Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #1591
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
If it weren't for the people who complain we'd all still be eating each other.
Can't argue with that either.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #1592
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Recent faceplanter confirms no hip armor in the Lombard. Really?
Maybe you should read some of the crash reports for these suits before you comment on them. I have not seen one yet where any serious injuries were sustained due to a failure of the suit itself.

The only injury I have from my off is basically a badly bruised nip because I had not taken the time to put hip armor into the suit. I had considered it and done some comparison shopping but had not gotten around to getting a set.

And I would concur that it is in very poor taste for a competitor to post negative comments on a thread that belongs to a competitor. This alone pretty much assure that I will not be doing any business with you.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #1593
ranmafan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief
And I would concur that it is in very poor taste for a competitor to post negative comments on a thread that belongs to a competitor. This alone pretty much assure that I will not be doing any business with you.
Not that it matters, but IMHO it was neither too rude nor totally misplaced. The reaction to it (again, strictly IMHO) was far worse and makes me wonder what kind of minor issues somebody else might decide not to bring up.

And I do agree that lack of hip armour of any kind is a pretty big minus for anything but the most basic riding pants - a compromise that potential buyers ought to be made aware of.
ranmafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #1594
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmafan
Not that it matters, but IMHO it was neither too rude nor totally misplaced. The reaction to it (again, strictly IMHO) was far worse and makes me wonder what kind of minor issues somebody else might decide not to bring up.

And I do agree that lack of hip armour of any kind is a pretty big minus for anything but the most basic riding pants - a compromise that potential buyers ought to be made aware of.
You may want to do some more research on what suits don't come with the hip armor before you pass judgement, the much vaunted Roadcrafter does not include it, nor does it include a back pad as far as I can tell.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #1595
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
This particular brand has approached potential dealers including us so not only is it fitting but obligatory that we share an observation or two. The marketplace is not a backrub session. As yet we don't sell $289 riding suits and don't begrudge those that do. We are not a competitor and have not hawked our wares in this thread. But if our mere presence here is self-serving let us recommend Aerostich, Klim, Motoport and Olympia as brands we believe offer good value that will not profit our business in the least.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #1596
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
i think the discussion is now headed away from being useful. lets stick to the main purpose of the thread which is dicussing our products.

here is a conclusion for the preceeding conversation:
Currently our suit does not ship with hip armor and the suggestion to include it is appreciated. Like all feedback, we will consider this improvment.

so now lets go back to discussing actual customer feedback
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #1597
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
i think the discussion is now headed away from being useful. lets stick to the main purpose of the thread which is dicussing our products.

here is a conclusion for the preceeding conversation:
Currently our suit does not ship with hip armor and the suggestion to include it is appreciated. Like all feedback, we will consider this improvment.

so now lets go back to discussing actual customer feedback
Maybe a simple pocket with some hip armor that is removable? Not sure how you could do that with pocket access though.

I still think "Short" sizes would be AWESOME.
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #1598
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
ok so from the few comments (i say few because i am sure there are a lot more opinions out there that have not been stated yet), i am thinking something like this:

have two versions. one regular size and one unfinished size.
for those seeking a short/tall inseam, get the unfinished size, otherwise get the regular sizing.

watdya think?
I'd be a guaranteed customer (provided the armor would be adjustable in a wide range). 6'4"/36"
Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #1599
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
Waterprooof

Him armor isn't a big deal to me since all my riding pants have padding but no armor, but I am looking for more info on a potential waterproof model.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #1600
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
I've got a few thousand miles on my Lombard now (including one of the 40mph faceplants mentioned, tweaked shoulder and rug burn on my left knee, no other injury) I've been wearing it a lot less now that the temperature and humidity have crept back up, unless it looks like rain outside. The weather pulled a switch on me today by looking gloomy as I rode in to work, but cleared to a warm and muggy late spring day by the time I got off. So for the first time, I opened all of the vents... magic. Simply magic. Cool and comfortable once I got moving. :) Its amazing how soft and comfortable its gotten too now that I've worn it a lot, still bulky but a lot easier to move around in now.

The only vents I'd remove are the lower two chest vents that are right above the pockets, for me they don't flow much air and leak. The epulet vents ROCK! I'm 50/50 on the long arm vents. Mine leaks, near the snap and further up towards the shoulder, what happens I think is in that area the flap that covers the zipper is facing forward (by design to scoop air I'd imagine to feed the vent) ends up scooping water and forcing it through the zipper. Maybe a longer flap with a velcro stay the way Olympia has for the AST would help, or ditching the flap altogether and having an open zipper. Or putting the flap on the other side of the zipper so that it blocks water, its a wide enough vent that I don't think it needs the help with air....

re: hip armor. I'd prefer to have pocket access. If I want hip armor, I'll wear something like the Bohn or 661 shorts. Might be an idea to add simple pockets and have armor optional (I've made hip pads for my klim baja's from the DIY armor kit that Bohn sells).

I do have two quick questions though...

1) cleaning suggestions for the Lombard? Mine's starting to get scuzzy from riding all winter, plus I'd like to help boost the waterproofing again with the nikwax wash-in stuff...

2) Are the Mattole jeans in stock? I'm looking for a 34. Also, what size is the leg opening? Hoping they'll go over my DS boots as I find them more comfortable some days... and hoping they'll fit like my Lucky 181's.

skierd screwed with this post 05-24-2010 at 11:27 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #1601
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse
I'd be a guaranteed customer (provided the armor would be adjustable in a wide range). 6'4"/36"
I am the same size and the Lombard in a XL/Tall fit me perfectly, I have plenty of length in the legs (they just touch the tops of my boots sitting on the bike).
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #1602
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
I've got a few thousand miles on my Lombard now (including one of the 40mph faceplants mentioned, tweaked shoulder and rug burn on my left knee, no other injury) I've been wearing it a lot less now that the temperature and humidity have crept back up, unless it looks like rain outside. The weather pulled a switch on me today by looking gloomy as I rode in to work, but cleared to a warm and muggy late spring day by the time I got off. So for the first time, I opened all of the vents... magic. Simply magic. Cool and comfortable once I got moving. :) Its amazing how soft and comfortable its gotten too now that I've worn it a lot, still bulky but a lot easier to move around in now.

The only vents I'd remove are the lower two chest vents that are right above the pockets, for me they don't flow much air and leak. The epulet vents ROCK! I'm 50/50 on the long arm vents. Mine leaks, near the snap and further up towards the shoulder, what happens I think is in that area the flap that covers the zipper is facing forward (by design to scoop air I'd imagine to feed the vent) ends up scooping water and forcing it through the zipper. Maybe a longer flap with a velcro stay the way Olympia has for the AST would help, or ditching the flap altogether and having an open zipper. Or putting the flap on the other side of the zipper so that it blocks water, its a wide enough vent that I don't think it needs the help with air....

re: hip armor. I'd prefer to have pocket access. If I want hip armor, I'll wear something like the Bohn or 661 shorts. Might be an idea to add simple pockets and have armor optional (I've made hip pads for my klim baja's from the DIY armor kit that Bohn sells).

I do have two quick questions though...

1) cleaning suggestions for the Lombard? Mine's starting to get scuzzy from riding all winter, plus I'd like to help boost the waterproofing again with the nikwax wash-in stuff...

2) Are the Mattole jeans in stock? I'm looking for a 34. Also, what size is the leg opening? Hoping they'll go over my DS boots as I find them more comfortable some days... and hoping they'll fit like my Lucky 181's.
I agree the venting system is amazing on this suit. I have been out in 85 degrees with 80% plus humidity and as long as I was moving I was comfortable with a tee shirt and jeans underneath, I did not even realize how hot it was out until I stopped for gas.

For the hip armor I would suggest just adding it as an option and include the Velcro strips in the suit to attach it so it can be added later if the customer wants it, similar to the way Aerostitch does it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #1603
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief
I agree the venting system is amazing on this suit. I have been out in 85 degrees with 80% plus humidity and as long as I was moving I was comfortable with a tee shirt and jeans underneath, I did not even realize how hot it was out until I stopped for gas.

For the hip armor I would suggest just adding it as an option and include the Velcro strips in the suit to attach it so it can be added later if the customer wants it, similar to the way Aerostitch does it.
I have a few hundred miles on my Lombard now.

The venting is good but 80+ is just too warm to me in the Lombard. I agree it's not bad when moving, but the moment I stop I'm dripping with sweat. It's a heavy suit. It's absolutely comfortable up to 70s.

I'm very likely to buy a Mojave imminently.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #1604
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd

The long arm vents leak for me, too. I think if they were reversed, it would solve it. Make it so the outer fabric flap covering the zipper faces the rear. When unzipped, they'll expand enough that they'll still act as scoops and draw air in, but water won't be directed right into the sleeves when it rains.

More leg venting would be nice -- but I also would prefer hip armor to pocket access.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #1605
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
I want a Lombard AND the Mojave.

Just need a "Short" size for my 30" inseam.
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote