User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Krautbikeman OP
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,508
Stihl KH-55 Multitool

I replaced the ignition coil on the above-referenced handheld tool. When I reassembled the top cover, everything went back together with no issues but I now cannot pull the starter cord AT ALL.

Was there some type of mechanism that I dislodged when I separated the top cover to gain access to the coil?
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,795
Do you pull it and it draws out but does not engage or is it stuck so it doesn't move??
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
rstrkt
nOOb DeLuxe

Oddometer: 2
Make sure you have the proper spacing between the flywheel magnet and the coil. You can use a business card for that spacing.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrkt View Post
Make sure you have the proper spacing between the flywheel magnet and the coil. You can use a business card for that spacing.
That's what I'd say for the no-pull scenario..

If pull-no-engage: check to make sure the mechanism that draws the starter pawls out of their resting positing is engaging the pawls..
Old 05-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Krautbikeman OP

The pull cord will not move at all so I guess I'm dealing with the no gap situation...I guess I'll be digging back into it to figure out which way I can adjust the gap on the coil.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
A-Bone
Indubitably

The coil should look something like this...

See how the hole on the left that the mounting bolt goes through is not round?... it is more oblong? That is what gives you room-for-adjustment.. The top mounting bolt hole is larger in diameter than the bolt (I'm guessing it is round to save machining time/complexity because it doesn't have an impact on the timing).

Just back the mounting bolts back a small amount...just enough to move the coil with some effort.... then slide a business card between the coil and the flywheel magnets.. The magnets will grab the coil tight... that is OK as long as the business card is between the coil and the magnets... re-tighten and remove the card... before you try to start it, move the flywheel magnets past the coil a couple times to make sure there is not a high point that contacts the coil... if there is, re-adjust.. if not fire her up...

A-Bone screwed with this post 05-31-2015 at 09:15 AM
Old 06-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
Krautbikeman OP

Thanks, A-Bone! I had mounted the coil in a low spot between the fins. Once adjusted according to your suggestion, it fired right up.

Jinx

Old 06-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 4,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautbikeman View Post
Thanks, A-Bone! I had mounted the coil in a low spot between the fins. Once adjusted according to your suggestion, it fired right up.
This place is awesome like that

Thank for the education guys......now if I can just remember it until needed
Old 06-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautbikeman View Post
Friggin sweet!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: