ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,770
What have you eaten lately?

Inspired by a wife that is a great cook, and a recent trip to Italy, Rome and Florence, I am posting our favorites from the trip, but am curious what you have eaten lately that was exceptional?

Breakfast. Mine came with scrambled eggs, bacon and Hot Dogs, seriously!


First night, ironically at an Argentinian Restaurant.






Various lunches:





Dinner at the restaurant we had lunch at, photo above:


Stuffed Lamb:

Italian Ribs:

Fun with the staff:

Our third anniversary dinner in a great place next to the Coliseum:

A little Vino:


The View:

The food:
Lobster, Prawns and Shrimp:

The aftermath!

Lunch in Florence:
Great place next to the train station:

Anchovies appetizer:

Clam Pasta (it was more food than it looks like):

Octopus and mashed potatoes with garlic sauce, outstanding!:

Italian Tiramisu:

Typical Beer and pasta dinner:


Due to walking many miles around Rome and Florence, we gained not one ounce, but had a fantastic time!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
DomEOD
'murica
 
DomEOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Ft Carson, CO and SoCal
Oddometer: 2,345
Pepperoni Lean Pockets. I'm a barracks master chef.
__________________
'14 F800GS

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,707
Have you heard of this new thing made just for this, Facebook?
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Have you heard of this new thing made just for this, Facebook?
Piss off Asshole. If you don't like what I post, shut the fuck up and don't reply!

I didn't give a fuck when you posted about your Harley or your Volt, but you didn't see me pissing on your threads!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Piss off Asshole. If you don't like what I post, shut the fuck up and don't reply!

I didn't give a fuck when you posted about your Harley or your Volt, but you didn't see me pissing on your threads!
I don't have a Facebook.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,942
Looks like a great trip, Jim! I love Mediteranian seafood.

Speaking of seafood; my Dad's 75th birthday was this weekend, so I went and BBQ'd for everyone. I made my signature dish: BBQ teriyaki salmon, along with a really tender tri-tip with plenty of pepper, galic powder, and salt on it. To round out the meal, we had BBQ beans, garlic bread, and salad.

The fish is actually quite easy, but tastes like much more effort goes into it. I marinade a salmon filet in Kikomen teriyaki glaze (not the liquid stuff) and Vegitable Delight (or similar) seasoning. Lay the fish, meat side down on the hot grill to quickly char it, then flip it onto the skin side to finish cooking. The trick is just to flip it before it falls apart. Let it cook on the skin side until the meat flakes.




High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,412
Darn....I really like Octopus. I have had plenty of experience with that, not many can do it properly. That one sure does look good....!

Hard to find here for sure, I guess I'll have to settle for Calamar tonight. One block out of the freezer as of right now.Too bad I am not out there for fresh stuff, will have to settle for the somewhat inferior "product of California". Cheep....!

Only 2 slices of bacon for Breakfast?Had 1/2 lb fried with a large Walla Onion, add 17 Perogies, good hot sauce and top with cheddar. And not degreased, ate all of it last night but then needed them carbs from pushing too much snow yesterday.

But then 36 years at feeding the masses, Chef...Chief Cook, whatever they want to call me, I am just about done and still fit my riding pants from 36 years ago.

All looked good....Happy anniversary!

And edit....if just from the Salmon above. Reminds me that I have to start the planer and plane some cedar, them little planks they sell at the store don't do it for us "fish plankers". Kikkoman....OK but only because that's what they supply us with at work. I doctor it or often make my own Teriyaki, simple and makes the galley smell really good.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!

H96669 screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 08:54 AM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Hodag
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792
looks good
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too
 
FinlandThumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Neither here nor there
Oddometer: 6,255
I ate at that restaurant by the coliseum a few years back! Good times.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!
 
NICO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 23,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Darn....I really like Octopus. I have had plenty of experience with that, not many can do it properly. That one sure does look good....!

Hard to find here for sure, I guess I'll have to settle for Calamar tonight. One block out of the freezer as of right now.Too bad I am not out there for fresh stuff, will have to settle for the somewhat inferior "product of California". Cheep....!

Only 2 slices of bacon for Breakfast?Had 1/2 lb fried with a large Walla Onion, add 17 Perogies, good hot sauce and top with cheddar. And not degreased, ate all of it last night but then needed them carbs from pushing too much snow yesterday.

But then 36 years at feeding the masses, Chef...Chief Cook, whatever they want to call me, I am just about done and still fit my riding pants from 36 years ago.

All looked good....Happy anniversary!

And edit....if just from the Salmon above. Reminds me that I have to start the planer and plane some cedar, them little planks they sell at the store don't do it for us "fish plankers". Kikkoman....OK but only because that's what they supply us with at work. I doctor it or often make my own Teriyaki, simple and makes the galley smell really good.
1-1/2 hour low simmer with seasonings and some good sherry vinegar and your porpo (octopus) will be nice and tender. Grill over hot coals and enjoy.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
1-1/2 hour low simmer with seasonings and some good sherry vinegar and your porpo (octopus) will be nice and tender. Grill over hot coals and enjoy.
1 1/2 hrs??? Yep that will work. But then I don't have much time at home, I go for the flash cooking. And I say flash....miss that and you'll be simmering. Same with Calamari....Abalone...!

I miss Octopus....maybe the boys will bring one up when jigging next time I go to work. They like to keep them for bait, I have other ideas about that.

I miss the science trawls we used to do...always a few goodies to eat. No need to cook them, right off the screens into my mouth. Scallops...prawns w/eggs and brains....little crabs. And the undergraduate students reactions to that.....priceless.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!
 
NICO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 23,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
1 1/2 hrs??? Yep that will work. But then I don't have much time at home, I go for the flash cooking. And I say flash....miss that and you'll be simmering. Same with Calamari....Abalone...!

I miss Octopus....maybe the boys will bring one up when jigging next time I go to work. They like to keep them for bait, I have other ideas about that.

I miss the science trawls we used to do...always a few goodies to eat. No need to cook them, right off the screens into my mouth. Scallops...prawns w/eggs and brains....little crabs. And the undergraduate students reactions to that.....priceless.
Calamari definitely needs a quick cook. 30 seconds or 30 minutes. Everything in between makes for a mouth full of rubbery o-rings. Haven't cooked abalone, but probably the same rule applies.

I've seen folks 'tenderize' octopus with a rolling pin to get them tender, but I can't wrap my head around beating the hell out of such a potentially succulent specimen when a little time and care can produce a much better result.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Calamari definitely needs a quick cook. 30 seconds or 30 minutes. Everything in between makes for a mouth full of rubbery o-rings. Haven't cooked abalone, but probably the same rule applies.

I've seen folks 'tenderize' octopus with a rolling pin to get them tender, but I can't wrap my head around beating the hell out of such a potentially succulent specimen when a little time and care can produce a much better result.
Same folks that put abalone through a blender???

Coquetel de Pulpo???...I sure ate lots of that in Mexico, not beaten for sure.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Darn....I really like Octopus. I have had plenty of experience with that, not many can do it properly. That one sure does look good....!

Hard to find here for sure, I guess I'll have to settle for Calamar tonight. One block out of the freezer as of right now.Too bad I am not out there for fresh stuff, will have to settle for the somewhat inferior "product of California". Cheep....!

Only 2 slices of bacon for Breakfast?Had 1/2 lb fried with a large Walla Onion, add 17 Perogies, good hot sauce and top with cheddar. And not degreased, ate all of it last night but then needed them carbs from pushing too much snow yesterday.

But then 36 years at feeding the masses, Chef...Chief Cook, whatever they want to call me, I am just about done and still fit my riding pants from 36 years ago.

All looked good....Happy anniversary!

And edit....if just from the Salmon above. Reminds me that I have to start the planer and plane some cedar, them little planks they sell at the store don't do it for us "fish plankers". Kikkoman....OK but only because that's what they supply us with at work. I doctor it or often make my own Teriyaki, simple and makes the galley smell really good.
Thanks! It was a nice change visiting a country that takes food seriously. Not cheap, but fun.

You are doing great maintaining your weight, not many cooks seem to be able to.

I'll post up some other food shots, as I enjoy doing, from my wife's excellent cooking.

A recent Portuguese beef and bean soup she made:



Tasty stuff.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,412
Portuguese??? A little Pork & Clams maybe???

You can say it in Portuguese...I don't speak it but our new oiler is Brazilian, I can talk food with him if he comes back to work with us.He likes food, I sure bloated him up over a month last time.....Oh well I don't control them.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014