Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #2506
djrussell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
That looks nice and the vents should be effective. I also just realized this thread has over 2500 posts!
djrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #2507
BrainBender
Bounty Hunter

Oddometer: 373
Thumb

Very clean look!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #2508
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Please note that these pictures are of early prototypes, being worn by a factory worked who is not even the right size for the jacket.. these pictures are just meant to show where the direction of design is heading...

The jacket length and fit is meant to be touring oriented but not overly loose or long..
Attached Images

teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #2509
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

another angle
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #2510
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

and again
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #2511
TO Scootz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Right on....Ghazi !!!!

Great stuff Ghazi. I was just reading your comments on the Power Shell page of your website, and I agree with you completely. I'd rather have a suit that vents, and can breath (the cordura is un-coated, I hope?) and then put a dedicated rain suit over it. As a motorcycle camper, it's a lot easier to live with a rain suit that's wet on the outside, and can have the water shaken off of it outside the tent, rather than living with a soggy riding suit that gets everything else wet. Even in a motel I've had every hanger in the room loaded down with sopping wet "waterproof" riding gear. I use Helly Hansen rain pants with my Teknic jacket. The Teknic jacket IS waterproof, but it fills up with water between the outer layer and the waterproof lining, creating a soggy, dripping mess. The HH rain pants are great, light, totally watertight, and they seem to breath. I'd happily get the HH rain jacket to go with the pants I own, and wear them over a Power Shell when it rains.

TO Scootz screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 04:46 AM Reason: Getting the names right.
TO Scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #2512
Evel Otto
Formerly Hinz

Oddometer: 401
I'm currently in the market for a textile 1pc suit and I was originally looking at the Stich Roadcrafter lite (almost $1000 for a suit all-said-and-done is a tad extreme) because I'm of the anti-liner mindset. When it comes to waterproof liner rain protection, I find it counter productive to stop, take off gear, install liners and put back on gear....in a sudden downpour....while on the way to work. I've also tried using various external rain jackets/pants and rain suits but I feel like the little brother in a Christmas Story once I have riding gear+rainsuit+gaiters+glove covers on....and by the time I actually get all that stuff on, I'm still sweating and swearing anyways.
Lastly, as far at lower temperatures go, I usually don't put the liner in any of my textile jackets or pants unless it's sub 50 deg. F outside...I'd much rather wear my own hoodie or insulating layer then wear what is the equivalent to a 1980s nylon jacket (which is what most of my jacket liners seem to be).

I realize that it must be hard to create a suit that has good airflow and also be waterproof but even I was impressed with how a simple summer baselayer works wonders with riding gear that has minimal venting...it's almost like "wearable air conditioning" lol.

Sorry for the winded whining session but it sounds like from your website that you guys have no intentions of creating a liner-less waterproof riding suit...that being said, which one of your textile 1pc suits would you consider to be the most waterproof WITHOUT the liner in?
Thanks and I'm excited to see what you guys come up with in the future!

Evel Otto screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 06:22 AM
Evel Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #2513
baggio95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
The pants look great. An additional cargo pocket on the left leg would be great. Are the pants wide enough at the ankle to comfortably go outside the boot.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #2514
TO Scootz
Adventurer

I think what Ghazi is saying, is that while a waterproof, vented, comfortable one piece suit is possible, very few could afford it and even fewer would buy it. You'd need a suit with gore-tex bonded to the cordura and the ballistic cloth. All taped seams, including all pockets, trim and reflective bits, all waterproof zippers, with the zippers sealed to the outer layer, and with overlapping inner and outer flaps. It would make a Roadcrafter look really cheap by comparison, and pray you never damage one of those too-tricky-by-half waterproof zippers. I have waterproof zippers on my ski jacket pockets, and they are a PITA to open and close. As far as a warm inner layer is concerned, I'll just drop by MEC (Canadian version of REI) and pick up some of their reasonably priced and very warm fleece layers.

TO Scootz screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 12:42 PM Reason: fixing "senior moment"
Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #2515
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Scootz View Post
I think what Ghazi is saying, is that while a waterproof, vented, comfortable one piece suit is possible, very few could afford it and even fewer would buy it. You'd need a suit with gore-tex bonded to the cordura and the ballistic cloth. All taped seams, including all pockets, trim and reflective bits, all waterproof zippers, with the zippers sealed to the outer layer, and with overlapping inner and outer flaps. It would make a Roadcrafter look really cheap by comparison, and pray you never damage one of those too-tricky-by-half waterproof zippers. I have waterproof zippers on my ski jacket pockets, and they are a PITA to open and close. As far as a warm inner layer is concerned, I'll just drop by MEC (Canadian version of REI) and pick up some of their reasonably priced and very warm fleece layers.
Correct.

Additionally, it rains a certain percentage of the riding time, usually not the whole darn trip (that trip would not be very pleasant). I don't want to deal with a totally sealed suit for fifteen days just because its going to rain for a couple of hours.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #2516
TO Scootz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
Correct.

Additionally, it rains a certain percentage of the riding time, usually not the whole darn trip (that trip would not be very pleasant). I don't want to deal with a totally sealed suit for fifteen days just because its going to rain for a couple of hours.
Ghazi, don't ever tour the Low Countries (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg) on a motorcycle. The wife and I car camped there for a month a few years ago. Of the twenty eight days we were there, it rained on twenty five of the days. Of course it didn't rain all day, but it did rain part of all those twenty five days. And yes, it wasn't our happiest vacation, our gear was growing mouldy inside the tent. Great countries to visit, though. (take an umbrella).
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #2517
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
The suit looks very nice. Just FYI, the way I use my gear is to have a very cool summer suit (I have a textile mesh getup for commuting and your leather-mesh for spirited riding) and a winter suit. The winter suit might as well be waterproof all the time. I'd love a truly waterproof, well-armored, good-fitting winter suit. Don't need a lot of insulation or bulk. Vents etc unimportant to me for this application.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #2518
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
What about leg zippers... do they go all the way up ?
One thing I hate is to have to take my boots off to remove riding pants.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #2519
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
What about leg zippers... do they go all the way up ?
One thing I hate is to have to take my boots off to remove riding pants.
Currently no...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #2520
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 196
Once my current weight reduction program finishes (20 down and 25 to go) I'll be in the market for a new outfit. Will Black with Red be an available option ?