User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
fjrat OP
Adopted Welsh Boy

Oddometer: 13
Hack tyre - UK question

In the process of building my hack I have a question for the UK contingent.

Has anyone used a car spacesaver tyre on their rig? and if so any problem with the MOT.

As I'm using an FJ11 wheel on mine, a 16" spacesaver will slide on there no problem.

Ta guys
fjrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Oldenough2knowbetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I looked at fitting one on my chair this weekend, as my mate found one by the side of the road that had fallen off a car, complete with toolkit and jack. This one was on a 15" rim but the pcd was different so wouldn't go on. However, the tyre was stamped '50mph max' so for this reason I can't see it getting through an MOT. It was brand new but as it was designed as an emergency tyre it didn't have very deep tread.
Maybe not all spacesaver tyres are restricted to 50 mph but I think that would be unlikely as under normal circumstances you cannot mix tyre widths on the same axle, the spacesaver being the result of some corporate palm greasing , i suspect.

Adge

KZ1100/Velorex Hybrid
Oldenough2knowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
fjrat OP
Adopted Welsh Boy

Oddometer: 13
Having read the MOT site, it doesn't appear to be an MOT failure point.

At best I can only see it would be an advisory due to speed rating.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_410.htm
I've trail fitted one onto an FJ11 wheel, looks like it was made for it.

As for the corporate grease palming, spacesavers aren't generally available at kwik-fit etc - dealer only part. Someone's laughing all the way to the bank.
fjrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,475
A retal car has a flat tire in Pa.. It is on it's way from New York to L.A.. The little spare is put on and th ecar runs all the way to L.A.. 50mph maximum speed? Ever think about how much stress is on that little tire? (not to mention the differential but that is another story).
Point is those little buggers are pretty tough. Will they pass inspection? Not if the guy sees what they are. Will they hold up on the sidecar wheel? You choose. It has been done! ALL disclaimers apply..your call.
P.S. Many if not most rental car companies take th emini spares out of the cars for reasons related to the above scenario.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Cry

Issues about acceptability can be open to interpretation, sometimes when fitting car tyres to outfits. Some years back the rarity factor in the UK meant some MOT testers could raise an eyebrow, or two. They felt reassured if they could spot something recognisable such as rating codes on the tyrewall. I'd tend to bear that in mind.

The scenario for me would be a post accident damage situation with an insurance company. Knowing they do their darndest to avoid paying out, would you be happy if they rescinded your cover because you had a restricted tyre fitted ? Spacesaver tyres have stated and well recognised limitations, so beware.
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote