User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
motocyco OP
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
BMW R60/6 tug?

I've got a '75 R60/6 in the garage and my wife thinks that she would like a sidecar much better than riding pillion. So, I'm thinking about buying a chair that is for sale locally (Velorex 565), and mounting it to the /6, with plans for an upgrade to the tug if it all pans out, .

We would not travel very far nor fast. I like to cruise backroads at no more than 55-60 mph and we might travel four hours a day. Most likely trips would be into town for church or dinner, four to six hour "day trips," or a weekend destination just a few hours away.

Anyone see any problems with this?

I ask becuase I've seen posts that concern/confuse me. There has been mention that the 650 Urals are seriously underpowered, and then posts that the original CJs had 22 hp as if that was plenty.

Thanks

motocyco screwed with this post 02-16-2009 at 12:19 PM
motocyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,471
It will work and has been done. Transplanting a larger engine later on is a simple option. I'd say go for it if you understand the limitations.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
carlaking
Miss Adventuring

Oddometer: 49
Ural / CJ - low hp bikes pulling sidecars for decades

I've ridden various versions and they work just fine. If you want details and lots of help during the process join the yahoo group for sidecarists http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/
Carla
carlaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
It can be done, and as long as you're not it a hurry, the 600 engine works fine. Heck, most /2s pulling heavy sidecars are 600s.

You might look into frame reinforcement though.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
motocyco OP
nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTM

You might look into frame reinforcement though.
That is the same suggestion that other internet searches have turned up. Some say to only use a /2 or /7, while other recommend the Dauntless sub-frame for the /5 and /6.

Crusing at 60 mph is not a limit for me. I rarely exceed that in any vehicle; life's too short to rush through it. I'm more concerned now with the frame limitations.

The guy at the shop told me $3500 installed on my R60. He was closing shop, so I forgot to ask him which mounting kit/sub-frame he would use. I'm also not sure how old the Velorex is. It's hooked to an '08 Honda Aero right now; and doesn't look to be more than a year or two old.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocyco
That is the same suggestion that other internet searches have turned up. Some say to only use a /2 or /7, while other recommend the Dauntless sub-frame for the /5 and /6.

Crusing at 60 mph is not a limit for me. I rarely exceed that in any vehicle; life's too short to rush through it. I'm more concerned now with the frame limitations.

The guy at the shop told me $3500 installed on my R60. He was closing shop, so I forgot to ask him which mounting kit/sub-frame he would use. I'm also not sure how old the Velorex is. It's hooked to an '08 Honda Aero right now; and doesn't look to be more than a year or two old.
Another option is to use a /2 frame and put the /6 engine and electricals and all on it. That makes a really nice rig with electric start!
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
As mentioned in another thread here, the Velorex was made for smaller bikes, so as long as you're not in a hurry, I say go for it. Depending on year of manufacture, I believe you may want to replace the axle. I don't remember why- I just remember reading about that several times. Dauntless AND Claude can advise you on sub-frames. I'd talk to both sources and get an opinion.
Putting a newer engine in a /2 is going to be expensive and it takes more than a weekend to do. They're ideal, but sounds like you'd be happy with what you have.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
boxertricks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I ran a 60/6 engine in my 64 R60 for five or six years with very few problems, and that was with a Watsonian Palma child adult sidecar fitted. It took us all over Europe on camping holidays and coped well with it. It could suffer a bit of pinking on occasion but it never came to any harm. I run the same bike fitted with a 1000cc engine but I wouldn't hesitate to refit the 600 engine if the big one gave any trouble.
boxertricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
As mentioned in another thread here, the Velorex was made for smaller bikes, so as long as you're not in a hurry, I say go for it. Depending on year of manufacture, I believe you may want to replace the axle. I don't remember why- I just remember reading about that several times. Dauntless AND Claude can advise you on sub-frames. I'd talk to both sources and get an opinion.
Putting a newer engine in a /2 is going to be expensive and it takes more than a weekend to do. They're ideal, but sounds like you'd be happy with what you have.
Unc Ernie,
It aint a /2 it is an R60/5...BIG DIFFERENCE. I think jugs and pistons are th emain things to change.
Subframe is surely recomended. Dauntless shoudl have them in stock or we can get one for you. Some will possibly argue the point (Like: " I been runnin a 500 pound sidecar on a /5 for 30 years all uphgill and off road all over the world and it has had no problems with the frame .." yadda yadda ) but ...but...but..trust me...the possibilty of frame failures on the post /2 airheads is not worth taking the chance.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Unc Ernie,
It aint a /2 it is an R60/5...BIG DIFFERENCE. I think jugs and pistons are th emain things to change.
Subframe is surely recomended. Dauntless shoudl have them in stock or we can get one for you. Some will possibly argue the point (Like: " I been runnin a 500 pound sidecar on a /5 for 30 years all uphgill and off road all over the world and it has had no problems with the frame .." yadda yadda ) but ...but...but..trust me...the possibilty of frame failures on the post /2 airheads is not worth taking the chance.
Jugs, Pistons, Heads and Carbs and most important...The CAM must be changed. Trust me on this one. Same grind for R75/80/90/100
Different grind used on R50/60.
Besides definitely needing a sub-frame, you'll want to do something to the front end. Be it a Ural or other leading link front end, or a set of the Dauntless triple clamp offsets, you gotta reduce the trail or that sucker will wear you out trying to steer it.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
motocyco OP
nOOb

That's a lot of work just to try it out and see if she actually likes the sidecar as much as she did the day of the test ride. All these upgrades for a temporary arrangement, and the 10.5% loan rate, have talked me into another direction. I think I'll look to trade the Harley for a more suitable tug, and then look for another chair, one meant for a larger motorcycle. Or maybe find a Ural and add a windscreen to the chair for her comfort.

Thanks for all the information.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,188
or you could stick with your original plan, using Dauntless mounts or something equally stout. The performance should be very similar to a Ural 650-fun below 55mph, possible to flog a bit more out of under ideal circumstances. Relatively low initial cost since you already have the BMW.

If you both love it, you can always upgrade the bike and/or sidecar, selling what you no longer need.

If not, you should be able to get what you have into the sidecar back on fleabay and at least a portion of the cost of your mounts as well.{edit} you won't get $3000 for an old Velorex and mounts on fleabay. You will assume some of that is installation cost. You will get at least half that back if you sell it, tho sometimes it takes some time to sell....

The smaller BMWs are not ideal tugs, but for what you are talking about perfectly adequate. It is unrealistic to expect the perfect rig your first time out. No need to do all of the upgrades at once. You don't need to do a bunch of engine mods if you aren't flogging it and the bike is in good shape and while front end modifications do make sidecars easier and more pleasant to drive, you sure don't need to do that before driving it and you may decide you don't need to do it at all. Get your toes wet, let your percieved needs and desires evolve and upgrade as you go, letting your acquired experience be your guide.

RedMenace screwed with this post 02-19-2009 at 11:28 AM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
Thumb

Buy a 2005 or newer Ural retro and be done with it --you'll probably end up sellin the BMW----22800kms on mine --this will be 2nd year of touring with it--can't stay off the damn thing,it's become the bike of choice whether runnin erands or taking trips
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
motocyco OP
nOOb

The BMW is currently my favorite solo bike. There's little chace of selling it any time soon.

But I've got another idea. I'm going to look into trading my Dyna Wide Glide for a Road King. The Road King would make a much better tug than the Wide Glide. Plus, if the sidecar doesn't work out for her, then I can turn it into a two-wheeled touring machine by adding a removable tour pack and fairing. Ever since I bought the R60 I've regreted the fact that I sold the Electra Glide (two years earlier). The Electra Glide was her favorite.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
My R60/6 was one of my all time favorite bikes.
The gearing would be right for a sidecar duty.
As long as you're not in a hurry or too demanding from the brakes you'd be ok.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote