User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
pox OP
no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer: 288
45-70

Thinking about getting back into gun hunting after traditional archery for the past 15yrs or so. Haven't bought a gun in over 20yrs but always wanted a lever gun. I had thought about a 30-30 but elk, moose and bear will likely also be on the menu leading me to the 45-70. I'm not overly concerned about recoil as I've owned a .375H&H for about 25yrs. I've been eyeing up the Marlin 1895GS. Anybody out there with some first hand 45-70 experience?
pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Thinking about getting back into gun hunting after traditional archery for the past 15yrs or so. Haven't bought a gun in over 20yrs but always wanted a lever gun. I had thought about a 30-30 but elk, moose and bear will likely also be on the menu leading me to the 45-70. I'm not overly concerned about recoil as I've owned a .375H&H for about 25yrs. I've been eyeing up the Marlin 1895GS. Anybody out there with some first hand 45-70 experience?
I bought (2) in the last 4 months. The marlin, and a Henry. The marlin went back to the gun shop. It was made like junk. (remlin) Everything was loose and sloppy. The finish work was so-so at best.
The Henry is really nice so far. I'll start shooting it a bunch here closer to deer season...
If money wasn't an issue, I'd buy one from these guys: http://www.turnbullmfg.com
Old 08-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,781
I have a Marlin 1895 Guide that I bought circa '03 or '04, so it isn't a real old one. It was some sort of limited/special run because, unlike most typical Guide guns at the time, it had a grey laminated straight (no pistol-grip) stock. I can't shoot standard buckhorn sights very well, but didn't want to add bulk to a nice, compact carbine by putting a scope on it. I wanted a peep/ghost-ring that was protected, so ended up with Brockman sights.

I've shot the gun some, not a huge amount, but did take a deer with it in '05. I haven't shot any real hot loads in it, have kept it to fairly standard factory or factory-equivalent velocities, so the recoil is mild. I do have a single shot falling-block 45/70 which is a heavy long-barreled target rifle, and I've loaded some heavy powerful loads in that one for long-range shooting. I've thought about trying a few of those out in the Marlin, but then thought better of it!

Anyway, it's a fun little carbine and packs a good punch.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
Why not just use the .375 H&H? I am a big 45-70 fan, but the 375 is so versatile I always wanted one, but never could afford it.

If you do decide to get a 45-70, get an older production Marlin. I have one circa 1977. It has been a great gun. The "Remlins" don't seem to have consistent quality, more bad than good. I've not seen a Henry, but all I have heard is good.

HardCase, that is a beautiful '95 you have there. I love the straight stocks for lever guns.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
gr8lite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
H&R Buffalo Gun , 45-70 single shot . You only need one if its done right ! Thay shoot great with the right load!
gr8lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,708
45-70 will hunt anything on the planet, if you do your job.

I have a Marlin 1895, in .450 Marlin. Excellent gun. Never a moment of trouble.

The H&R mentioned above is an excellent choice as well.
The_Commander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,432
Quote:
My issue with the guide gun would be its short barrel, if I was planning on shooting at extended distances.

Marlin do have versions with long barrel, which is what I'd want, if hunting in more open country.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Why not just use the .375 H&H? I am a big 45-70 fan, but the 375 is so versatile I always wanted one, but never could afford it.

If you do decide to get a 45-70, get an older production Marlin. I have one circa 1977. It has been a great gun. The "Remlins" don't seem to have consistent quality, more bad than good. I've not seen a Henry, but all I have heard is good.

HardCase, that is a beautiful '95 you have there. I love the straight stocks for lever guns.
Thanks, Andy, I agree, prefer the look of a straight stock on a lever gun as well as on a side-by-side double shotgun.

A guess, I could be wrong here, but I suspect that most typical 375 H&Hs are fairly heavy beasts and the OP wants something a little more pleasant to carry in the field. I had a mid-70s vintage Win Model 70 that I shot for years (although sold it a few years back to a friend), and with the scope mounted the thing weighed at least 10-11 pounds. A Guide gun is probably around 7. Packing a 7 pound gun versus an 11 pound gun makes a really big difference. During my service days the Army was just switching over from the M-14 to the M-16 so I ended up having the opportunity to hump both, and while I love the 14, I didn't like carrying it so much!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,219
I've got the guide gun myself, bought it used from a bud on a lark - mine is pre-remlin but post safety, straight stock.

My only comment/though is that while the knockdown power of the round is excellent, the ballistics are complicated once you step beyond oh, 100 yards plus or minus - drop becomes a significant factor in taking aim.

Nothing better for short range on dangerous game, the Guide Gun is fast handling, short and potent.

Out here in Colorado, the 7 mm and 300 mags are wildly popular for elk due to their range and striking power.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
oldgunner16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Remlin experience

I've got a Ruger No. 1 in it and my son has Guide Gun circa 2012, a Remlin gun. He put Skinner sights on his. He had the stock glass bedded because the fit of the stock to the action wasn't great, but it had a really nice piece of wood on it. They are really fun guns to shoot, but they do put a thumpin on you when you pull the trigger. I would say that the fit and finish of the gun was not great, but I wasn't shocked either. We discussed if he should send the gun in because of the fit at the head of the stock, but the wood was so nice it was worth it to him to have it glass bedded. It ended up that the stock bolt had loosened up with the initial shooting, he went ahead with the glass bedding anyway because of the recoil potential.
oldgunner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Oh new stuff. I have Springfield trap door and a Winchester 1886.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
I have one of the WInchester 1886 Extra Lights built by Miroku. It's the second one I've owned. It shoots and handles will. Another excellent choice would be the Browning version of the 1886, also built by Miroku, but without the extra tang safety. Either one would do the trick. I also owned a Marlin 1895 45-70, one of the super rare early models with ballard rifling, but sold it as someone else wanted it worse than I did. After a bit of time without a 45-70, I picked up the 1886 I currently have, as it is nice to have one in the safe.

I shoot mostly 350gr cast bullets with gaschecks I buy from leadheads (proshootpro.com). Another excellent bullet is the 405 gr Rem JSP. I tend to use RL7 or RL10x the most.

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #13
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
A buddy of mine, a policeman who is in charge of his sizeable force's weapons and training, bought a .45-70 Marlin.

We both really like it. Buffalo Bore ammunition makes it an all-rounder.

At the same time I bought a Marlin .38/.357 just to have something I'd like to shoot, or could afford to shoot, more often (and that would be fine for any game here in Florida).

If I had known about .45-70's years ago I probably would have bought one.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,642
Love my 45-70 Marlin guide gun.
Straight stock, pre rem. Taken down some pretty big Bucks with it.
Put a Tasco Buck Master? scope on it. (to gather light not to reach out)
It is dead accurate at 100-120 yards (very slow moving lead)
I hit a running Buck with it maybe 10 years ago at 180+ yards....
As stated by others, distance is bullet drop!!!! I shot about 16" over his back and the same in front of the nose..... Took him through the shoulder and he dropped like a sack. When you hit with this gun..... Things stop living.

With that said. Last years Buck was 135+ yards running fast behind a line of trees. One shot and down. Could have never made that shot with the 45-70!
30-06 worked great.

45-70 would certainly take down an Elk or Moose.... But you better be up close.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
C Squared hit it.

I watched my buddy use one round of Buffalo Bore .45-70 to take down two medium wild hogs. He waited until they were lined up (actually I don't think he meant to - he was waiting to get a side-shot on the front one), shot, insta-killed the front one while the rear one went to its knees and, while I did do a finishing-shot for it, it wasn't really going anywhere. It would have died right there.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: