Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #31
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Tire sponsor?

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #32
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf
Tire sponsor?

Is that an offer?

I've made a little more progress. I made pieces to fit into the triangles, but somehow I cut every single one the wrong size..I made some poster board patterns and I'll try it again.

I made some mounts to have a quick change on my Baja Designs light from bike to bike. They wanted $65 for these mounts, I made them for about $1.

I whipped up a battery box. I left it a little long in a couple spots so I can trim it to fit.

I've got some Warp9 rims on the way, blinkers, tail light w/plate mount and a speedometer. I went with the Electrosport basic model..tach, speedo, left/right, neutral and high beams..$170 to my door, comes with a mount..ends up quite a bit cheaper than the Vapor.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #33
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 834
I'm glad I'm not the only one with these kind of frankenstien concepts coursing through my head, although I don't seem to be executing them. This is awesome, keep at it.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #34
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels
Graft.

Plain and simple.

I think you'll have some trouble keeping the chain on with the vast distance between sprocket and SA pivot. But you say jackshaft? Is that going to be concentric with the pivot point?
I'm thinking it might have been easier to extend the Bandit SA and work out how to get some additional travel out of it. Or widen the CR SA and pivot it in the stock possition.
And lastly and I don't mean to piss on wonderfulness of it all, but I rode a 600 Katana once. And the Bandit may have a somewhat different powerband. The Katana was like O.K. heres a little , and a little more and then at 10 grand all hell breaks loose. Not my idea of dirt friendly.
So, I guess if you are a seven foot tall superman that could show Bubba the fast way around the superX track this will be perfect.
Watching with intrest and hoping for the best. Your humble servant.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #35
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
I think you'll have some trouble keeping the chain on with the vast distance between sprocket and SA pivot. But you say jackshaft? Is that going to be concentric with the pivot point?
I was working out the details on this today. The jackshaft will go where the old swingarm pivot was at. Lines up really good to feed the chain into the new swingarm.

Quote:
I'm thinking it might have been easier to extend the Bandit SA and work out how to get some additional travel out of it. Or widen the CR SA and pivot it in the stock possition.
The Bandit SA is painted a nice aluminum color, but is steel and weighs about 60 pounds. Widening the CR SA is a nice idea, but the hub would be too narrow. The main problem is swingarm angle when using the stock Bandit SA pivot. The anti-squat numbers go thru the roof when you get over about 22 degrees of SA angle.

Quote:
And lastly and I don't mean to piss on wonderfulness of it all, but I rode a 600 Katana once. And the Bandit may have a somewhat different powerband. The Katana was like O.K. heres a little , and a little more and then at 10 grand all hell breaks loose. Not my idea of dirt friendly.
So, I guess if you are a seven foot tall superman that could show Bubba the fast way around the superX track this will be perfect.
Watching with intrest and hoping for the best. Your humble servant.

I like the Bandit power traits, it'll lug down to idle and pull away clean in 6th. It's very managable under 6 grand and is easy to keep in the grunt of the powerband..no reason to ring it 10 grand on every shift.

The point of the project is to make people go WTF when they see it. I'll ride some gravel roads with it and ride it to work...all for fun...no real purpose except fun.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #36
Syscrush
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
And I rode a 600 Katana for 50,000 miles - what you're saying just isn't true. The air/oil-cooled 600's have very linear, friendly power delivery (yes, you definitely get more as the revs rise), and they run forever.
Syscrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #37
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syscrush
And I rode a 600 Katana for 50,000 miles - what you're saying just isn't true. The air/oil-cooled 600's have very linear, friendly power delivery (yes, you definitely get more as the revs rise), and they run forever.

I hadn't ridden a 600 four cylinder bike since about 1988 and was shocked at how good this motor is...it's a riding motor. Tugging the hack down the road it'd do 100 mph with ease. Short shift it and let it torque along or rev the heck out of it and it'll fly. I'm getting close to the end of the project and am getting really excited to take her out for a spin...I'll get some helmet cam video of the way it rides...good or bad...I'll post it.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #38
Syscrush
Wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I hadn't ridden a 600 four cylinder bike since about 1988 and was shocked at how good this motor is...it's a riding motor. Tugging the hack down the road it'd do 100 mph with ease. Short shift it and let it torque along or rev the heck out of it and it'll fly. I'm getting close to the end of the project and am getting really excited to take her out for a spin...I'll get some helmet cam video of the way it rides...good or bad...I'll post it.
Plus they have bulletproof electrical with that big car-type alternator on there, an incredibly understressed bottom-end, great oiling, and super-easy screw-type valve adjustment.

If Suzuki sold that motor in a bike that didn't weigh 500 lbs wet, I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syscrush

If Suzuki sold that motor in a bike that didn't weigh 500 lbs wet, I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Just get a 1200 Bandit. Weighs about 25lb more than the 600, and has 40 more hp.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #40
Syscrush
Wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory
Just get a 1200 Bandit. Weighs about 25lb more than the 600, and has 40 more hp.
And weighs 500lbs wet.

Great bikes, but there's no way. An SXV5.5 is more likely. :)
Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #41
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
speedometer. I went with the Electrosport basic model..tach, speedo, left/right, neutral and high beams..$170 to my door, comes with a mount..ends up quite a bit cheaper than the Vapor.
Acewell, right? Is it the model with the voltmeter?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #42
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
Acewell, right? Is it the model with the voltmeter?

I don't know. It came today, let's take a look. Nope I don't see that function in the directions. It says it has: Graph tach, digital tach, shift light, max rpm recorded, speed, max speed recorded, average speed, trip 1 and 2, odometer, timer, hour meter and a clock. Waaaay too nice for this bike, but I get to ditch about 12 pounds of junk.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #43
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Holy BeJesus, dude!
I just saw this.

I knew you were kinda nuts before, but now I need to move the peg much further out.

Way fking cool.

Thanks also for the pics and effort to bring us along on this project. Much appreciated.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #44
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,706
Sweeeeeeeet!

Insanity is it's own reward . . . don't let 'em tell you different!
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #45
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Holy BeJesus, dude!
I just saw this.

I knew you were kinda nuts before, but now I need to move the peg much further out.

Way fking cool.

Thanks also for the pics and effort to bring us along on this project. Much appreciated.

Hiya, dude!!!

I saw some of the guys from down under posting build threads for various projects and said, what the heck.

I learned from a guy at work that 530 chain to 520 conversions are very common to get more rear wheel horsepower in the sport bike scene...so that simplifies the jackshaft issue. I can put a 520 sprocket right on the Bandit, which gives me much needed room for the idler sprocket...I just about have it figured out. I should be within a few weeks of riding it. Going over to my paint guys house in a minute...fenders are done, I can wrap up the subframe and gusseting this weekend.