User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #1
650x OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
TV with Good OTA Program Guide

Appears to be several inmates here that know a lot about TV's. Asked this question on a TV specific forum and didn't get any useful answers. Trying here to see if I can get any useful information.

I am looking to buy a TV with a 50 inch screen (give or take 6 inches) that has a program guide for OTA (over the air) channels that is as good or better than my current 4 year old 32 inch TV. To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I am including pictures of an example of what I consider a good program guide and an example of what I consider a poor program guide. Both TV's are hooked up to the same antenna and both pictures were taken within a few minutes of each other.

First picture is of what I consider to be a poor program guide and similar to the program guide I find on many TV's. It does tell me the name of the program and does give a description but does not tell me what is on later in the day.

The second picture is my 4 year old 32 inch TV that has what I consider to be a good program guide. It not only tells me what is currently on with a description but shows me what is on later in the day. I can scroll down to see the name of the later shows (with description) for up to about 10+ hours. Also if the particular description is too long I can scroll through as many pages as necessary to read the entire description.

Using the TV with the "good" program guide, I can see what is on and what is going to be on for the rest of the evening. I would like to buy a larger screen TV (46-55 inch) with a program guide as good as the 32 inch TV I currently have. The problem is that none of the TV's in the store are hooked up to an antenna so you are unable to see how good the program guide is for OTA channels. A few days ago I was looking at TV's in a local store and was talking about my program guide concerns with the sales person. They had no way of knowing or showing me what the program guide was like and suggested I buy the TV I was looking at and try it and if the guide was not what I wanted to bring it back for a full refund. (the store has a great return policy) I bought a 50 inch RCA TV for what I felt was a good price. Took it home and set it up only to find that the program guide was even worse than the TV in my first picture. I boxed it back up and returned it for a full refund. I would rather not have to keep buying and returning TV's until I find a good one as it is a lot of trouble and although the store has a good return policy, they may not like it if I have to buy and return several TV's before I find one I am willing to keep.

Do any of you inmates know of a currently for sale TV in the size range I want with a program guide like I am looking for? Brand and model number of such a TV would be great along with any comments you have about the particular TV you recommend.

BTW; the manufacture of the TV I have with the good program guide, Hannspree no longer has large screen TV's for sale (according to their web page) so I can't just try that brand.

DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #2
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 208
I got rid of satellite and got one of these:

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

OTA DVR and full on-screen guide with program details etc. Will work with any TV you get. Love it.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #3
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Very few people use the set's own tuner these days so this capability isn't as common as it used to be. Sets in stores aren't connected to OTA antennas, making shopping for this feature difficult. The vast majority of people get this info off a satellite or cable box or external DVR.

I've had the best luck researching TV specs and features by noting the exact manufacturers model number. Go to the set's mfg's website and click on "customer support". Under customer support you'll be able to download the owner's manual for the model number you're researching. The owner's manual is usually the most reliable source for information on a set's features and capabilities.

Good luck!
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: