Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Nightrunner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,048
Valkyrie or Ural

Hi all,

Total sidecar ignoramus here in need of advice. My Dad (80) had to give up riding a few years back due to failing vision. I was thinking to get some sort of hack rig and take him around the countryside (paved only) a few times a year. I live in a different state so it would be on vacations only and the rig would likely live in storage. I now have a Tiger, a DR650, and a Transalp. Other than taking my Dad riding I have no interest in the hack for any other purpose. So at this point I'm thinking either:

1) The Ural. They get rave reviews here and obviously they are ready to go. Buy it, take one of the courses, and start practicing. The downside being they are a dedicated machine, so in some number of years, when Dad cant go with me anymore, the Ural would be sold. No big deal I guess. Also concerned about the size of the car.

2) A Valkyrie Tourer has been on my list for quite a while. That, and a removable hack would do the job nicely and would presumably be a much bigger sidecar.

He should use a cane but doesn't. So one question is how big are the Ural sidecars and how easy for a 5'-10" old fella to get in and out of? The nearest Ural dealer is a ways away or I would have looked already.

If you think the Val is a better way to go, then what sidecar do you recommend?

All comments welcome. Thanks in advance

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
rapidrider
rapidrider

Oddometer: 224
I am a Ural owner (07 Patrol) and realy enjoy it. The top speeds are low enough to slow me down which may be a good thing. It is not practical to remove the car on a Ural and use it as you would a two wheel bike. The steering geomitry make it very squirrely. As much as I love this bike, It would not be my first chioce for your intened use.

I have also owned several Valkeries. This would be my choice to outfit with a car like the ural tub or one of many others available. Don't go with too light a car. This would be an ideal outfit to haul around a passenger as long as you stayed on maintained roads. It would not be suitable for the off road stuff we do with the Urals. The Honda by itself is a great bike... very fast and very smooth. At speed it is very nimble as well. Surpising for a bike of this size and weight.

A simple conversion to the front end can be done to improve steering as a hack rig. Dauntless in Washington I believe makes a steering kit for this bike.

Great to see you thinking of your Pop. Good on ya!

rapidrider screwed with this post 02-12-2009 at 01:20 AM
rapidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I would use a ural Retro as it is able to ride solo (without the sidecar). I am over 6 foot tall and fit in the chair just fine. My concern with any hack would be does he get out of chairs easy or have any issues that make it hard to get up. My wife who has pins in the ankle, pelvis, and femur gets in and out of the Retro sidecar just fine for the record. My wife and I have both sat in a Harley bathtub type sidecar and it was much harder to get in and out of. The main thing to do is put in lots of practice with a rig so you can pilot it safely, maybe take a training class to see if playing with a hack rig will even be something you want to do a few times a year or if you get bitten with the hack bug. I really enjoy the sidehack but it is not for everyone, I would have owned a hack years ago if I had known how much fun I would have on it. If you post your location maybe a fellow hack owner would show and tell what they have and let you sit in and on it or take you for a ride.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
It sounds like a Ural Retro might fit Your needs. Just remember, while Urals are ready to go, Thay do like a little more tlc then a Honda. The Ural / Steib style sidecar is very popular, even Dauntless makes a copy in fiberglass. The only sidecar I ever have heard bad comments about are the Harley tubs being hard to get in, and having poor ride quality.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Why not buy one of Jim' Bryant's BMW powered Changs..........I know he has a couple of nice lightly used ones in the US he's selling.
The BWM motor means it's more reliable than a Chang or even a new Ural.....has the same size bucket, a bit more power and I'd bet you'd be able to sell it when Dad can't ride with you and not loose your shirt.

http://www.mycj750.com

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
You can buy the Ural with the waranty (now they are good bikes) for less than the price for a second hand valkiry.
A Ural hack had revers gear wich is really important for an old man.

Great think that you take care of your father
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,165
Get the Valkerie unless you plan on doing dirt. Paired with a Champion Legend it makes a beautiful rig that will eat up the miles. It does have very very heavy steering. This is one bike that almost demands a modified front end if you plan on doing any distance. That would, of course, make switching back and forth from solo impractical.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,852
Nightrunner,
something like my mate's outfit?

Bit blurry, sorry.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,405
Russian sidecars look fine on Valkaries

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Nightrunner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks so much for the comments. Yeah it would be no problem to leave the car on the bike and do a steering mod. He lives near in Tucson and I would likely just leave the whole thing there in storage. Sorry for the poor choice of words on the OP. I didn't mean I want to take it off and on routinely; just eventually remove it. What caught my eye about the Ural is that lowered section; looks like it would easy to get in to. That Harley type of car is out of the question. He's pretty stiff; lots of wear and tear on the body. He also has a knee joint replacement. At this point I'm leaning toward the Val. I will definitely check out that Champion sidecar.

Yeah Dad's a good guy. My Mom passed last summer and I want to get in some quality time with Dad while I can.

I will be lurking here to pick up some knowledge.
Thanks

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Nightrunner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice pics. I'm drooling.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
The Ural isn't going to cover the distance as well and will not take kindly to being stood. That said, no "demountable" outfit is going to handle anything like a dedicated set up and is going to involve hours of work going either way if you actually use it (squared off tyres anyone). Getting a used Ural and leaving it at your dad's place might be the most cost effective solution IMHO, but the Valk dedicated is going to be much more useful in general.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
For roominess and freeways, you can't beat a Valkyire and Ural tub.
If you're just going to store it at his place and tootle around, that's another story.