Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #781
keeb
Live fast. Die young.

Oddometer: 60
First off...let's try and take the bickering elsewhere so as not to dilute the useful information on this thread.

After having used the suit (Lombard) daily for a week now, I've come to a few conclusions.

First, and possibly most important, being the fit. I am well pleased with the fit while riding. The cuff of the legs comes just to the top of my shoe, so they ride up to just the right height while riding. The arms are also a good length in the riding position. The suit is not too big that it flaps anywhere while at cruising speed ~ 75mph.

Someone else mentioned the zipper being fiddly, but I have not experienced this. I just keep getting faster at entry and exit as the velcro "breaks in" and I get more practiced at the motions. The right leg zips and velcros really quickly, and the main zipper is marginally slower because of the storm flap system. This is acceptable to me, because when the rain comes I'll want that storm flap, I'm sure.

I really wanted to test the waterproofness a few days ago, and started in a pretty good downpour, but I rode out of it in only 5 minutes or so. It's a pretty poor test, but I did remain dry. I opted not to bust out the hood.

I'm on the fence about the gripper butt. On one hand I believe it might make it difficult to shift my booty around when the riding gets sportier. But on the other hand, I have a suspicion that it helps out in waterproofing the crotch area. When I got off my bike 30 minutes after it had stopped raining, the only water left on the bike was on the seat. So, I think that rubbery material is a good water barrier. We'll see if it gets a little less grippy with more break in period.

The leg adjusters work fine for me, but I tend to snag the strap on the feelers of the pegs. I've been trying to think how I'd design this feature myself, and can't think of a simple fix. I like the fact that they aren't velcro, but maybe there's some way to make them less snag prone. hmm.

The knee armor fit is fine now that I've adjusted it (it was way too high from the factory). The velcro system allows for infinite adjustment, so if your knee is within range you should be able to find a sweetspot. However, I find the knee armor to be the only thing that bothers me during my ride. It's not uncomfortable really, just the least comfortable facet of the suit for me. I had this problem with some belfast pants and fixed it by replacing the hard armor with soft armor. I think I will try that with the Lombard. I may just have exceptionally bony knees or something.

The collar strap snap on the left collar bone area is pure genius, and until the weather cools down I'll ride with it in snapped position. The collar is a little snug even on the largest setting. This is surprising because I have a pencil neck. My guess is people with normal sized necks will find the collar circumference to be a problem. I feel like the snugness will help keep water out, but if it were any tighter on my neck it would be uncomfortable. Maybe the collar strap could be slightly elastic to help with this. hmm.

Last thing...Air flow. The top half of the suit is vented about as well as anybody could ask for. It flows air no problem. I've been riding in the 70-90 degree range, and have remained as comfortable as one can be with full gear on. The legs don't receive much air flow, so the lower half of me gets hotter than the top. However, when the suit meets the pavement, I'm not sure I want tons of vents on my legs. For this same reason, I usually don't open the long arm vents while riding.

I'm still really glad that I pulled the trigger on buying this suit. I've only mentioned these few niggles, because I know Ghazi listens to his customers, and perhaps my experience thus far can answer some questions others might be asking.
keeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #782
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,567
I was fortunate enough to meet up this morning with a local rider who just took delivery of her Lombard suit. She was gracious enough to meet me so that I could check out the suit. I wore my Olympia Phantom suit to the meeting for purposes of comparison. I examined it carefully but did not put it on since it was smaller than I would use.

I am now certain that I will be buying a Lombard. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of construction and materials which appeared in large part to rival my Olympia.

It looks as if it would be easier to put on and off than my Olympia, which is an important quality for me in using the suit as a commuter. This is primarily due to the zipper configuration, which is similar to that of a Roadcrafter. The Phantom has a single zipper from neck to crotch and then size zips down each leg. Because of the continuous velcro weather flap over each zipper, I have found it quicker to keep the leg side zips up and take off my shoes to put on the suit, and then put the shoes back on. I have to unzip the leg zippers when keeping the shoes on. It takes longer to undo and do up all the velcro than take the shoes off and on.

The grippy bottom seems nice to me, since both my scooter and dual sport seats are a little slippery, and the Phantom has a Cordura nylon bottom that slides pretty easily. This has given me the occasional pucker factor during panic stops and I almost slide off the seat. With the sort of riding I do, it is a bonus to be firmly planted in the saddle.

So I will be keeping my eye out for a 2XL or 3XL in high-viz orange to come into stock. When it does, I will buy it.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #783
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
wow..just read every post in this thread.. seems to be the anti-Stich business plan. Folks have been screaming for these features from Aerostich and almost no response. I use a Darien Jacket, own top of the line Revit gear, but I am awfully tempted by that leather suit combo deal.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #784
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

I have just now ordered the Lombard in high-viz orange in size 2XL. Ghazi was kind enough to read my earlier posting and sent me a PM pointing out that the high-viz suits are not routinely stocked and will be made to order.

I also gave him my measurements and told him of my desire to use this as a commuter over a business suit even with a liner. He recommended the 2XL size for my needs. In case anyone else would find this useful for sizing, I am 5'10", 200 lbs, wear a 42 regular business suit, 36x30 dress slacks, 16x33 dress shirt and have a 32 inch bicycling inseam. By the size chart, I would take a Large, but did want some extra room for the business suit.

With any luck, this suit should arrive in the October shipment, and I will give a report then.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #785
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x
wow..just read every post in this thread.. seems to be the anti-Stich business plan. Folks have been screaming for these features from Aerostich and almost no response. I use a Darien Jacket, own top of the line Revit gear, but I am awfully tempted by that leather suit combo deal.
now that is a combo you wont find elsewhere..

i personally really dig the Diego as summer suit. leather has something about it...

thanks for the feedback millcreel and keeb
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #786
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeb
SNIP....
I'm on the fence about the gripper butt. On one hand I believe it might make it difficult to shift my booty around when the riding gets sportier. ..SNIP.....
Like many others, I use Armor-All or similiar spray on most of my plastic and rubbery (bike) parts..... Once I applied it to the seat and boy was that a slippery mistake - but I wonder if it would help counter act the "gripper butt" syndrome.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #787
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

ok seriously.. post some pictures
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #788
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Ghazi,
still lurking, but, now you've got me curious what this gripper butt stuff is? Can you tell me the name of the fabric? I've been looking for a breathable, thin nonslip fabric of some sort to cover my beadrider. Love the beads. Hate slipping around all over the place.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #789
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Ghazi,
still lurking, but, now you've got me curious what this gripper butt stuff is? Can you tell me the name of the fabric? I've been looking for a breathable, thin nonslip fabric of some sort to cover my beadrider. Love the beads. Hate slipping around all over the place.
its just a rubber grippy material similar to the grip patches you may have seen for cellphones
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #790
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Quote:
Ghazi,
Actually, I know just the thing: Tough Tek from Seattle Fabrics

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/tough.html

This store is very well-known in the outdoor recreation and marine community. If you need to sew or repair a backpack, create a boat cover or need a new awning, these people can help.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #791
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
its just a rubber grippy material similar to the grip patches you may have seen for cellphones
thanks!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #792
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
Actually, I know just the thing: Tough Tek from Seattle Fabrics

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/tough.html

This store is very well-known in the outdoor recreation and marine community. If you need to sew or repair a backpack, create a boat cover or need a new awning, these people can help.
sounds great, but, $22 yard? I just don't need that much! the samples won't be enough...
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #793
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Quote:
sounds great, but, $22 yard? I just don't need that much! the samples won't be enough...
Please note that the minimum order is 0.5 yards. That brings it down to $ 11 plus shipping.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #794
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,062
Ok,I finally spent some time riding in my new vented V2 suit.FIRST the good..It seems to be better built than the V1 suit I sent back.It looks,feels top notch.Every thing seems to be where it sould be.Now the BAD.There are only 2 real problems I see except the size ( which is my fualt,I sent in my measuremnts ) for anybody that likes to OR needs to move around on the seat,the GRIPPER material on the seat won't let you do that without semi standing up.I NEED to move alot becuase of a crushed disc in my lower back.2nd, I got the HI VIZ yellow suit which looks GREAT BUT,the hi viz on the legs is on the INSIDE of the thigh????.There is a little bit that shows on the outside BUT most of the HI VIZ is against the bike ??.What you see is black with reflective stripes.I would like to see the hiviz on the outside where people can see it and notice me !!.Those are the only 2 things that I can find to bitch about.The suit is just what I wanted and needed and for the price it CAN NOT be beat !!.I LOVE THIS SUIT !!!!
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #795
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider
Ok,I finally spent some time riding in my new vented V2 suit.FIRST the good..It seems to be better built than the V1 suit I sent back.It looks,feels top notch.Every thing seems to be where it sould be.Now the BAD.There are only 2 real problems I see except the size ( which is my fualt,I sent in my measuremnts ) for anybody that likes to OR needs to move around on the seat,the GRIPPER material on the seat won't let you do that without semi standing up.I NEED to move alot becuase of a crushed disc in my lower back.2nd, I got the HI VIZ yellow suit which looks GREAT BUT,the hi viz on the legs is on the INSIDE of the thigh????.There is a little bit that shows on the outside BUT most of the HI VIZ is against the bike ??.What you see is black with reflective stripes.I would like to see the hiviz on the outside where people can see it and notice me !!.Those are the only 2 things that I can find to bitch about.The suit is just what I wanted and needed and for the price it CAN NOT be beat !!.I LOVE THIS SUIT !!!!
Besides the silicon spray, you may like the new Beadrider seat with ceramic beads http://www.beadrider.com/shop/category.asp?catid=2 - I have the original wooden beads but met a rider who has the new ones and remarked that they were very slippery - I have no connection, butt (pun intended) I am a satisfied customer.

"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote