///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,649
fixed

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #2718
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,662
On a hunt for Vanagon... nothing close by. Some prick is not answering my emails, and no other way to contact him... Fucking pople don't like cash.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #2719
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Would you pull two bikes and some camping gear behind a Vanagon.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #2720
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Went to the Goodguys Rod show and this was the only thing resembling a van there.....sigh.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #2721
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by teranfon View Post
Hi RN

Here you go:

Forgive the mess, as I've just finished working on the interior. Just some minor stuff like installing a "Fan-Tastic" vent, upgrading the electrical and plumping, electronics, flooring, and a few trim items.

Teranfon - It looks just what I'll be searching for, can you give us some background on the van? What problems have you found or had with th electrical and plumbing? Is everything functioning on a camper van of this vintage or has it been a headache? What did you pay if you don't mind? Are you going to mount a hitch carrier for bikes?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #2722
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Got the first nod of approval on the new "look" for the Stalker Van; some punk-ass 11 year old on a bmx bike rode by yesterday and said "nice fuckin' van, man!"

Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #2723
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

It was nice fucking? Nice! Make sure you bring plenty of rubber with you everywhere you go. His moms may enjoy nice fucking too.. How about vanagon? Would you pull a small 2 dirt bike trailer with a small galley?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #2724
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Would NOT want to drive that! Talk about a crash course in physics!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #2725
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
It was nice fucking? Nice! Make sure you bring plenty of rubber with you everywhere you go. His moms may enjoy nice fucking too.. How about vanagon? Would you pull a small 2 dirt bike trailer with a small galley?
I don't know; Never owned a vanagon. I owned several air-cooled buses, and I wouldn't want to tow with one, but I know Bendejo and Charla have one and are towing a 3 rail bike trailer with it.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #2726
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Teranfon - It looks just what I'll be searching for, can you give us some background on the van? What problems have you found or had with th electrical and plumbing? Is everything functioning on a camper van of this vintage or has it been a headache? What did you pay if you don't mind? Are you going to mount a hitch carrier for bikes?

The van is a 1991 E350 extended. It has a 351 fuel injected, and has 130 000 kilometers (or just over 80 000 miles) on the clock. It was actually in quite good shape to start with when I found it a year ago. It was offered to me by a family member of one of best friends. An elderly lady, she no longer having any use for it. She though it was sweet that I wanted to use it with my dog, and appreciated that I was fair in my estimation of it's worth. I told her that a van of that year, mileage, and condition, was probably worth around seven thousand dollars (canadian). She said I could take it for a thousand dollars and use it in good health.

I'm very fussy and expect my mechanical things to work and look well. During the past year I painted the topper as it was faded, as well as behind the back wheels for paint chips. The valve cover gaskets had a slight weep and I replaced them. I noticed the manifold was evidence of a coolant drip, and decided to replace the gaskets as well. The engine was then given a complete tune up. It should be noted that vans are not easy to work on, and engine work can be difficult and tedious. The front tires were replaced, and all brakes inspected (about 70% left).

In regards to electrical, there weren't really any problems, but I wasn't really prepared to take any chances. You have to remember that these things were really hit and miss when it came to construction. During my two years of looking for one, I saw a lot electrical work that wasn't done correctly, and plumbing that was subpar. The electrical work on this one comprised grounding all connections correctly to the frame, repairing a number of connectors, and changing some wire to a heavier gauge. The propane leak detector was also replaced, a new stereo wired in, wires ran for the fan vent, and a satellite receiver wired in as well. The plumbing material used for fresh water was originally very flimsy and replaced with heavier, clear type hoses. All new clamps were installed as well. In regards to the grey water, I replace the some of the pvc and added new venting. The toilet flush mechanism was also replaced.

The vinyl flooring at the rear of the van was replaced as well. It looked a little dull, and because the toilet had a slight leak from the flush mechanism and ran onto to floor, I was concerned that perhaps some moisture throughout the years had gotten underneath the vinyl and onto the plywood subfloor. Luckily, the sublfoor was fine.

Except for a few other odds and ends, this is what I've done so far. I figure with the cost of the van, I have about five grand into it. I've been offered serious money of eight to ten thousand for it, and one dealer prepared to pay nine thousand on the spot. I won't do it of course, simply because I know what's out there. As mentioned, there are a number for sale, many good, but others absolute crap. Look for one with a basic, solid foundation. Something with a good roof, minimal rust, and a good chassis. Many of these vans were used enthusiastically, but not maintained. I would definitely only consider one with a three-quarter or one-ton chassis. These have heavier components and are better suited for a camper van application. If you can, see if service records are available, and make sure it's been maintained. A surprising number I looked at weren't winterized. Ever. Before purchasing one, make sure water is the holding tank and the electric water pumps works correctly, As do all taps. Check the location of the fresh water tank to see if any of the fittings have ever leaked over time. Also look for a fuse box to make sure everything has a common ground, instead of just wired individually. Also inspect the grey water and black water tanks to make sure they are mounted correctly, and don't have any leaks.

Many vans also have a fridge and some even a furnace. These are generally pretty simple, but are expensive to replace. If the fridge is a three-way, make sure it works on 12V, 115V shore power, and propane. If it doesn't work on 12V, that may be as simple as a fuse. In fact, many people only use the propane setting. They use the propane setting while camping, and then place one of those traveling re-usable freezer blocks in the fridge while traveling with the propane turned off. Most little fridges have a freezer, so these blocks can be refrozen when stopped for the night. The furnace is also quite simple. Simply light it and make sure it works. Whatever van you get, replace the propane detector. These are on all the time and only have a limited working life. When I replaced mine, I wired it to a small switch to turn it off.

Mechanically, inspect the van before purchasing. Remember that many of these things were used only for camping and not for daily driving. As such general repairs may have gotten ignored. Oil changes every two years, low antifreeze, that sort of stuff.

Anyway, good luck. I'm sure if you take the time to weed the junk from the good, you will eventually find something. Take your time, and even if you find a good one that needs a little TLC, it's definitely worth it.

Before

After

varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #2727
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

More stalker van makeover:

Seems these grills are love'em or hate'em.... I've always loved them, so why not?

black bumper... still growing on me.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #2728
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
This conversion was sitting at the white water park Friday. A really nice couple from Belgium had the body made to their specifications and then hired a cabinet maker to build the interior. It had two really cool features, sorry no pics, the bed was hinged to the roof in the cab over area and held to the snug roof with some heavy duty brackets just in front of the side door. They released the brackets and the bed was lowered for sleeping, raised for driving. No making up the bed to eat/cook/read/whatever. The rear had a typical U dinette that is raised, in the back (outside) they had a large access door and easily fit two mountain bikes and two pairs of skis, all inclosed, secure, hidden. I did not see anyway to carry real bikes though. We had some communication problems but as best I could tell he went with the Fiat because it was soooo much lighter than a sprinter

Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #2729
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
More stalker van makeover:

Seems these grills are love'em or hate'em.... I've always loved them, so why not?

black bumper... still growing on me.
Go with black on the bumper and white on the light surrounds, with black grill.
Been wanting to do my bumpers black for a long time, but since they are chrome it's a lot of work. I don't want to add 500lbs of steel with aftermarket bumpers, so they are out.

BTW, Looks 20x better with wheels / tires and lift.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #2730
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Spotted this while walking the dog, nice dark tinted windows but I did spot something red and white inside...

Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: