User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #796
keeb
Live fast. Die young.

Oddometer: 60
lombard update:
I swapped the hard knee armor for some joe rocket CE stuff that I had laying around. Same armor they sell at newenough. MUCH more comfy than the hard stuff and covers more of my leg. I did have to cut off a little bit of the bottom of the pads to get a better fit in the suit's armor pocket.
keeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #797
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Wore the suit again yesterday and a couple things really need attention:

1. Velcro type strap for the bottom of the legs - I rode my XR yesterday and it caught on the pegs a lot as I got on and off. I plan on adding some sort of strap to mine to try and prevent this. The bottom of the leg def needs some way of being snugged.

2. The neck is too small. Yesterday I wore a buff type thing around my neck and the neck strap, which I could still close, was quite tight. I think with something thicker around the neck, it would be too tight. I am not still not convinced about the whole hood thing so I am going to try it with the hood out and see if that gives the neck enclosure a bit more room and if so I might just cut the hood off.

Aside from that (and my previous comments) I'm still loving the suit
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #798
12bswayed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
my thoughts so far......

First off, I really like this suit. I have the Lombard in black. I'm sure I look "frumpy" in it but I don't care!! It's well made and I really like the light weight feel of the material, yet it does feel substantial enough to protect in a crash. The material has some windproofing to it...last week, I rode in just a t-shirt underneath and a light weight pair of pants and I couldn't feel the wind blast through the suit. I was riding at 60mph in some sections of my ride.

The things I don't like are the pucks, the knee/shin armor, the liner and the straps at bottom of each leg.

Seriously Ghazi, if you're going to keep the grippy material in the seat, get rid of the pucks. If you're gonna keep the pucks, ditch the grippy buns. Personally, I don't mind the grippy seat. But I know track technique preaches sliding off the seat, one side or another...dunno how that's gonna happen with the grippy seat.

In my Motoport (Cycleport) pants, the knee/shin armor is one piece....it works really well. I'm having difficulty getting the knee armor in the right place and will probably search out one piece replacement.

I know this will sound harsh, but for me, the liner is useless. It's too bulky. At first, my suit didn't fit with the liner in it, but when I took the liner out, it was loose, but I was able to adjust it and it still fit well. When I put on my heated jacket and windproof fleece pants, I could still get a really good fit.

I have also caught my leg on my pegs a couple of times when I've gone to put my foot down. The straps are also difficult to adjust with the suit on. I'm going to need a little helper to get them snugged up then we'll see if they still catch. I'm thinking a velcro strap here may solve the problem.

I have not ridden in the rain yet, but it's coming soon so I'll let you all know how the suit fairs in the damp.

Overall, I'm very please with this suit. For an off the rack suit, designed to fit a man, this suit fits me very well. I will be telling all my women (men too!) riding friends to check you out Ghazi!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #799
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Right, so we can take Laurie off the list of ladies who are 'that woman'

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #800
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
site is going through some routine maintainance so please let me know if you face any glitches
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #801
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
one piece suit request

Ghazi,

I have read through all 54 pages of discussions about your business and suits.

Congrats to you for making those suits available at a low cost, good quality and excellent customer service.

I noticed that you take a lot of customer input and then you deliver an incredible product (price/quality/features). I think you will succeed where other businesses fail to take such input from their customers.

The reason that I'm writing here is b/c I am a big fan of one piece suits, currently I have a Olympia Phantom in Hi-Viz and I'm looking for a second suit, preferable mesh.

After reading many crash reports, I found out that the best mesh suit around is the one sold by Motoport. Repeatedly, riders will point out that that kevlar mesh saved them from road rash, where some riders wearing the mesh suit from Olympia reported suit breakage at seams and the weak abrasion resistance of nylon mesh.

How much will you charge for a one piece mesh made out of kevlar mesh? I understand that there is a waiting time and you have all the templates and plans for making the suit, it will be just a matter of different material, which is more expensive than non-kevlar mesh.

For me, I would like to wear the best suit available, but right now (I'm a full time student) money are the issue. I wouldn't mind the Motoport kevlar mesh, but their price is too high for me and maybe you can beat it by a good margin.

Let me know, maybe some other riders are interested in the deal.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #802
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the feedback mercury, swayed, keeb and northwest

Velcro for shin/ankle adjustments:
through out the suit, we were trying to reduce the use of velcro. however, if the request is recurring, we will switch to velcro straps

grippy seat - this has been discussed. i need more feedback from folks on this to see in which direction to take this matter because a lot of people are telling me that they really like this.

pucks - they are removable for those who dont need them so i dont think they present much of an issue.

ro_manian:
you should consider our leather-mesh one-piece (Diego).. the protection of leather with the air flow of a mesh suit. AND it flows more air than any other suit out there (aprt from mojave ). We dont have kevlar mesh available as an option at the moment but are looking into it.

ghazi
Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #803
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
Velcro for shin/ankle adjustments:
through out the suit, we were trying to reduce the use of velcro. however, if the request is recurring, we will switch to velcro straps

grippy seat - this has been discussed. i need more feedback from folks on this to see in which direction to take this matter because a lot of people are telling me that they really like this.
I like the grippy seat. MY MX pants have them and I like them.
Velcro straps are a good solution.

Quote:
pucks - they are removable for those who dont need them so i dont think they present much of an issue.
It's too much rocket science.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #804
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Is it really 6-8 weeks to ship the Lombard? I'm going on a trip to the Texas Hill country the first week of October and I really want this suit to wear on the trip.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #805
keeb
Live fast. Die young.

Oddometer: 60
I don't understand why everybody wants velcro leg adjuster straps. One thing I like about the suit is that velcro is minimal. When you have velcro everywhere, the suit will inevitably stick to itself at the worst times like when you are trying to balance and stick your leg through.

To me, the leg adjustments are something you should be adjusting before you put your suit on, and once you get it right, you don't have to mess with it anymore.

The only downside is the feeler peg snagging. This is something that you can quickly learn to avoid by simply swinging your leg out one inch further than usual. I snagged my leg a few times, but after a few days of commuting it hasn't happened since. You just learn to avoid it.

Maybe as a fix...the the strap adjustment can be left the way it is, but there could be velcro on the underside of the strap, and on the suit. Thus, you could adjust the leg adjusters, and then press it down so it was stuck to the suit and the peg snagging would be minimal. The velcro would also be completely covered by the adjuster strap and so not stick to the other velcro on the suit.
keeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #806
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider
Is it really 6-8 weeks to ship the Lombard? I'm going on a trip to the Texas Hill country the first week of October and I really want this suit to wear on the trip.
not at all.. i have your size available in light gray and black...available to shipped within 24 hours of your order..when you select the size/color on the website, it should display the status as in-stock for those suits..

however, keep in mind that the suit is 3 inches longer than the last time you ordered.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #807
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeb
I don't understand why everybody wants velcro leg adjuster straps. One thing I like about the suit is that velcro is minimal. When you have velcro everywhere, the suit will inevitably stick to itself at the worst times like when you are trying to balance and stick your leg through.

To me, the leg adjustments are something you should be adjusting before you put your suit on, and once you get it right, you don't have to mess with it anymore.

The only downside is the feeler peg snagging. This is something that you can quickly learn to avoid by simply swinging your leg out one inch further than usual. I snagged my leg a few times, but after a few days of commuting it hasn't happened since. You just learn to avoid it.

Maybe as a fix...the the strap adjustment can be left the way it is, but there could be velcro on the underside of the strap, and on the suit. Thus, you could adjust the leg adjusters, and then press it down so it was stuck to the suit and the peg snagging would be minimal. The velcro would also be completely covered by the adjuster strap and so not stick to the other velcro on the suit.
yes thats wat i was thinking too. but added velcro would make it more cubersome.. still thinking about a perfect solution
Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #808
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,554
So does ANYBODY know of anything I can put on the grippy seat to make it more slippery??.
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #809
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider
So does ANYBODY know of anything I can put on the grippy seat to make it more slippery??.
Silicone? ;)

I have a nice cushy sheepskin pad on my street bike. I move around on my bike all the time. It's a matter of barely lifting your butt and moving it around. Unless you are riding track style, aka kneedragging, I can't see why this is such a big deal. If anyone rides motocross, a grippy seat is desirable. And we move our butts around a lot.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #810
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Lombard ordered today. Should complement my V1 Mesh nicely. Can't wait for it to get here
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote