Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #301
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
I've got a set of Heidenau K60's waiting to be mounted for my trip up the continental divide this summer on my F800. Now that I see the Mitas E09 I kinda like the more aggressive tread pattern. Hmmm... Anybody out there able to compare the K60s and the Mitas? I ran TKCs last summer on my 1150GS and liked them but they just wore too darn fast.

Mitas E09 with around 6000km on it, a lot of fire trail riding with pillion at 40psi. I commuted on it.

K60 scout at 9000km. same tread depth at centre line (or as close to as I could measure) same scenario, a lot of dirt roads, fire trails and some heavy highway use. Pillion throughout. I also commuted on it. Pressures at 40psi.

The Mitas feels similar to the K60 under most on road conditions. It's not horribly slippery, I've ridden with far worse. It's no race slick, but like the K60, if you remember what you're riding on you'll be fine.

Off road, chalk and cheese. The E09 drives and brakes much better in all terrain types. Greasy clay it drives and brakes well, but a tight turn with too much lean sees the back end just shoot sideways. Because the knobs are arranged in bar pattern they have little resistance to a sideways movement.

I don't like the Mitas E09 front. I ditched it in favour of a Dunlop D952. Hooks up really good. Wears really bad.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #302
ned
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi, did not read all the post, here my Karoo T at 800km eight hundred km...

Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #303
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 579
Just did a ride from FL to TX and back, around 2400 miles, super slabbed it 80-85mph to get out and back. Gotta say the E-09 holds up but does wear. Fun to slide in the hills of TX traction control would kick in on about every corner when leaned over a bit. The E-09 and TKC combo worked well, super loud though.
(pic is with over 4,000 miles on the tires)

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #304
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post

You must really ride like a maniac!

The last Karoo T took me over 4000Km to look like yours, with lot's of tarmac.
Although the centre blocks are almost gone, it seems there's no wear on the side blocks, is it possible you'r over-inflating them?

I'm currently using KAROO/E-09 (rear/back) and it's by far the best combo i mounted for sand riding, it's a whole new bike
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #305
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Reference tyre wear - under or over inflation

if the knobs wear like this:

They are under inflated.

Tread "squirm" is causing the knobs to "flick" as the load comes off them.

Unusual to see it on something with knobs the size of the TKC though.

Just remember, when people talk about "airing down" tyres and mention trail bike pressures below 20 psi, they are talking about tyres on bikes that are HALF the weight of a GS.

This makes a big difference.

The Mitas tyre guy was on here somewhere and he said don't run the E09 below 33psi. I took that to heart and I haven't had wear issues with the Mitas tyres since.

Yeah, you can scavenge a tiny bit of traction at lower pressures...wear rates don't support it on a $/km ratio.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #306
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
throttle issues

I have had similar problems with wear on TKC 80 and Karoo because I love to spin the rear wheel on gravel. My last TKC had about 1100 miles and was fairly well finished.

I now run 130/80 18" T63 which can be had for around $70 apiece. I did have to rebuild my rear wheel to 18" though. I don't get any more miles out of them but they are about 1/3 the price of either TKC or Karoo. And better traction in my opinion. For longer trips Ill run dunlop 908RR 140/80 18' or Michelin Desert Race 140/80 18"
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #307
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post

nice chain
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #308
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
from tmex post sounds he's using those on his 800gs.
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22015

pay attention to this:
"...i warned you... wet asphalt is like ice with mitas, so be careful...

Rest is ok."

makes sense if it's a long wearing tire.

have read reports of 140-17" (mefo explorers) used on stroms which also spec a 150 -17" tire
It mounts no problem, ABS works no problem and if it's like riding on ice then your roads must be made from something different to ours. I rode with them through winter on icy roads and they aren't that bad. One of the wettest winters for a long time too.

If you can't understand how a knobbie is gunna play on the back of a big bike, you probably shouldn't buy one. The big bike that is...or the knobbie for that matter.

For wet grip Mitas, I think, is better than the K60. The K60 isn't too bad. But it aint a sports bike tyre.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #309
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I've read a lot of this thread but haven't seen ( I'm sure it's here somewhere) if anyone is running the 150/70/17 e09 or e07 Tubeless.... With a tube. I'm ready to order the tire but I've never run a tubeless tire with a tube. I don't see where it would matter but it must if there are tube/tubeless tires.

I'm also thinking about running a HD tube but have heard that they tend to heat up at highway speeds.

Any advice would be appreciated... Thx
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #310
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Both sets of these were TL tires that I ran with a tube.
I keep pressures up to 35-40psi on pavement which makes them last longer.
I got over 5000K on the E10/E09 and over 10000K on the E07's

Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #311
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Thanks Kelsow, looks like I'm going with the 07 rear. Looking forward to putting them on. Thx
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #312
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Tonk (and Kelsow),

With the E07 rear, what are you putting on the front?

And how do you think that compares with the TKC80's? I'm on my first set of tires (TKC80) on my new F800GS and I'm very pleasantly surprised about how well they handle on pavement, even wet pavement. I expected a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Thanks Kelsow, looks like I'm going with the 07 rear. Looking forward to putting them on. Thx
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #313
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
I, like many others, burnt through a couple of TKC 80s quite quickly. I tried a K60 rear over the weekend in the high country of Victoria. About 50km of tar in, then about 350km of dirt, then about 150km of tar out. 2 days of riding, raining the first day, sunny the second.

I wont be buying one again. On dry bitumen, the traction control kicks in whenever I grab a full hand full of throttle. On wet bitumen, I was crying like a baby. On red clay it was lethal. On gravel it was pretty good. On loose gravel (marbles) I washed out on every corner. When I tried the traction control on the dirt I almost couldnt get up hills.

So, my question....regardless of wear, what is the BEST off road tyre for the F800GS?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #314
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

I was planning on running a TKC 80 front with the e09 rear. Another member mentioned the IRC TR8 as a great front. Virtually the same front as the TKC but at half the price. I looked into it and it looks like a great option. I've decided to go with the e07 rear over the e09. I'd like to think ill be on nothing but dirt all season but in reality, it's not going to happen. The e07 looks like a good compromise on the back end. I can't justify a knobby as aggressive as the e09 for the type of riding I'll be doing.

Long story short.... IRC TR8 up front and the Mitas e07 in back. (IRC's are back ordered everywhere I can find selling them but I hope to grab one soon)

Oh, and sorry to crash the BMW forum but they're going on an 800xc.

I certainly appreciate all the info and knowledge from the BMW guys... Thx
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #315
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
I'm running an E10 on the front with the E07 in the back:

I have run a TKC in the front with the K60 (140) and an E09 in the rear. The TKC is good...but...it has a very soft casing (I usually will hit something hard) and I wanted something just a bit more open too. Hence the E10.

It hits all those marks and so far I'm very happy with the combo. 2000kms and the E07 is wearing very well and the E10 has barely any wear. I do take it easy on the front brake with knobbies so I don't ramp 'em. Cornering wise I have scrubbed them right over too the very last row of "pricklies" which is very far over...it's a round tire. TKC's were scrubbed right over the edge easy...they are more square.

Wet pavement traction has been very good. Predictable too.

I ran the E09 mostly with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally last year and I was happy with that combo for dirt but I took 'em off to save them from all the pavement over the Fall/Winter.

I'm keen to try the E10 in the back next.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote