User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
North6633 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
No paint mark on new tires to set on valve stem

I have a new set of Avon Gripsters and as I am preparing to install them I have noticed there is no paint mark to indicate where the tire should be centered on teh valve stem. any one else run into this does it matter. Will I just ahve to get the tires balanced? I guess that is the case if I develope and strange wobbles that weren't there before. Just wondering if I am missing something

Any thoughts are appreciated.
North6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,636
I have helped install several sets of Avons lately and none of them have been marked....they will still balance, but the amount of weight may not be acceptable. In which case a simple remount and rotating the tire will make it easier.

BTW there have been times when I did not balance tire after install at all and could tell no ill effects.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by North6633
I have a new set of Avon Gripsters and as I am preparing to install them I have noticed there is no paint mark to indicate where the tire should be centered on teh valve stem. any one else run into this does it matter. Will I just ahve to get the tires balanced? I guess that is the case if I develope and strange wobbles that weren't there before. Just wondering if I am missing something

Any thoughts are appreciated.
By and large, the paint mark is a feature of Japanese tires: even on J-tires (Bridegestone, Dunlop, IRC), the paint mark merely indicates the "light" spot of the tire and you still have to balance for speed.

mully