User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Hyosung GT650 opinions

figured since there is minimal info on this bike here figured I would check what the opinion is of these things. I am getting one for a steel (demo 2006 naked for 4250 with 1 1/2 year warranty when sv650 second hand 2003 models are going for 4k in my area), and looking the bike over it looks very sounds. but hey I am VERY green to biking so always nice to see what peoples opinions and thoughts on them are. I think like the sv650 its a decent starter bike that you will not get bored of fast and ca be used for some touring as it has a more upright seating position (naked version), its no BMW or Goldwing touring bike but enough to get me started for a few trips. So hey lets see what people think of these suckers

O and ya hi new to forums, been recommended to come here, I am In Canada, always loved motorcycles but only now got the cash to try it all out.
GT_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Claim Jumper
will work for knobbies

Oddometer: 520
I have looked Hyosungs over and have read positive reviews about them. For me I would look into dealer support (are they near, have they been in buisness long-do they also sell POS chinese scooters?). An SV 650 is a great bike with a long production history, good dealer network, good aftermarket support. Frankly I would be looking for an even better deal than that as the SV is definitely a better bike, although I do like the styling of the Hyosung. The Suzuki will definitely hold its value better if/when you decide to move on (although I think most riders would be better served with an SV than something larger). Have fun...
Claim Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I echo what the other gentleman said about dealer support. If the guy you are buying from has been in business a while, I wouldn't worry too much about it; yet, if he's new or sketchy at all, be really, really cautious. I can say this, however, a Hyosung GV250 cruiser was the first bike I bought upon returning to riding a couple of years ago. When compared with other bikes I have owned since then, man, that thing was rock solid dependable. Japanese even.
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
The dealer support is somewhat questionable but the bikes are pretty solid. I rode the living crap out of a GT250 for a while, never had a single issue. I didn't have a dealer near by so I got filters and other consumables from a Canadian living in S. Korea http://www.richardhyosunggvgt.com/ He gets stuff cheaper and faster than you'll ever get it from a dealer.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
There is always "that guy" that says these bikes are crap. I've heard two horror stories, directly from owners, about engines locking up in the GT650R. I've seen a few, and they feel cheap.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Also they are very deceptive in their advertising...

I think they used Formula-1 engine sound for this commercial!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
There is always "that guy" that says these bikes are crap. I've heard two horror stories, directly from owners, about engines locking up in the GT650R. I've seen a few, and they feel cheap.
Dude, what are you comparing them to, a Speed Triple ? Of course they are going to feel cheap in that regard. The Guzzi I used to own felt quality and was to a degree, but it took a rich man to keep her on the road. I think I had to invest money for oil with the Hyosung and that was about it. I sat on a Versys, no offense to Versys owners, and it felt cheap too, but hey it's a budget motorcycle what do you want, Ohlins? And if you do actually have a dealer nearby who is not questionable then I think it's fine. And I'm sorry about those owners and their bikes, but every bike has horror stories of some kind. I was a member of the largest hyosung forum and I owned one of the bikes for several thousand miles. Most owners are very satisfied with the bikes and I do know that mine was more dependable than any of the bikes I owned.
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

well in the 2005 model and early 2006 there was a engine flaw but looks like the 2006 model I am getting is outside the vin range. Basically they would through a valve and if under warranty you get new engine. Besides that rear shock is nothing to write home about and soem have commented the blinker switch and such are not the best and may end up needing to be replaced. But if I am out of the bad engine range they sound to have good engines. There quality is not sv650 but its not cheep from what I can tell.

also remember these guys actuality have/had a partnership and make bikes/parts for suzuki including the sv650 engine's. So they do have a clue at least.

as for dealers there is at least 2 in my area, Toronto area so hey should not be to bad. Being in large centers can have advantages and the guy I am getting it from the shop seams decent. Now mind you I don't think this is a high end omg bike and such but a good one to learn on and have fun with. Rather drop this then a triumph scrambler I just drool over lol
Old 02-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Why buy a copy when the SV is only a little more and has an established dealer network? The Hyosung may be a perfectly good bike, there just isn't a really good reason to find out if you have a Suzuki dealer within a hundred miles.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow
Why buy a copy when the SV is only a little more and has an established dealer network? The Hyosung may be a perfectly good bike, there just isn't a really good reason to find out if you have a Suzuki dealer within a hundred miles.
Because I want to have another reliable option to add to the 4 from japan.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow
i would like to point you to a review, they go out of there way to say its not a copy and its not a copy of the sv650. sv650 is more refined I agree but um look and you can get STEELs on pricing like me on these things making them way cheaper the even second hand sv650's. IE my bike is 4250$ with over year warrenty while my area sv540's 2003 year got for 4000 second hand.

http://www.2wf.com/content/view/1662/28/1/0/

but hey this thread is for opinions on the bike not comparisons to the sv650, its in the same class as the sv650 but its not a sv650 that's good enough. Lets keep on the idea of opinions of the bike.

GT_Hawk screwed with this post 02-18-2009 at 10:37 AM
Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Hyousung

My personal opinion is you get what you pay for. If you just want something economical that looks decent, it is probably fine. Although I would make sure you have dealer support if you buy. Yeah, it feels a little cheap, but so did both of the Bandits I owned, but they turned out to be great bikes for what I needed them to do. That being said, I know that a few of my friends have picked up used SV's sold them after about a year of owning them for pretty close to what they paid. Probably not going to happen with the Hyousung. But if you plan on keeping it for a while that doesn't matter so much.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Keep in mind GTHawk, the opinions you will get here and at most forums are those of people who've never owned one. So take them accordingly.

For the price the SV650 isn't comparible. I don't care what the MSRP is, the fact is you can buy a showroom new GT650 for significantly less than MSRP putting it a good $1000-$2000 below the SV650.

Performance is on par with the SV650. Suspension isn't the greatest but neither is the SV650's. It sucks just as much in stock form.

The stock brakes and pads suck. Guess what so do the SV650's. Both easily improved with some stainless lines and new pads.

The carb'd GT650 has almost the identical power output as the FI SV650. Again I don't care what the tech specs say, I'm going by what i've seen with my own eyes on the dyno.

The valve dropping issue is identical to that seen by some late 90's CBR's. A not so great batch of valves combined with a air injection system to decrease emissions resulted in a few dozen grenaded engines. Shit happens to all bikes. How many BMW rear drives have exploded???

For a good price you can't go wrong. It's as solid and dependable as the Japanese offerings but built to a lower price point short changing the finishing details of the bike, ie paint quality plastics etc.

Oh and I currently ride a Suzuki so I'm not a deranged Hyosung owner who thinks his GT650 is as good as a YZF-R6
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
don't care
I really don't

Oddometer: 178
The Dealership I was at took on Hyosung in 04'. Not bad but not Jap quality. We got in the 250's right away and sold them all. One racked up some milage quick. Minor problems were plenty for a while. We had 3 or 4 come to a stop and the master wouldn't release pressure to the front calipers. Poorly machined master replaced under warranty. Some rear shocks blew there seals along with the front forks. Paint scratched very easily. I remember parts being very cheap. A year later the owner dropped them. We never got our order of 650's, and that was the main reason for taking them on. Some areas of the country have strong UM (universal motors) dealers. They now import Hyosung models rebadged. You may want to check them out also.
don't care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

The dealer networks are definitely the sore spot on the whole affair.

And yes early models did have issues, most of which have been tweaked along the way. The naked 650 is interesting to me, and if the right deal popped around the corner it would be in the garage, if of course i had a garage...
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F