Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #976
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
no full length zipper on the tourmaster.. that makes a HUGE difference when donning the suit on/off over clothes...
No kidding, absolutely, youbetcha, that's for sure!

Plus, *any* garment or boot that claims to be waterproof raises my suspicions.

I look forward to the arrival of my Banana Suit.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #977
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
No kidding, absolutely, youbetcha, that's for sure!

Plus, *any* garment or boot that claims to be waterproof raises my suspicions.

I look forward to the arrival of my Banana Suit.
its arriving soon... its part of the next shipment!
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #978
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
its arriving soon... its part of the next shipment!
You rock!!!!!!
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #979
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregneedham
Ok...I am 5'10
Torso 30-32"
Chest 40-42'
Waist 38"
Greg
Greg, I see that you went ahead an ordered the XL Lombard. I think that would be spot on for you.

By way of comparison, I am 5'10", 195 pounds, wear a 16x32 dress shirt, 36x30 dress slacks and a 42 regular jacket. Looking at the size chart, I was thinking about a L or XL. But, I was concerned about being able to wear the suit with the thermal liner over my business suit as a commuter. I would rather be slightly too big than slightly too small. My Olympia Phantom in XL feels slightly too small with the liner in, and just fine with the liner out.

So I had some email exhanges with Ghazi and he recommended the 2XL to make sure that it accommodated my business suit. He was spot on. It would be too big if I was wearing it without the liner over a t-shirt and jeans, but with the liner and a full business suit and cell phone on my belt, it is just perfect. And in the high-viz orange, I stand out on the road. My Phantom is high-viz neon green, so it all works out from a visibility standpoint.

I am quite happy with my Lombard so far. Due to the constant rain and black ice in the mornings, I have not been riding as much as I want, but the suit has worked just fine to date.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #980
gregneedham
I seem to fall often

Oddometer: 854
First of all, I received a call from Ghazi last night regarding the shipping date of my Lombard and have to say that his customer service is amazing. What a unique and pleasant surprise to get a call from a company offering an explanation and solution. That is rare and I am impressed.

MillCreel, thanks for the info. Any insights on how the suit will perform in hot weather? I assume you haven't had a chance to take it out in the heat, but I thought you might be able to make some judgements for me from wearing the suit, even in the cold.

I live in S. Florida and the suit will be worn mostly in 80 degree weather year-round. I am used to full gear, in the heat, so I am not overly concerned. People wear Stitchs down here and I think this suit will vent better than a Stitch.

Greg

My 640 Adventure blog
My 1150 GS blog (retired)
Memphis to Moab - TAT 09 Blog
designkeywest.com
gregneedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #981
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,880
Greg, my initial thought is that the Lombard should be far more comfortable in the heat than my Olympia Phantom. It has more linear inches of vents and the placement of the vents seems a bit better as well.

We get about 25 days a year in Seattle in which the heat is above 85 degrees, and we have very low humidity. We native Seattleites start to complain and feel faint once it gets above 80. I can tell you that for me and my suburban commuting on the maxi-scooter, the Phantom is too hot once it gets above 85 or so. This is a combination of my lack of enthusiasm for the heat, the stop and go nature of my commute and the wind protection on the scooter. If I am on the open road on my DR650, I can wear the Phantom up to around 90 with all the vents open and the neck partially unzipped.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #982
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Eh?

Got my Lombard today, not sure who was more excited to see the FedEx truck pull up, me or the dog (he goes nuts anytime a truck pulls into the cul-de-sac).

I gotta say, I don't know how you expect to stay in business shipping stuff like this:

Kidding of course! Well, mostly. I was very surprised to open the box and see a zippered storage sack with a handle over a simple plastic dry cleaning bag like every other bit of gear I've ordered comes with. This is something that obviously has to cost a little more but is such a great and appreciated touch. I probably won't ride in this suit in summer, so having a handy dandy storage bag from the get go is a big plus!

Pull it out of the bag, laying it out for first impressions

The suit was heavier than I anticipated, but not heavier than my current A* jacket+liner and Olympia AirGlide2 pants+liner. The material feels very good in hand. I also noticed the confetti of pull tabs that others have noted but they don't really bother me.

Time to try it on:

The fit is just about perfect and exactly what I was looking for. For reference, the suit is an XL and I'm 5'10", about 205 pounds, wear 36x32 jeans, and wear a 42-44 jacket with a 17-1/2" neck. The dual arm adjustments are very useful as they take up the extra material well and should make the suit fit properly w/o the liner (haven't tried it yet). My only nit is the neck, its very close to not fitting at the first snap. On the plus side, the material lining the neck is the most comfortable I've seen yet on a jacket so other than the snugness of fit its great. The main zippers are nice and beefy.

Mother nature decided to make it a wonderful day for riding so a on-bike review has gotta wait...

Not.

Snow be damned, I have to get to work and am currently cage-free . Weather conditions were atrocious, we got several inches around my apartment and it was still coming down when I left. It was the wet, sticky snow that occurs when the weather is just cold enough to make it snow. Once into the city, it turned to freezing rain mixed with snow. The ride was half the former and half the latter with the temps hovering at or just above freezing. In other words, just about the worst case cold weather scenario you can find. I'm on the road for about 20mins, half interstate half surface streets. Coming home, it had stopped snoraining, but the temps are hovering at or below freezing.

Impressions from the first ride:

1) Warmth A+
The suit is very warm. All I wore underneath is jeans, a t-shirt, and a thin hoodie. I was on the cool side of comfortable, but I wasn't exactly dressing for all-day outdoor warmth either. There were some wind leaks, mainly in the legs, that I think were more due to me not ensuring that the flaps were folded under the zippers correctly than anything else. Fleece pants and jacket, maybe plus thermal underwear, and you're set for any sane temperature. Keep mind also that the suit was basically being hosed with water and snow...

2) The fit: A
It fits pretty damn well. Arms and legs are just long enough for me. Armor fits in the right spot too. Except for the closeness of the neck, I basically forget its there. It was freezing out, so I had on my thick Olympia winter gloves. At first I couldn't get them to tuck into the sleeves... then I remembered the wrist bellows. Unzip, stuff, zip, strap, perfect. I need to adjust the knee armor still. I was very impressed to see shin and forearm armor, along with a good back protecter and well placed shoulder and elbor armor. I wish there was hip armor, and I wish the neck had more room, but other than those minor nits I'm happy.

3) Waterproof-ness. B
The main body and the 2 main zippers of the suit, in my short test, are waterproof. I had 2 small leaks, from the vents on the sleeves. When I looked at them after work, I noticed they were ever so slightly open so it may be that, not a true leak. The front of the suit was packed with slush when I got to work (my hi-viz bicycling mesh vest that I wear in shitty weather was more or less frozen to the suit), so again a near worst case scenario (worst being monsoon rains). Its funny though, even if the zippers do actually leak, it doesn't bother me too much. Why? Because the suit is not advertised as being waterproof, its advertised as being water-resistent. I don't feel like I've been lied to like every other jacket I've tried that claims "Waterproof!" (except for my Alpinestars, which actually IS waterproof... and hot as hell when the temps get above 75*). If it turns out the zippers do leak, I'll ask the 'stich owners what they use for their crotches

4) Venting - Hell if I know! Its snowing dammit, I'll let y'all know when the sun comes back in a few.

5) Pockets B-still under evaluation
I haven't had it long enough to really mess with the pockets yet, so this may change... I do know that the chest pockets are waterproof (thankfully for my cell phone), but I haven't really explored the rest yet. I do wish there was an internal wallet pocket, but I am very happy that the outer surface of the suit isn't wallpapered with cargo pockets like the 'stich, motoport (standard anyways), and Olympia. I can see the back pocket being useful as hell for extra layers, or for carrying a few notebooks to campus instead of my backpack on days when I don't need a ton of stuff. The chest pockets feel awkward off the bike, but in the right spot on it, a neat touch. I'm still not sure if I like the placement of the pockets on the pants.

Unless we get a blizzard over the holidays, I'll be taking a 3-day trip on the 29th-31st, camping and such, where I'll give the suit a full ride.

Overall:

This is the best one piece you can get for the money. Period.

I haven't ridden in the Rev'It, but I have tried it on and walked around in the dealership in it. IMO its can't be worth the extra $1000, especially given the reports that even it leaks. A 'stich would be a closer call, but I only know other's experience with it and from what I've seen of it from a guy I ride with around here occasionally. I'd leave that comparison to someone who owns both...

While my jacket and pants still might have a place in my wardrobe, I'm so happy I have this to commute and travel in. Once the weather turns warm, there's a good chance I'll be getting a Mojave to go along with it. I do love my Rev'It Air and Rotor pants though...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #983
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

sorry about the lack of updates, i am on the road and will be replying to everyone shortly
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #984
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
It's here !

Almost 7 weeks to the day since ordering. I'd say that puts them doing pretty well on their shipping estimates. 1st 1pc I've ever had on, and won't be riding for a day or 2 since we're having our coldest (and rain/snow-iest) weather so far this year, so comments will have to wait till I've done more than just sit on the bike. But... Haven't seen many pics of the Hi-viz yellow, so here's a couple.

scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #985
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire
Well, it's bright......
Love the straps at the bottoms of the legs. And the velcro on the sleeves.
Clean = Good.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #986
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

awesome reviews/feedback and pics guys.. now the people with the leather suits, people do the same..
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #987
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
wow, that is bright, looks good though and ought to make you a lot more visible.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire
Almost 7 weeks to the day since ordering. I'd say that puts them doing pretty well on their shipping estimates. 1st 1pc I've ever had on, and won't be riding for a day or 2 since we're having our coldest (and rain/snow-iest) weather so far this year, so comments will have to wait till I've done more than just sit on the bike. But... Haven't seen many pics of the Hi-viz yellow, so here's a couple.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #988
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Anyone got a pic of the Hi-Vis Orange??
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #989
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

will also try to see if there are any recent pictures from the show.. plz keep in mind that this picture is of a version 1.0 suit
Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #990
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:

will also try to see if there are any recent pictures from the show.. plz keep in mind that this picture is of a version 1.0 suit
This is pretty close to how it is in real life. Saw one at the San Mateo show. Stark. Bright. Wow. If you want to be seen.....
I wonder if it attracts bees like the yellow one does......
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote