User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Battery question

I'm building a car radio for my tool box at work. After numerous cords chewed to heck from fork trucks from my old boom box style radio. I decided to buy a car radio and build it into my box, so when I'm not near an outlet. I can run it off the battery, which now leads me to my question, which battery would be best for running a radio for a few hours at a time. A lawn mower battery, or like a motorcycle/snowmobile 12lbs or 16lbs agm battery since those can be had from Walmart for about $40-$50?
lpfm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 13,278
well, if you can be SURE not to tip it over, the motorcycle style wet battery has plenty of capacity, if you go AGM, I'd go at least 18 amp/hours. If you mount the charger in the box with it, you can always plug in when it's possible without damage.

Edited to add: If you put this IN your tool box, put it in a battery box - a wrench across the terminals would be a bad thing - if this is a rolling tool box, you could use a car battery, even an old one would be plenty.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
well, if you can be SURE not to tip it over, the motorcycle style wet battery has plenty of capacity, if you go AGM, I'd go at least 18 amp/hours. If you mount the charger in the box with it, you can always plug in when it's possible without damage.

Edited to add: If you put this IN your tool box, put it in a battery box - a wrench across the terminals would be a bad thing - if this is a rolling tool box, you could use a car battery, even an old one would be plenty.

That what I was going to do. Put a 2 amp/hr charger mounted to the plugs I'm putting on the back wall. And after all was hooked up. I was going to wrap any bare/open positive with electrical tape
Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 892
The type of battery you seek is commonly used for emergency egress lighting in public buildings.
I use one in my panhead. It was like $17. It will run a stereo for hours.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
The type of battery you seek is commonly used for emergency egress lighting in public buildings.

I use one in my panhead. It was like $17. It will run a stereo for hours.

Do you have a link for the battery?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

http://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Lead-Ac.../dp/B004JHI8MM

This is the exact battery I have in my pan. You should be able to find a better price than this example.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting, that might work.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Install an automatic battery charger somewhere so you can plug it in when near 110v power without overcharging.
Cool project. Please post your results.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #9
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
Install an automatic battery charger somewhere so you can plug it in when near 110v power without overcharging.

Cool project. Please post your results.

Yeah. That's what I'm doing. I got a 2 amp auto charger. I should take a pic of the box. It's inside dims are 48" wide, 27" deep. And 32" high. Built out of 2x4's and lots of screwed. And bolted with gussets to my 27 wide by 20" deep toolbox. Lol. Not going to have a lot of weight on it. Radio, paperwork, misc tools. And a small tool box with most of the weight over the main toolbox itself
Old 04-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #10
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfm1990 View Post
Do you have a link for the battery?

Home Depot, Menards or Lowes sell these exit sign batteries for less than the Battery stores. Just watch the dates on the battery........that they have not been sitting on the selve for 3 years. They come in many sizes 6 and 12 volt.

I use the 6 volt version in Honda CT 70 and CT 90 , they are sealed, last for years and less expensive vs wet "acid" batteries.

The other choice is the Milwaukee M12 lithium battery........I use that to power 12 volt a large LED spot light. Plus the M12 system is a great tool package.

I have gone in a different direction for the shop radio with a blue tooth speaker like the Jam Box and stream from a smart phone. Get any station using Iheart or tunein or other free services. Get any music genre using pandora or other services. The are dozens of these speakers in all price ranges? They are self contained battery, charger etc. The old versions have phono plugs too...

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/07/t...cal-experience

Budget version of a phone/ MP3 speaker:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...motion+speaker

I have collector car......use the phone and Jambox for music instead of trashing the dash with a modern radio.

showkey screwed with this post 04-11-2015 at 07:08 AM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 3,190
I have an old Honda car radio/CD player mounted in my work bench in the garage, I run it using an OLD worthless smallish car battery that I trickle charge from time to time. The radio apparently needs little juice to run cause no way the battery could start a car. I have also run the same radio using an old power supply from a computer.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Problem is. Where I work it's loud (water jets cutting above water. Not under water like they should have been set up) so. A normal radio. Is no where near loud enough to be heard. So I need a radio with some ass so I can listen to it. While working away. And yet. Have my stuff in a spot where a fork truck isn't going to cream it driving threw the shop
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
lpfm1990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The madness is almost completed. Just need to tiddy up the wires with some loom. And wire/nail things to make it nice and pretty. It's not perfect. But for what I had to work with (twisted 2x4's and limited carpentry tools) it's good enough for me, went with a 16lb snowmobile/atv agm battery, has a 19ah rating for 10hrs. That radio is a max of 4.5amp. So I can run it all day. And barely use any battery... I have a 36" light inside it also. So when near a plug I can light it up and charge the battery. And a small inverter so I can light it up also if need be. Here's Wednesday night at work

And as of tonight at work. Nice having a water jet machine to cut the plate for the speakers!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Err... so your solution to a noisy work place ... is to make more noise ?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 5,188
Where's the coffee pot?

b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: