Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #991
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,805
In the next few days, I will try to post pictures of my high-viz orange suit next to my high-viz Olympia Phantom suit for comparison.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #992
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
My Banana Suit arrived today!
I'll test it out as soon as my out-of-place back lets me ride. And it will be going down to Big Bend with me next week. So it will be soon tested on both street and off-road/desert riding.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #993
Jagermeister
Funky White Boy

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
here is the womens size chart.. everything on our site is orderable in a womens size.. custom fitting also available..

http://www.teizms.com/images/sizecha...size_chart.pdf

Any feedback from the Ladies on these suits?

The missus wants to know about entry/exit for potty breaks.

DR650 & XT-250

Always take the long route!
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #994
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Any feedback from the Ladies on these suits?

The missus wants to know about entry/exit for potty breaks.
I'll post one in a few days.

Regarding the latter, judging from wearing insulated coveralls for many years while working on a ranch, it's just a matter of unzipping the full-length zipper enough to wiggle out of the upper part of the suit and then pushing the bulk of the suit to the side (opposite side of full-length zipper). The bulk of the suit may be an imposition, but that's the way it is for any full-length suit/coveralls, even a long coat.

Of course, going in the Great Outdoors may complicate things due to lack of a seat. Then she may have to use the 'hang on to a tree' method.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #995
jetli626
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I got my Lombard at the cycle world show in Long Beach last weekend.

Here's a sweet bullet list for easy comparo...

Lombard suit size/color: small/dark grey
My usual riding jacket size: small or xs
Current leather racing suit size: 40US/50EU (Teknic)
Usual pant size: 30/30 for a not-very-baggy fit
Usual t-shirt size: medium
My height: 5'7"ish
Chest size: 36"
Build: Pretty streamlined. No excess bulk really. Short arms for my overall size, but slightly bulky shoulders, hence the medium t-shirt requirement.

In general, this suit fits very well from the waist down. It is certainly oversized in the armlength department by several inches, although the elbow pads are in the correct spot. It's a bit surprising because other riding jackets (of varying brands...Shift/Fieldsheer/Teknic) that are size small do not have this length issue. Getting into the riding position does not help things.

The stomach region also has a lot of extra material and space. Oddly, even though it seems really bunched up while riding (compared to other people I've seen wear the same suit), I still get a slight wedgie going on when I don't get situated correctly on the bike. I recall that this suit was supposed to be pretty form fitting, like a race suit, but that is not how mine really fits.

It's hard to say what measurement I would change that would remove extra material in the stomach region, but prevent more wedgie action. I think it's actually a result of my butt sliding up too high in the suit, so that the suit's profile of the butt/thigh region is actually not conformed around my body, and this causes that area to not follow my body when I lean forward, creating said wedgie action.

It's like if you sagged your pants really low, I guess, and this causes the suit to have difficulties in conforming to my movement. I think that less vertical suit material in the stomach/chest area would help make things more snug and better fitting. This is evident when i shrug my shoulders really high and bring the suit up on myself a bit. Then everything fits better down low.

Granted, I know there are adjustment straps on the waist, but I can't make them tight enough without running out of velcro. This would help keep the lower portion high enough. But I am still left with the issue of too much material up high.

Generally speaking, I can live with the slightly improper sizing, but I wonder if anyone else who is around my size has experienced similar issues.

Regarding all the bits and pieces on the suit, they seem well thought out. I've only had the chance to ride in some dreary damp weather so far. San Diego is having a bit of a cold/rain snap going on right now. At freeway speeds, there is perhaps too much cold air making its way to my chest (with all vents closed). I think it is coming through the zipper. I've tried perfecting the way in which I close the velcro on the primary front zipper, but it seems to really be hit or miss. The bunching up of material also causes some of the flap to fold open a bit I think.

It would be nice to have a secondary zipper on the liner itself that would let you have a second barrier against wind in the front. My Fieldsheer jacket has this ability, and it works very well. It does't need to be the whole length of the primary zipper either, just in the torso area. A full length of velcro in the chest area might also do the trick, though perhaps this has already been tried without success.

Other than the nagging chest issue, I stayed perfectly comfortable in some crap weather over the past two days. There was a significant amount of mist/rain/moisture in the air and my 30 minute ride from work did not yield any damp spots on my clothes. I do like the rubber-coated butt area providing piece of mind that my soaking wet bike seat will not cause any problems. But I can tell that if I tried to ride aggressively it might inhibit some required sliding around. Seems like a worthy trade-off, considering what the suit is intended for.

The suit fits quite well over my t-shirt and jeans work attire. I wear sport-riding boots and it goes around them without too much trouble. Getting into the suit is pretty easy and I've gotten the hang of it. I do have to put my right boot on towards the end, however, since it won't fit through the leg hole.

The biggest and most concerning issue I have, however, is with the knee armor. I really cannot get it to stay put. It doesn't migrate up and down, but rather side to side. I presume this is because there is nothing to fix the knee pads in this respect. The internal velcro keeps them from moving up and down, but as I go through the riding motions (foot down at stop light, get on/off bike, etc), the pads shift to the outside, leaving my knees mostly exposed. I think this would be easily fixed with much wider and deeper (more cupped) knee armor, or by narrowing the knee armor pockets. I am going to look into fitting some motocross knee pads, perhaps. I have a spare set that I could perhaps cut the knee portion off of. Now...I might figure this issue out, but I think that this much effort shouldn't really be necessary to keep the pads in place.

Final thoughts include props for the armpit zippers, and for the front pockets with vertical zippers that make getting into them much easier. Rain hood is also very cool, but maybe too grippy of a material? I think my helmet pads get pushed up when I put my helmet on with the hood over my head. And if anyone has suggestions about how to get the most out of this suit, please let me know!

The end!

jetli626 screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 12:38 PM
jetli626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #996
gregneedham
I seem to fall often

Oddometer: 854
Bravo

Got my Lombard today and immediately went out for a 200+ mile ride.

First, customer service is outstanding. A day after I ordered my suit online, I got a call and was told my color (grey) was in a truck for a show and it would be delayed a couple of days. I was offered a black suit instead, but decided to stick with my original order. Today when the suit arrived, there was a $15 Starbucks card in the box, with a note thanking me for being patient.

Quick one-ride review: Size XL Lombard.

Suit fits perfectly. I mean perfectly. I am 5'10", weigh 220, currently wear 38 waist. The length of the legs is great, maybe a couple of inches long without boots on, but on the bike, perfect. Knee armor right where it should be, no shifting.

I was able to get in and out no problem. Even with my boots on, which are Alpinestar Tech 8's, and they are a pretty beefy boot. Pant legs zip right over them, no problem. The full length zipper and half-leg zipper seem especially strong. Time will tell.

With wrist zipper undone and my arms hanging straight down, the edge of the sleeve comes to the middle of my fingers. On the bike, perfect length. Overall, very comfortable to have on. Torso length, shoulders, etc. all seem made for my body type. I can supply detailed measurements for anyone who wants more detail to get an idea of how the sizing fits.

Overall quality looks very good. Completely comparable to the other major brands. Good quality zippers, stitching, fit and finish. Very happy with the first impression of the quality.

Great armor, in the right places. As with any "loose" suit, it can shift around, but not too bad and seems the same as other suits I have worn. Everything lines up perfectly with my body proportions.

Pockets are everywhere, and I like them all. Chest pockets very useful and good size. Super easy to get in and out of. I had money and cards in the two waist-level pockets and again, good size and easy to use. Love the pocket on the arm. Fairly roomy, a bit tough to get to, but while coming home as it was getting dark, it was a perfect place for my sunglasses.

Adjustments seem to work well. I am about 20-30 lbs overweight and it looks like there is plenty of velcro on the waist to take in when/if I shrink. The wrist closures work very well and the gauntlet on my gloves fit right over the suit. I wear Held Steve gloves.

Rubber material on the butt is fine, if a bit sticky. Didn't seem to bother me today, either on road or off.

Today was 82 degrees and sunny, probably closer to 90 in the sun with moderate humidity. I had all the vents open and they worked really well. Not as cool as my mesh gear, but probably cooler than I had expected. The only area that was a problem was my lower back and when I got home I discovered two more vents on each side of the lower back that I hadn't seen and weren't open. 5 stars for all the vents....2 on the shoulders, one long vent on each sleeve, 2 mid-chest, underarms and 2 on each side of the lower back, 2 on each thigh.

So far I am extremely pleased. Over time, the quality of the suit will be measured by how well the stitching holds up and how well the rubber butt wears. Those are the two areas I will be watching. Also, the pull tabs on the zippers look a little weak, but that is an easy fix.

Obviously no rain yet, but it does look like it will be resistant, but not dry. The zippers look vunerable to water penetrating.

Everything I was hoping for in a suit costing $300 seem to have been realized. I can't seen any faults yet. Well done to the Teiz team.

My 640 Adventure blog
My 1150 GS blog (retired)
Memphis to Moab - TAT 09 Blog
designkeywest.com
gregneedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #997
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
thanks

a big thanks to everyone who came out to the shows. we drove 8000 miles in 5 weeks just so that you guys could seem them in person..
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #998
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,871
pocket update

After living with it for a little while now, I ready to give my $.02 on the pockets.

The front chest pockets could use a larger opening, but all in all are well placed and big enough to carry my cell phone, wallet, and a few other soft odds and ends without printing though on the bike. I love the back pocket! I've been using it to carry my work shoes, perfect size for it, and I can see it being a good size to carry liners, etc.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #999
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
In the next few days, I will try to post pictures of my high-viz orange suit next to my high-viz Olympia Phantom suit for comparison.
Thanks MillCreel, looking forward to the pics.

Teizms,

I'm 6'2'' 225 lbs. I wear a 17.5 x 36 dress shirt, 38 waist 32-33 inseam on pants. Jackets are usually 50/60 or XL. What size would you recomend and what do you have in stock?

Thanks
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #1000
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2
Thanks MillCreel, looking forward to the pics.

Teizms,

I'm 6'2'' 225 lbs. I wear a 17.5 x 36 dress shirt, 38 waist 32-33 inseam on pants. Jackets are usually 50/60 or XL. What size would you recomend and what do you have in stock?

Thanks
Hi,
I did not understand your chest size. Is it is 60 euro and 50 US?
If that is the case then the size i recommend is 4XL because anything smaller would be too tight.
thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #1001
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

so what does everyone want for christmas
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #1002
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
A black Alcatraz with waterproof treatment and TFL cool treatment. And underkill wants a Lombard that fits her

Speaking of which, how are the ladies sized suits coming along?
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #1003
keg0900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
me i want Fedex to drop off my dang suit that i ordered, instead of putting stickers on my front door.

www.thunderroadsalabama.com
keg0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1004
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Christmas

Those new leather jackets are very nice....if only you had a bomber.
Happy Holidays Ghazi. And to the little woman. She seems pretty awesome.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #1005
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
A Ventura Jacket...with zip-in pants to match.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote