Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #46
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
When money is tight, you need to examine three things:

1. Buy in: the initial purchase price.
2. cost of ownership: parts, accessories, maintenance, insurance. Add in the extras you might put on it to get it where you want it.
3. Resale. Could you get rid of it if you needed the money? How much could you get? Could you use it as a trade piece?

People on the tightest budgets should look to value rather than price. Hyosung is no value, at this time.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #47
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
oy why do people have to be on a tight budget to get a hyosung I ask. I am not on a tight budget but warranty and all for same as a second hand sv650 sorry the hyosung wins. And maybe people want a cheaper bike for there first one realy. I could go buy a nice triumph scrambler or a sv650 right now but why, I would rather learn on somthing more cost effective and the price of a hyosung is slaping the sv650 and others around for fun. Is it the best HELL NO but for a general bike that work it dose the job. Why is it people think you have to have the best bike ever, must have best resale value da da da. Realy if you are buying the bike because of resale value you are not buying for the best reasons I am buying a bike for me not the next guy. and from what I can tell all big names have issues, frames cracking ring a bell suzuki, just because they are new means they get beat on which is what Is ee here. Maybe not the best qualiaty but its not a piece opf crap by any means, they seam to work reviews are favarable mostlay citing very minor things. Breaks for example steel braded liens and new brake pads aparenlay work great. thats what 200$ for that. Rear suspention sorry I am not racing, and from what other and reviews state unless ua re realy into that sprt of thing the stock one work s well enough. Is it the best no but do you alays nead the best no no and hell no. I am just looking for a decent bike to learn on and have soem fun with and one liek this fits the bill
GT_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #48
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,573
You asked for opinions.. and you got A through Z. People generally don't like HYOSUNG because its Korean quality motorcycle. It had a rough start, like any other product.

Anyway, get you a (used) HYOSUNG, but don't pay more than $2500 for 650 version. Girls wont know a difference between GSXR600 and GT650R.. They will in fact wonder why does your bike sound more manly than other squid bike.

It's a budget bike. nuff said, i think.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #49
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,458
Hyosungs are like fat chicks. Fun, but you don't want your friends to see you riding it!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #50
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
When money is tight, you need to examine three things:

1. Buy in: the initial purchase price.
2. cost of ownership: parts, accessories, maintenance, insurance. Add in the extras you might put on it to get it where you want it.
3. Resale. Could you get rid of it if you needed the money? How much could you get? Could you use it as a trade piece?

People on the tightest budgets should look to value rather than price. Hyosung is no value, at this time.
The hell with resale. Motorcycles are not an investment. They are essentially toys that suck up much money but are well worth it with every twist of the throttle; Korean, Bavarian, Japanese and even English
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #51
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate
The hell with resale. Motorcycles are not an investment. They are essentially toys that suck up much money but are well worth it with every twist of the throttle; Korean, Bavarian, Japanese and even English
now this I agree with. In the end have a feeling I will use one for a few years then my brother will get it for a few years and kill it lol good biek to learn on cheep, but i agree resale on the gt650 is crap. the GT250 is a better resale as 250 cc bikes here, there is not many sport 250's so hey. but again I compleatelay agree, its a toy use it as one (withen reason lol)
Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #52
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
No offense guys, but people who think "the hell with resale" usually don't get to own the types of bikes people who DO care about resale get to.

Think about it: guy 1 buys a used R1200GS for $10k, rides it for two years, and sells it for $9500. Guy 2 buys a new Hyosung 650 for $3500. In two years if he can find anyone to buy a used Hyosung, he might get $1800.

Who spent more money?

I'm not trying to be smug here- look at my bike ownership list. I owned most of those bikes while making less than 28,000 per year. Most in my 20s. I didn't have much money, so I had to be savvy with how I bought and sold bikes. I'm 37 now, and while I make more I still don't have a ton of money- but have learned through being careful that cost of ownership and cost of use (what you pay versus what you eventually part with it for) is critical.

Do what you like- but I'd rather buy a used SV650 for $3200 ride it for a few years and sell it for $3000 than I would buying what appears to be a disposable bike. I've seen no arguments to compel me to buy a Hyosung outside of initial purchase price, which is often the worst indicator of total value in the marketplace.

Buy what you like: but seriously, I'm only trying to help here.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #53
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

so the sv650 worth new 8-9k originally second hand is 4k, that's 1/2 cost lost, no warranty and no idea what the guy before u did. Or a new gt650 4k which in 4 years I could easialy get 2k for would be amazing. Remember at 2k a well running bike to a guy on a tight budget is a god sin as even 250's go for more then that and hell the gt250 here are selling liek hot cakes on second hand marker for 3-4k range. Also considering I am the type of person who buys and uses say a car for 5-15 years, I don't flip them generally speaking. I am no racer or anything like that. Remember in Canada besides 1 I know of which looks liek it was heavely damaged and repaired sv650 cheapest price is 4k and those go FAST more common is 5k price for a 2003/2004 model range. and there are VERY few older ones then that around I am finding.

I agree with your logic but depends on situation of flipping every year or 2 then great fine you are right but if I sell in 5 years, buying the 2003 sv650 now it will be worth what 2k in 5 years maybe a little more. the hyosung probabley about the same at the point in time maybe a little less. but the twist is initial warranty and knowing who broke it in (me). But again your logic is risht depending on situation. I am also the type of person who hates to sell things, hell I have 20+ paintball guns alown, most of them are projects and such but in the end I use maybe 3 of them reguleraly so hey I am the type who holds on to things so my intention is here use this to learn, let brother do the same, do soem touring and fun riding. In 2-3 or so years get me a triumph while brother has my bike. but it will be around for a long time.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #54
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
No offense guys, but people who think "the hell with resale" usually don't get to own the types of bikes people who DO care about resale get to.

Think about it: guy 1 buys a used R1200GS for $10k, rides it for two years, and sells it for $9500. Guy 2 buys a new Hyosung 650 for $3500. In two years if he can find anyone to buy a used Hyosung, he might get $1800.

Who spent more money?
The guy that had to have his final drive replaced out of warranty?
2003 Ford Focus SVT

Sir Not Appearing screwed with this post 02-24-2009 at 06:51 AM
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #55
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,141
This sounds like a low end version of the "should I get a new V Strom or a used GS" discussion.

Personally I have no interest in anything Hyosung makes, but this certainly looks like a a great first road bike on paper. If you want one, that's great, you'll be helping a new motorcycle company thrive and one day they may produce innovative and interesting bikes.

Advantages - It's fairly rare, so you won't see yourself on every corner and at $5k you're really not risking much.

My main beef is that instead of trying stand out, they are purely competing on price. The only reason to buy this thing is that it is cheaper than the Suzuki. If that floats your boat....why not?
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #56
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
This sounds like a low end version of the "should I get a new V Strom or a used GS" discussion.

Personally I have no interest in anything Hyosung makes, but this certainly looks like a a great first road bike on paper. If you want one, that's great, you'll be helping a new motorcycle company thrive and one day they may produce innovative and interesting bikes.

Advantages - It's fairly rare, so you won't see yourself on every corner and at $5k you're really not risking much.

My main beef is that instead of trying stand out, they are purely competing on price. The only reason to buy this thing is that it is cheaper than the Suzuki. If that floats your boat....why not?

well this is sort of my thinking here good first bike, its cheep so If I break it I don't cry. and the naked version dose float my boat, I like the tubler frame look over the more sharper frame look for the sv650. the older sv650 I loved there look mind you as well as the ducati's.

If it the best bike out there HELL NO, but dose it get the job done you bet ya. Now if I was going for the price of a brand new gt650 and looking at brand new sv650 I may spend the extra cash depending on the difference in price. IE 5004 diff sv, 1500-2k diff um sorry GT wins out. Both would need some minor work to bring to my standard IE new break pags and steel breaded lines, soem saddle bags but not much.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #57
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
I sort of disagree on this one. The GT650 has some features not typically found on "budget" bikes. Adjustable rear-sets, upside down forks, digital/analog guages (on the R mode) and the most recent addition fuel injection.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #58
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,141
fair point......adding value is a good way to get into a market. I was probably judging on looks and basic specs too much.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #59
GT_Hawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the fuel injection was added in 2008 except in north America where its going to be on the new 2009 . Before that it had a carborator, actualy same one that was on the old sv650's. Mind you both suzuki and Hyosung just used the same parts supplyer for that which makes sense as since Hyosung makes parts for suzuki that they would have similer supplyers for ther eown gear. I heave heard its the same fuel injection system or part of it is as the sv but again thats supplyed parts not in house parts.

Also they changed the colour of the frame from gray to a power black. also the naked/comet may not be available in canada as well this year DOH.

GT_Hawk screwed with this post 02-24-2009 at 10:07 AM
Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #60
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
The thing is, resale really doesn't matter greatly with these bikes. I bought mine new and cheap, sold it used and cheap. Didn't lose very much at all because I didn't drop a bundle on it to begin with. There is depreciation with every motorcycle and the same person who is interested in a new hyosung can and often is interested in a gently used one as well.

Heh, can't we all just get along?
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote