Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #31
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Hawk
again my good sir you never read the article I posted they go out of there way to say its not a sv650 copy. Taking your logic I can say a triumph is a copy of a harley Its a completely different engine, completely different frame, different anything. Its in the same class as a sv650 its copetision as it but its a compleatelay diffrent bike. But take most sports bikes they all look some what similer in realiaty.

and 4 reports wow
Yes, the reposts of my message (now nuked) probably annoyed you as much as it did me.

I have actually looked into the Hyosungs quite a bit and already knew they were not exact copies as you noted. I guess I'm sorry I didn't cite you as a source in my post. I used the word "copy" because they look pretty much like the SV650. Yes, different mechanicals etc...but same look and style, which was what Twitch was posting about. I actually respect Hyusong for trying something similar with another's popular style rather than just completely copying it like most Chinese stuff I've seen. Still, I'm not sure how you can deny the similarities of the trellis frame, hanging pipe and naked look, but maybe you see something different than me.

As for the Harley, I guess you didn't really read my post. The Hyusong shares a lot more style than a Harley and Triumph. Similar exposed frame, similar tank and frame intersections, similar pipes, similar futuristic style that most other cruisers don't have.
Harley Vrod:

Hyosung GT650 (I think it used to be called an Aquila, which was that I sat on awhile back).
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #32
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
again my good sir you never read the article I posted they go out of there way to say its not a sv650 copy. Taking your logic I can say a triumph is a copy of a harley Its a completely different engine, completely different frame, different anything. Its in the same class as a sv650 its copetision as it but its a compleatelay diffrent bike. But take most sports bikes they all look some what similer in realiaty.

and 4 reports wow
Yes, the reposts of my message (now nuked) probably annoyed you as much as it did me.

I have actually looked into the Hyosungs quite a bit and already knew they were not exact copies as you noted. I guess I'm sorry I didn't cite you as a source in my post. I used the word "copy" because they look pretty much like the SV650. Yes, different mechanicals etc...but same look and style, which was what Twitch was posting about. I actually respect Hyusong for trying something similar with another's popular style rather than just completely copying it like most Chinese stuff I've seen. Still, I'm not sure how you can deny the similarities of the trellis frame, hanging pipe and naked look, but maybe you see something different than me.

As for the Harley, I guess you didn't really read my post. The Hyusong shares a lot more style than a Harley and Triumph. Similar exposed frame, similar tank and frame intersections, similar pipes, similar futuristic style that most other cruisers don't have.
Harley Vrod:

Hyosung GT650 (I think it used to be called an Aquila, which was that I sat on awhile back).
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #33
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:

and 4 reports wow

I have actually looked into the Hyosungs quite a bit and already knew they were not exact copies as you noted. I used the word "copy" because they look pretty much like the SV650. Yes, different mechanicals etc...but same look and style, which was what Twitch was posting about. I actually somewhat respect Hyusong for trying something similar with another's popular style rather than just completely copying it like most Chinese stuff I've seen.

Still, I'm not sure how you can deny the similarities of the trellis frame, hanging pipe and naked look. As for the Harley, I guess you didn't really read my post. The Hyusong GT650/Avitar/Aquila shares a lot more style than a Harley and Triumph. Similar exposed frame, similar tank and frame intersections, similar pipes, similar futuristic style that most other cruisers don't have. Maybe you see something different, or, maybe, you're just full of yourself.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #34
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
The Hyosung GT650 engine is not a SV650 engine.

Has Hyosung Built the SV650 engine and bike in the past? Yes not up for debate they did in fact build the SV650 under contract with Suzuki.

Did anyone here get a Hyosung built SV650? Not unless you live somewhere in the asian continent.

Suzuki does what a lot of manufacturers do, they outsource. So we outsource to China, Japan outsources to Korea. Same story.

Let me throw another gem at you. The hyosung GT650 engine is significantly better than the first gen SV650 mill. I'd guess, since i haven't had the opportunity to ride a new FI model, that the new FI model is better than the current generation SV650 motor.

More power and smoother power delivery.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #35
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

With that arguement it can be said that the SV650 and GT650 were "copies" of the old Ducati M600
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #36
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,290
IMO Hyosung motorcycles are like Hyundai in cars.. soon they will come up with a great bike at low price.. actually, they already have the GT650 is a great bike at low price.

If you have some decent mechanic skills and proper tools, who need stealership support?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #37
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Good point Cat. I don't use the dealership much anyway...
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #38
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate

With that arguement it can be said that the SV650 and GT650 were "copies" of the old Ducati M600
That was the intention of Suzuki....take advantage of the Ducati style at a lower price....so "yes"

The sv650 is a good bike in it's own right though....One of my top recommendations for a first street bike.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #39
Twitch
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Approachbears, I am not full of myself. I do realize that the sportbike and standard are very similar to standard fare. And yes, the V-rod does look like the Avitar in that they both have the exposed wrap frame with the long low look. There are also a few other similarities, however seeing them in pictures and seeing them in person together are really rather different. I am not nieve enough to think that Hyosung or any other brand are completely original in the design. But given that there are only a few models that look similar to what my bike looks like, I still say it is somewhat unique in its styling. Also, from what I understand, alot of Harley guys dont consider the V-Rod to be a Harley. Yea it has the name, but its design is not really harley. I know they outsourced the design of the bike to someone else, but I dont remember who.

Anyway, to sum up, I realize the styling on these bikes, sport or cruiser, is not totally unique. But my major point was that it is an alternative to buying "big box". And we will be unique until these bikes are as popular as the big names. Thats all.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #40
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Like I said earlier its a sv650 LIKe bike its no copy but I see more of the ducati frame the the sv650 but that's me. Yes its smiler I competitively are its smiler but to say its a copy is a bit much idea thats all.

I don't think its perfect and I think the sv650 is the better bike but for the cost differences if a gt650 can be had for a decent price drop over a sv650 then the gt650 would be a good way to go. And they have improved the thing, the new ones are fuel injected and have other minor improvements so they are working on the thing. I also knew about other company's using the gt650 as a bases for there motorcycles so hey they have to be doing somting right. Pic of one I know of like this

GT_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #41
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
so you buy a cheap gently GT650, and by the time you add premium components (gixxr front end, ohlins rear, upgraded brakes + mc, clip-ons, rear-sets, exhaust, better tires..) you are still looking at a cheaper bike than cheapest ducati :p..

it may be worth it if you can wrench on your own.. and maybe you have a nicer bike..

maybe..

Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #42
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Geez. I just don't understand why folks get so alarmed, upset, and scared like little babies when the topic of Hyosung comes up. I always hear "bad bikes!", "cheap finish!", "spend a little more and get a lot more" they always admonish; yet, the fact is that if a person is looking at purchasing a Hyosung, most often that individual is already stating that she/he is either on a serious bike budget and may/probably already be at the top end of her/his idea of what to spend on a bike. At that point, even a small amount more to an already stretched budget can be a lot. Additionally, I always think it's funny how these same folks who cry fowl almost always own bikes by companies that have a significant amount of recalls, rebuilds, and so forth, as if chronic problems with expensive bikes are somehow different and better than problems with cheap bikes. Hyosung/UM is a valid option in bike world and if something different and less money is what you want then I see no problem in putting your money down for one.

lousgoose screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 09:55 AM
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #43
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
so you buy a cheap gently GT650, and by the time you add premium components (gixxr front end, ohlins rear, upgraded brakes + mc, clip-ons, rear-sets, exhaust, better tires..) you are still looking at a cheaper bike than cheapest ducati :p..

it may be worth it if you can wrench on your own.. and maybe you have a nicer bike..

maybe..

um the bike stock works fine. Sure I will do a few things to one but um why would I do that to a starter bike.
GT_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #44
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpreynolds
Geez. I just don't understand why folks get so alarmed, upset, and scared like little babies when the topic of Hyosung comes up. I always hear "bad bikes!", "cheap finish!", "spend a little more and get a lot more" they always admonish; yet, the fact is that if a person is looking at purchasing a Hyosung, most often that individual is already stating that she/he is either on a serious bike budget and may/probably already be at the top end of her/his idea of what to spend on a bike. At that point, even a small amount more to an already stretched budget can be a lot. Additionally, I always think it's funny how these same folks who cry fowl almost always own bikes by companies that have a significant amount of recalls, rebuilds, and so forth, as if chronic problems with expensive bikes are somehow different and better than problems with cheap bikes. Hyosung/UM is a valid option in bike world and if something different and less money is what you want then I see no problem in putting your money down for one.
Man.. do you need a vagina wipe for all the sand you got down under?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #45
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa

maybe..

Wait were you talking about a GT650 or a SV650? Can't really tell since they both have shit suspension, brakes, clip ons, rear sets, exhaust and tires from the factory...
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F