires April 31, 2011.

We greatly appreciate the support.

Thanks
Kurt

Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,380
Kurt,

just finished the install on my plate. Looks fantastic. I can't wait to get it out and bash it against some rocks.

And a link to the install.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698185

Garrett.
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks

Hi Garrett
Thanks for the props. Glad you like your new skid plate. Glad you didn't let those pesky instructions get in the way. I know things are a bit tight to access on the install, the good news is once the framework is in place, you don't have to remove any of it for routine maintenance. Only the 6 screws that hold the skid plate on needs to be removed for an oil change, and amazingly enough, they are all the same size! Not three different sizes like the stock skid plate.

I just installed a skid plate on an older GSA this weekend. The starter cover is a bit in the way but there was plenty of room to press it in a bit, so the hack job probably wasn't necessary. Most of the GS's won't have this interference problem.

Thanks again for your support
Kurt

Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,224
Question

I am interested in this skid plate but it looks like it has no holes at all in the bottom. I understand this is for increased protection and to avoid stuff getting snagged on the holes.

However, is there any problem with water or mud filling up in the skid plate because there are no holes for it to drain out of? And could I drill a few small holes in the bottom for this purpose?

Thanks.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote