Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #121
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsman
It won't take long after they are out to get third party reviews. I'd bet it is pretty descent... I'm concerned about to many seams and widgets and zippers everywhere to break and or rip or wear out quickly.
I have a vented (not mesh) suit in my house, right now. I just received it so I haven't been able to take any rides with it on - there were snow flurries this morning, after all.

Very first impression: I like it. It's easy to get into, feels more substantial than I expected, looks good, and at least standing around outside and sitting on a bike outside it's plenty warm with the liner in. It's heavy, but I don't mean that in a bad way, more of a "this material isn't paper thin" kind of way. As was already said, the knee pucks ARE removable for those concerned.

If I see any questions I can answer now, I will, otherwise people will have to wait for me to wear it a bit. I plan on giving it a good test - cold, rain, etc. Hopefully no crash tests, though.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #122
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
Found this thread today and am very impressed.
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #123
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmetzger
I have a vented (not mesh) suit in my house, right now. I just received it so I haven't been able to take any rides with it on - there were snow flurries this morning, after all.

Very first impression: I like it. It's easy to get into, feels more substantial than I expected, looks good, and at least standing around outside and sitting on a bike outside it's plenty warm with the liner in. It's heavy, but I don't mean that in a bad way, more of a "this material isn't paper thin" kind of way. As was already said, the knee pucks ARE removable for those concerned.

If I see any questions I can answer now, I will, otherwise people will have to wait for me to wear it a bit. I plan on giving it a good test - cold, rain, etc. Hopefully no crash tests, though.
Can you take lots of pics (close ups, etc) and post them?
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #124
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Direct sale vs. dealer -

The price of this suit is very low, but it doesn't necessarily mean that great corners have been cut on the product. Most retail products are marked up from 2.5 to 5 times between manufacturer and buyer. Shipping Selling direct means no dealer or distributor mark ups, which are usually 40-50+% of retail price. I often see dealers selling gear at 50% off list price in a clearance. I do not think they are losing on every item. Just last week a BMW dealer was selling Santiago jackets that list for $575 at $200 on Ebay. Another dealer has them for $309.99 today. The distributor and dealer have cut, but not eliminated, their shares.

Production costs are largely labor and in Pakistan that is relatively cheap, at least compared to the US, Japan, or western Europe. Most materials are surprisingly inexpensive. Cordura 600 is about $15 a yard. If that sounds cheap, 600 denier polyester can be found for less than $4, possibly explaining why some manufacturers use it even though the strength and abrasion characteristics are inferior. Quality Kevlar fabrics like Keprotec are around $60 a yard (which probably explains much of Motoport's high price, despite direct marketing).

Teizms have cut marketing costs by using the internet instead of print ads. There isn't a big warehouse or headquarters, just a small receiving/shipping location. The company is obviously doing everything they can to keep their overheads and markups at a minimum to build market share.

Once the product is established prices will probably rise. I'm sure they want to make money but have decided to put off making a lot. Seems like a smart approach. If the quality and product support are there forums like this will do their advertising. The first couple batches of suits to hit the market, and how the company deals with problems (because there are problems with every product) will do a lot to tell us how good the products are going to be.

If they had tall sizes I would take a chance on a bargain priced suit with these features and a company that is working so hard to communicate directly and openly. Since they don't, at least yet, I'll just be kibitzing from the sidelines for now.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #125
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 752
I'm impressed that the guy is here putting himself "out there " in front of all the ff's and answering questions and defending his product.
Many had the same reluctance to the Olympia Phantom saying "it's not as good as an Aerostich"
Well, I have one [oly] and in some ways, it's not as good as a 'stich, but in other ways , it's better [venting ,value of included liner and lower price, for example]
I have thought about getting a mesh suit, Olympia now makes one, but I will most definately look at this new one very seriously before buying.
At this price point, one could get a good level of protection for a spouse or child that is an occasional passenger that would otherwise be hard to justify big $ for other gear.[no flames please, my wife rarely rides with me and doesn't want to spend $ on gear she rarely uses]
dcwn.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #126
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsman
Can you take lots of pics (close ups, etc) and post them?
I'll see what I can do. Anything specific you want a shot of? I figure vents, seams, zippers, etc...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #127
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwn.45
I'm impressed that the guy is here putting himself "out there " in front of all the ff's and answering questions and defending his product.
He's also being straight with us about what to expect in terms of performance, waterproofness, etc. Additionally, I like the fact he told us that they're only putting on certain features on certain suits and pricing them such that they hope you'll buy one of each. That kind of transparency is rare in the marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwn.45
I have thought about getting a mesh suit, Olympia now makes one, but I will most definately look at this new one very seriously before buying.
I'd avoid the Olympia mesh suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER6
I crashed in my Stealth suit over thankgiving with a low side at about 25mph. As I was cranked over in a right turn, my initial impact was along my outer lower leg/calf... this mesh area disintegrated and I got bad road rash on my calf. The rest of the suit faired just OK with some ripped seams on arm and right leg. I then rolled over my back and tumbled into a ditch (fun fun) and the rest of the suit performed well as far as armor on elbow, shoulder and back as I sustained no injury there.

In summary, flows great air but should you even think about hitting the pavement in any of the mesh areas consider yourself hosed! I will live with less airflow in my phantom to avoid any further skin graft injuries like this one... common sense if you think about it as that is the trade off... Air flow for protection.

I loved the suit upright... thought it marginal in a slow speed fall!

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #128
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
I'll see what I can do. Anything specific you want a shot of? I figure vents, seams, zippers, etc...
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #129
ABQTJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Nice looking suit!

Anything on a warranty?
ABQTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #130
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Since the maker of this suit is involved in this thread, it's time we move this one to Vendors.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #131
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
I have a vented (not mesh) suit in my house, right now.

Gosh, I hate to belabor the point, but re: the knee sliders, once one removes them, does that leave a patch if exposed fuzzy velcro? Assuming so, is there a covering piece of cordura that comes with it to patch on to that? I'm pretty confident I will never need knee sliders. An extra patch of knee material? I am pretty confident I will need something like that (again)at some point
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #132
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Gosh, I hate to belabor the point, but re: the knee sliders, once one removes them, does that leave a patch if exposed fuzzy velcro? Assuming so, is there a covering piece of cordura that comes with it to patch on to that? I'm pretty confident I will never need knee sliders. An extra patch of knee material? I am pretty confident I will need something like that (again)at some point
Yes that is coming in the near future.. At this point i am not sure if it will be included in the price of the suit.

current owners will be able to order it separately.

I will be responding to the rest of the questions later today

thanks

teizms screwed with this post 03-12-2009 at 02:07 PM
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #133
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
Yes that is coming in the near future.. At this point i am not sure if it will be included in the price of the suit.

current owners will be able to order it separately.

I will be responding to the rest of the questions later today

thanks
If that is included in the price of the suit, I am very interested. I know you can take the pucks off, but it still leave the ugly velcro behind. A cover would solve that problem (for me anyway) AND have the added benefit of a little more protection in the knee area.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #134
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Ohh, as a college student, this is something I can get when I start commuting at my real job, without spending my first *many* paychecks to pay for. Bookmarked and noted.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #135
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,443
We have a seemstress at work who sews HEAVY canvas,I asked if she would sew me a patch for the knees out of some VERY reflective material with velcro on it.She said no problem.So I will do that when I get mine.( never can have to much reflective on a suit)
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote