Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
Twitch
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I currently ride a Hyosung Avitar/UM V2C650s. I bought it through UM, thats United Motors, not universal motors. My first bike was a honda shadow that got rear ended. And I got the UM next because I got a really good price and financing on it. UM actually has a 3 year warranty instead of Hyosungs 2 years.

I think they make a good product at a decent price. HOWEVER, Hyosung is pulling out of America as a dealer network. They are going to build and sell through United motors from here on out. Thats what I have been hearing lately anyway. If you are really considering a Hyosung/UM, check out this site: WWW.alternativecruisers.com .

I doubt you will have any problems with this bike as long as you realize that the fit and finish is just not as good as one of the big bike builders.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,643
Only real bad thing i have heard was that their paint and finishes were not up to the Japanese standard, so i would keep it clean and you shouldnt have problems with that...
Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
I have no personal opinion (well, I do but I don't own a Hyosung so it isn't worth much) but I can point you to two sources: one is a forum for Hyosung owners at http://www.korider.com the other a large Australian forum where you'll find a lot of threads about these bikes because they've been available and sold in large numbers down here for a few years now: http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/index.php
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch
I think they make a good product at a decent price. HOWEVER, Hyosung is pulling out of America as a dealer network. They are going to build and sell through United motors from here on out. Thats what I have been hearing lately anyway. If you are really considering a Hyosung/UM, check out this site: WWW.alternativecruisers.com .
where did you hear they are pulling out as I have not seen it at all on the hyosung forum ( http://www.korider.com) at all.
GT_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
If trade values mean anything to you, I'll look at a used Suzuki over a newer Hyosung 8 days a week.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Hawk
also remember these guys actuality have/had a partnership and make bikes/parts for suzuki including the sv650 engine's. So they do have a clue at least.
I thought the whole "Hyosung builds the same motor for the SV650" was an internet myth that might have been part of their viral marketing when they brought the GT650 over?

Hyosung DOES NOT build the engine for the SV650, it's not the same engine as the GT650, the cases aren't even the same. They may supply some components, but thats like trusing somebody who builds dashboards for Chrysler to build an entire car.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Twitch
n00b

From what I understand, back in the early days of Suzuki, Hyosung built the engines for them in their factory. Nowadays though, I think a few components are supplied by Hyosung.

As far as them pulling out of the U.S. as a dealer network, check out the site I listed above. There is at least one person on the forum that is, or was, inside the organization. It all started last year when STI(?) bought out Hyosung, or something along those lines. I generally only pay attention to about half of what is said about Hyosung since I got my bike from UM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #23
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220

Hyosung DOES NOT build the engine for the SV650, it's not the same engine as the GT650, the cases aren't even the same. They may supply some components, but thats like trusing somebody who builds dashboards for Chrysler to build an entire car.

Period. Anyone who claims otherwise is a sucker. Hyosung builds cheap bikes for those who aren't willing to pay for the real deal. Anyone who claims they are the "same thing" will get REAMED here at ADV. Have any of you even seen an sv650 jug?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #24
Twitch
n00b

Im no cheapskate

Hey Yater, maybe calm it down with your general statements about people who buy Hyosungs. Just because someone wants something a little different doesnt make them a cheapskate. And unless someone does a ton of real research there are some hints that would lead you to believe that Hyosung *may* build the engines for some suzuki bikes. That doesnt mean they are morons for asking. Personally, I did my research before buying mine. I got mine because it is a solid bike that performs very well, a really good deal with a great warranty, and (most important) its not a G**Damm Harley Davidson, Hyabusa, or Ninja. I dont want to sound like a "fanboy" cause I really am not, I just like things to fair and even. I also am very sick of people hinting around or flat out saying that a bike is crap if its not from one of the big builders. Hell, at one point all the Japanese builders were small time with questionable build quality. I am glad that they realized they better step up if the wanted to be around for the long haul. Lets not forget about Harley Davidsons history during the 70's and 80's.

All Im saying is that there is no reason to generalize about folks who choose to ride something different, so lets just keep it light.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #25
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
Period. Anyone who claims otherwise is a sucker. Hyosung builds cheap bikes for those who aren't willing to pay for the real deal. Anyone who claims they are the "same thing" will get REAMED here at ADV. Have any of you even seen an sv650 jug?
Hyosung makes a lot of parts for suzuki period, but I in no way said its the same bike and i even provided a article that stresses the gt650 is a different bike. But suzuki and hyosing had a partner ship and to this day hyosing makes parts and even complete bikes for suzuki under the suzuki brand. The gt650 is its own machine. there are some parts thata re the same ie the carborator is same as the carborator form older sv650 and some other parts but hyosung is using same parts suppliers as again they make stuff for suzuki so they would have similer part suppliers. but you can find the same between other bikes so hey. It s asuzuki like bike same class and such but its like saying linux is a copy of unix, no its a unix like operating system and trust me there are loads of differences. Take the time read the article I posted its a great read before just spouting crap.

the gt650 is its own machine, but I would not call it a crap bike to be honest, it has been refined and is still being refined. Take hyundai and kia they have car of the year this year remember. And remember in northamerica the big 3 auto company ignored the japanease cars and now look at them they are getitng killed. Don't assume korean stuff is crap as right now they are making a killing with credible cars ignoring them and saying they are crap is what the big 3 said about japanease cars and look where that got them

its not to sv650 level I agree but hey I looked them over and was very impressed with the build quality hell there is a mill in my basement so I have a clue about build quality. so trust me don;t write them off as a cheap bike. for a first bike, getting one as cheep a s a older sv650 and having a warranty is a steel of a deal. ITs no OMG suzuki race bike but still a decent bike Am I a fanboy hell I am not a fanboy hell no but I got my facts straight. But you are helping me see many have a poor opinion of the korean brands which is sad as I stated this means in 10 years those same people will eat there words. I realy hope the japanease don't take that opinion that korean brand bikes are crap as they have been improving the design. and if they underestimate them they will have issues. Again not that long ago in north America suzuki, honda and such where names everyone thought where complete crap. Don't be that dumb

GT_Hawk screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 01:21 AM
Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #26
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch
Hey Yater, maybe calm it down with your general statements about people who buy Hyosungs. Just because someone wants something a little different doesnt make them a cheapskate. And unless someone does a ton of real research there are some hints that would lead you to believe that Hyosung *may* build the engines for some suzuki bikes. That doesnt mean they are morons for asking. Personally, I did my research before buying mine. I got mine because it is a solid bike that performs very well, a really good deal with a great warranty, and (most important) its not a G**Damm Harley Davidson, Hyabusa, or Ninja. I dont want to sound like a "fanboy" cause I really am not, I just like things to fair and even. I also am very sick of people hinting around or flat out saying that a bike is crap if its not from one of the big builders. Hell, at one point all the Japanese builders were small time with questionable build quality. I am glad that they realized they better step up if the wanted to be around for the long haul. Lets not forget about Harley Davidsons history during the 70's and 80's.

All Im saying is that there is no reason to generalize about folks who choose to ride something different, so lets just keep it light.
I don't have anything against Hyusongs. I've read decent reviews of them and the ones I've seen in person seem quality built.

That said...Their cruisers have their own particular look (a very Asian looking take on the V-ROD style), but I'm not sure how riding a copy of the Suzuki SV 650 made by a company that used to build engines for Suzuki gives you anything different or unique.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #27
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

again my good sir you never read the article I posted they go out of there way to say its not a sv650 copy. Taking your logic I can say a triumph is a copy of a harley Its a completely different engine, completely different frame, different anything. Its in the same class as a sv650 its copetision as it but its a compleatelay diffrent bike. But take most sports bikes they all look some what similer in realiaty.

and 4 reports wow
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #28
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I rode a few--The engine may is virtually identical to the SV, but--Everything else is sub-par.
Brakes are awful--Dangerously so. Suspension is weak, and chassis is flexy.
Pass.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #29
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
GT,

Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but these guys supposedly have a brand new '07 V2S 650 for $3,499

DEALER INFO

Nault's Windham Motorcycles
60 Range Road
Windham, NH
Phone: 603-898-4466
TollFree: 800-867-7220
Email: naultshonda@earthlink.net

Welcome to Nault's Windham Motorcycles. Located in Tax Free Windham New Hampshire.
Welcome to Nault's Windham Motorcycles. Located in Tax Free Windham New Hampshire.

*Sale prices do not include Delivery and Administrative fees*

STOCK NUMBER: 3499
2007 United Motors V2S 650MSRP $5,199 NOW $3,499

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #30
Twitch
n00b

I was refering more to the brand or name than the style of bike when I said they were unique or different. I also didnt mean Hyosung specifically, but all "off brand" bikes like Kymco or Hyosung. There are a few others out there, but those two come to mind right away. Since I ride a cruiser, thats what I think of when I think about the styling though. The cruisers from Hyosung or Kymco look a little different than the norm. There is also Jonny Pag, who by all accounts makes a quality 350cc chopper that looks cool. All I was saying is there are some qualitys brand and models out there that are not well known, but that doesnt mean they are less viable than a big name brand. I mean hell, I sat on a Can-am last week and thought it felt like a cheap PoS, yet people hand over lots of dough to own one of these things. That doesnt make them any better than what i ride, just a different choice for someone.

BTW, I just want to clarify that I would LOOOVVVEEEE to have a chance to ride a Can-am, just to know what it rides like.