more stuff on ebay

a few more left over suits on ebay:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Teiz-Motorsports
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #167
OftKilted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Review of the Vented 1-Piece Teiz Motorsports Motorcycle Suit (Pre-Production)

Review of the Vented 1-Piece Teiz Motorsports Motorcycle Suit (Pre-Production)

When Teiz Motorsports offered the 1-Piece suits for sale on Ebay I was in need of a different option than what I had for my commuting gear. So, I stepped up to the table to try it out and take the plunge into buying more gear. I purchased the Medium Sized light grey model and I have been using it for my commute back and forth to work for the past week. My daily commute consists of a round trip of ~50 miles on mainly highway with a little bit of city driving that takes between about 40-60 minutes each way (depending on traffic). So far, I've been in light snow, very light rain, a bunch of wind, and a whole bunch of 35-50 degree F weather.

Please take into consideration that this unit was a pre-production model, and that I was warned that there may be changes to the design, but I will have to leave discussion of those changes to Teiz Motorsports. Any suggestions I make in my lengthy posting are humbly submitted for improving the v1.5 or v2.0 (as the case may be) of the suit, if they haven't already made the production version.

Summary:
The Vented 1-Piece suit is a nice inexpensive initial offering from a new Motorsports clothing manufacturer that has many extremely useful features with solid workmanship and some limitations.

Positives:
+ Snug but comfortable fit
+ Shoulder, arm and back armor fits perfectly
+ Lots of big pockets (you can loose your arm in the pockets that go down the thigh or down the back).
+ Zipper that allows access through liner to interior pockets at the waist. (This allows one to have a heated gear cabling to connect without making a hole in the suit.)
+ Lots of reflective material
+ Grip material on the suit's seat works well and doesn't impact moving about on the bike
+ With the liner the suit works down to ~40 degrees F with all the zippers closed (note: there are lots of zippered vents. Don't forget to close them or you will get unexpected cold drafts ... don't ask me how I know this.)
+ The neck design is easily workable wearing gloves.
+ Zipper pulls are usable while wearing gloves.
+ Knee armor is easily accessible from an external zipper, and the armor placement pocket is easily accessible from inside for modification.
+ Shin armor is easily accessible to be upgraded or removed.

Negatives:
- The sleeves appear to be designed for the glove gauntlet to go outside not inside. (some might view this as a positive)
- Shin armor provided has no padding and is a plain shin shaped piece of plastic.
- Knee armor position isn't adjustable (at least on my pre-production unit) and the space provided does not appear conducive to upgrading knee armor to armor with better coverage.
- Knee armor when in riding position is about 1-2" above my knee.
- Leg length when in riding position could be slightly longer (by about 1 to 2").
- Potential for cold drafts from wind going up the suit leg. (Brrr, that was one chilly ride home.)
- No instructions for cleaning/washing

The LONG commentary:
I have been commuting in the suit for a week. The weather has been chilly ~35 to 45 degrees F. I have worn normal business wear (business suit or slacks and dress shirt), combined with the insulated liner that came with the suit and a lightweight thinsulate Balaclava. On the first day I specifically did not wear my electric vest (an Exo2 StormRider) under the suit to see how cold I felt was reasonable for the suit. Without my electric vest and just wearing the suit and liner I would say that it was cool but not uncomfortable. I did note a bit of unexpected chill however that was due to a vent zipper or two being open on the trip. I have gone to wearing my electric vest since the first day but it wouldn't be necessary with a good base later and mid layer.

The knee armor pockets have no ability to adjust up or down. Unfortunately when in a riding position that places them ~2" above my knee when in a riding position on my SV650. (It has a relatively upright position for riding.) The pockets are sized such that replacing the armor with upgraded armor may be a challenge. That being said the suit design allows easy access to inside the liner so making a change won't be too difficult. A substantially longer pocket, like the huge waist level ones with Velcro inside to allow adjustment of height would be marvelous. I'll probably make that modification myself over the coming weekend or so.

The liner adds just enough warmth to cut the chill when worn with all of the vent zippers sealed for my nearly hour long commute. As a note for improvement: The liner is difficult to connect to the connection points in the sleeves. (I decided to install the liner after finding out how chilly it was on first morning commute.) This appears to be due to the wrist diameter being constant and without a gusset at the wrist to allow easier access to the inside of the sleeve.

The lack of a gusset at the wrist also makes putting on gloves that have gauntlets and are designed to go inside the sleeves a difficult proposition (as an example are most of the Rev'it! gloves). The neoprene like material on the inside of the wrist combined with the close fit at the wrist catches the glove when trying to slide the wrist into the sleeve. I have managed to get around this issue, but that first couple of mornings, it was a bit challenging (It still can be, but it is manageable). Because the wrist fits snugly the wrist Velcro is for the most part unused but it can still snug down slightly to remove any apparent potential for cold air getting up the sleeve.

This issue (and the liner install difficulties) could likely be addressed by an approximately 2-3" triangular gusset approximately 2" long. The gusset would be able to be snugged with the Velcro strap already at the wrist and make getting the gloves into the sleeves a much easier proposition. It would also facilitate getting to the snap location in the liner.

At first look I felt that the attachment straps for the liner to the suit legs was too long by about an inch. After using the suit I have come to the conclusion that was incorrect. I will note that I have wished the liner were a little longer on at least one of my rides to and from work as I ended up with some cold air going up the leg on the suit for the ride home.

The leg width at the ankle seemed much larger than I would expect for my standard touring/commuting boots (I wear the boot inside the suit) and I couldn't find anything to tighten up the ankle area before heading out. I would personally like to see some way to tighten the fit at the ankle, and may see if I can come up with some modification to make that change. This would also allow me to lengthen the suit by the ~1.5-2" that appears "necessary" for when sitting on the bike. (I'll see if I can get some pictures.)

The suit does fit snugly in the torso from a neck to crotch measurement perspective (I'm 5'7"-5'8" tall) and collarbone to crotch is about 26" for me with an inseam measurement of 30", and with the liner and armor in the suit it is snug but not uncomfortable. I might wish for a little more "stretching" room but it seems to work. I'm not sure that anyone taller than me would fit the medium comfortably.

The finish quality is good, and the pockets are huge. The pocket in the back looks large enough to put the suit liner into it. No complaints on the zippers or the velcro.

I like what I see so far and I'll be using it on my daily commute until it gets too hot with all the vents unzipped.

Thanks again!

Oft Kilted

OftKilted screwed with this post 03-17-2009 at 04:19 PM Reason: (Forgot title)
OftKilted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #168
ABQTJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
excellent review!
ABQTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #169
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
Were any of the issues brought up by Oft Kilted changed for the production models?
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #170
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Hi,
thanks for putting this up. in my reply below, i have addressed some of the issues mentioned here. all points have been noted and we will try to incorporate all feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OftKilted

Any suggestions I make in my lengthy posting are humbly submitted for improving the v1.5 or v2.0 (as the case may be) of the suit, if they haven't already made the production version.
all comments, good or bad, are appreciated.

Quote:
- Knee armor position isn't adjustable (at least on my pre-production unit) and the space provided does not appear conducive to upgrading knee armor to armor with better coverage.
definitely trying to get this feature in version 2.0

Quote:
- No instructions for cleaning/washing
thanks for pointing this out.. duly noted

Quote:
I have gone to wearing my electric vest since the first day but it wouldn't be necessary with a good base later and mid layer.
the pre production version had 75g thermal liners. the production versions have 100g liners (more warm)

Quote:
The leg width at the ankle seemed much larger than I would expect for my standard touring/commuting boots (I wear the boot inside the suit) and I couldn't find anything to tighten up the ankle area before heading out. I would personally like to see some way to tighten the fit at the ankle, and may see if I can come up with some modification to make that change.
did you try tightening the shin adjustment straps?

Quote:
The finish quality is good, and the pockets are huge. The pocket in the back looks large enough to put the suit liner into it. No complaints on the zippers or the velcro.

I like what I see so far and I'll be using it on my daily commute until it gets too hot with all the vents unzipped.
thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #171
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleg
Were any of the issues brought up by Oft Kilted changed for the production models?
Hi,
The main issue raised was fitting and that obviously varies from rider to rider.Most of the people who have tried our suit have had a good experience with the fit.

The second issue was the sleeves. As the writer mentioned, he managed to slide the gloves over the sleeves. I just wanted to point out that the sleeves themselves are very feature heavy so making changes means cutting some other things out.

Putting the liner on/off takes a few minutes the first time around because you have to find the loops for the tabs. Next time around, since you know their location, its pretty quick.

The liner has been upgraded to 100g for the production versions.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #172
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,512
When you come out with the prodution suits will I be able to get a 4XL in HI VIZ yellow??.

Alan..
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #173
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Oftkilted. Can you tell us what you weigh and what your chest measurement is?
I am 5'4" tall, 29" inseam, and 155 lbs.
I want to order one when the hi-viz is available, and want to be able to fit heated liners under it, so I am unsure if a med or sm is correct size for me.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #174
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider
When you come out with the prodution suits will I be able to get a 4XL in HI VIZ yellow??.

Alan..
Yes. Hopefully, we will enable pre-ordering for these soon as well.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #175
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

more waterproof comments

Taken from sport-touring.net forums

they are either waterproof, or they're not..
You could look at this two ways:
1/ They are being upfront and honest by stating they are not fully waterproof.

or:

b/ The suits leak like a sieve and as they have alluded to this on their website, any warranty claims re. leakage can be refused on such grounds.

---------------------
Response:

I think the apropriate thing to do is first define the conditions. Would any of the other manufacturers refund money if a customer rode in a heavy shower for eight hours because there suit was advertised as waterproof? I think the customer should know the extent of wet conditions the suits are capable of.

Our suit is not intended as a replacement for a full rain suit. Yet it can handle wet conditions because it has a wateproof liner and cordura itself is waterproof. If the water seeps in through the seams, it hits the waterproof liner. Please read our waterproof page on our website for more details on this. However, despite having the liner, there is no guarantee that water can not seep through if you plan to brave it through a storm. Such a guarantee or claim of being 100% percent (ONE HUNDREDS PERCENT) would be preposterous. Meaning that the vendor is claiming that THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THAT A SINGLE DROP OF WATER CAN COME ONTO THE RIDER REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE RIDER IS UPTO. that is what 100% means to me, and i can not make such a heavy claim.

Does this mean that the suit is not waterproof? No. It means that the suit can handle wet conditions up to a certain level.
Hope this helps and clarifies a bit further. Keep the questions coming.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #176
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,512
Ok then a 4XL in HI VIZ and I'm ready to order.
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #177
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Hey Teizms. How far away (timeline) is the 2 pc version?
I would greatly prefer a 2 pc, and would wait till a 2 pc is offered if it's not too far off.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #178
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Hey Teizms. How far away (timeline) is the 2 pc version?
I would greatly prefer a 2 pc, and would wait till a 2 pc is offered if it's not too far off.
Hi,

2pc is still a bit far. we are working on variations of our product, one of which is the 2pc. If you buy a 1pc now, we offer discounts to returning customers :)

Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #179
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider
Ok then a 4XL in HI VIZ and I'm ready to order.
stay tuned. thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #180
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
Hi,

2pc is still a bit far. we are working on variations of our product, one of which is the 2pc. If you buy a 1pc now, we offer discounts to returning customers :)

Thanks
OK. That is enough incentive to buy the 1 pc this season and maybe the 2 pc later on. Please LMK as soon as the Hi Viz yellow is avilable.