ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 432 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #5596
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I want that pop top on my van.
i'm sure GTRV would install one just fine.
http://www.gtrv.com/models
they do westy conversions on ford vans and just about anything for that matter.
like sportmobile, i'm sure they do as little or as much as you want done.
cost of course could be ugly.

you could also get a raised roof
& even install it yourself.
http://cyclevan.com/hightops/index.htm
http://www.conversion-vans.net/parts...s-hi-tops.html

i thought about a raised roof with a bunk built up higher in their where you could have bikes in the back yet still be able to sleep above them at night. there are also split platforms that fold down to each wall when not in use (to load bikes) and then go up to form a bed platform at night.

hell you could built that out of heavy duty hinges bolted to the wall and wood framing. each side folds down and then at night comes up with some center leg supports and say a futton mattress on top to sleep on. ed is using some kind of metal DIY kit stuff http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2238
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:33 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #5597
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
sweet!
starts getting pricey ($2K) vrs those coil spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
I've got an Action Vans lift kit on my E350.

__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:52 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #5598
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
WOW!!! A modern Wesftalia clone on a Ford Platform! Good find Eakins!!! Good find!

http://www.pleasureway.com/traverse.php

If it only wasn't costing $60k....
they do show up used
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004...erse-104348852
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #5599
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer
 
broncobowsher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Baking in AZ
Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
I've got an Action Vans lift kit on my E350.

Didn't I just see that van in Vegas at the convention center parking lot Friday afternoon?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #5600
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark
 
seriousracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: i am not f***ng stupid,but i used too. niles mi.
Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
a LSD differential like this?
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=3897
or
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=3898

will these handle the higher weights of this van/rv vrs a regular van?

and of course this bad boy
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-289...4-10-down.html

question?
the above LSD are listing 96-01 for the e-350 vans. what about older than 96 or newer than 01 vans? are they still 32 spline dana 60 diffs? seems plenty of 35 spline dana 60 locker options.
for a little more ... ok twice the price i would rather have an ARB and not take the chance of having the diff lock on me in snowy conditions.. bad enough with an open diff at times..
__________________
racing is not real till your fighting for the line into the next blind corner,real roads, real trees, real fast, real men rally.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #5601
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,635
this might have been posted before, but how did you set up the inside of your moto van?

i have a 1999 Ford E350 cargo van and i've kept it bare bones. i do want to add some shelving or gear nets or some compartments for gear, tools, food, a fold down cot etc. right now i just have wheel chocks for 2 bikes and i toss my gear inbetween the bikes and the cooler goes in back.

thanks for any helpful tips.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #5602
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair
 
Devo 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
this might have been posted before, but how did you set up the inside of your moto van?

i have a 1999 Ford E350 cargo van and i've kept it bare bones. i do want to add some shelving or gear nets or some compartments for gear, tools, food, a fold down cot etc. right now i just have wheel chocks for 2 bikes and i toss my gear inbetween the bikes and the cooler goes in back.

thanks for any helpful tips.
I removed the shelving but kept the cabinet behind the driver. Taped fiberglass insulation to the walls and screwed pegboard on. I also built boxes over the fenderwells Gives me a good place to sit and change into riding gear. The wheel chock is from harbor freight. Be careful drilling holes on that side (fuel tank). A 12v air compressor is fastened to the cage.
I installed Air Lift air bags in the front for a little lift and it makes it more stable.
__________________
Whip it, whip it good.
Devo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #5603
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair
 
Devo 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 182
This is the cabinet I kept for storage.
__________________
Whip it, whip it good.
Devo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #5604
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer
 
hyperboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Meridian, ID
Oddometer: 1,024
^ Looks kinda like mine, I've got the same pegboard. The PO of mine used a truck toolbox as a chock of sorts (cut ABS pipe and big eyebolts) as well as storage and a seat. Works like a charm, well designed setup and leaves a nice little cubby behind the drivers seat for some electronic gizmos.

For those that camp in their vans, what do you use as a heat source for the chillier nights? I know Geek has a nice fancy diesel heater, but my budget is notably lower. Thinking of a small Mr. Heater, possibly setting up an external tank on one of the frame rails.
__________________
Current: 08 Yamaha WR250R, 05 Suzuki DL1000, 92 Ford E250 Motohauler
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 KLR650, 2000 GSXR1000, 1999 ZX6R, 2000 GSXF600, 2004 Ural Tourist, 99 Suzuki DR650

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #5605
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
^ Looks kinda like mine, I've got the same pegboard. The PO of mine used a truck toolbox as a chock of sorts (cut ABS pipe and big eyebolts) as well as storage and a seat. Works like a charm, well designed setup and leaves a nice little cubby behind the drivers seat for some electronic gizmos.

For those that camp in their vans, what do you use as a heat source for the chillier nights? I know Geek has a nice fancy diesel heater, but my budget is notably lower. Thinking of a small Mr. Heater, possibly setting up an external tank on one of the frame rails.
why not just do the same as camping and use a down sleeping bag?

if you go bed style, use a twin air-matress & wrap it 1st w/ a wool blanket and then use flannel sheets. that keeps heat from coming up from bellow. then use a down comforter on top and sleep in wool. drinking ginger tea at night keeps your body warmer.

buying a twin futton mattress would be better as they insulate from the cold. then just bring your bed stuff from home.
http://www.amazon.com/Airlay-Futon-T.../dp/B000PHTYF0
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...2/product.html

or buy a heater.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #5606
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
for a little more ... ok twice the price i would rather have an ARB and not take the chance of having the diff lock on me in snowy conditions.. bad enough with an open diff at times..
is that a real & continuous problem when adding one of those?

don't see me using this van when it's hardcore winter anyway.
maybe running straight south down 1-25 to NM or AZ to ride, but no way heading west into the mtns in the winter. i have a SUV w/ winter tires i use when there is a chance of snow. this would not be a daily driver.

i can see how driving an empty 2wd van in the snow is like driving a 2wd truck, not enough weight in the rear, so use some sand bags. doubt that airstream qualify as not enough weight in the rear. more concerned are those units strong enough for the weight?
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #5607
dentedvw
Where did I put that
 
dentedvw's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: ☼SLC-ish☼
Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
thanks! i sent you a PM

who has lifted a e350 a few inches w/o adding 4x4???
how hard it that to do?
i figure a rear locker and a lift and i could get most places.
I got two inches with spacers for an older model F250, because they were the same thing, and $100 dollars less. Little trick I discovered.
Used 4 degree shims on beams from a 2011 van I bought because one of mine was wrecked. The newer style axle assembly was desirable because of the improved bushing design. The bigger brakes would have been nice, but I didn't get that part. The alignment isn't perfect, but it's darn close.
I used longer shocks, some made for a Bronco, they are unfortunately valved poorly for this weight, and don't work well. Plus they are too long and allow the beams to drop so far out the springs will separate from the spacers, and then you are out there trying to jam it back together. You can imagine that's a problem in some places. Plus, if you don't stop immediately and fix it, you will rip off the ABS wire, and bend the brake lines. I recommend getting the right shocks, which is what I will do soon. And you can use longer springs rather than spacers, like these from Amazon. Drat, I lost the part number.
I bought used wheels from a Chevy Silverado for $100, but new Nitto Terra Grapplers on, 265/75/16. Trimmed the plastic on the front bumpers a bit with a sawzall.
Lifted the rear 1" to level it out.
Then I went out and put a big dent in the driver's side rocker on a boulder. It's still not a Jeep. Heh!
So we decided to do it this way for a few reasons.
  • Wanted to find out if this was the right way to go for us, lifting a van, and using it as our backcountry exploring basecamp. It is.
  • Can't use off the shelf van lift parts on our front end, because it was in an accident, which is how I got it so cheap. I will need to fabricate the front spring hangers, or install the axle as a four link design, and use coils.
So there we have it, a cheaply lifted one ton van.
Future plans: Tall top, Sterling 10.5 with ARB. I would love to find a top in a junkyard, but I haven't spotted one yet.
__________________
"Even though my trip turned out badly, I don't regret the kind of life I chose to live. Adventure!" RIP-Clay Schwartz 9/14/07
The bike never has been, never is, and never will be the limiting factor in my, your, or anyone else's ability to have an adventure. -jake28-
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #5608
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
I got two inches with spacers for an older model F250, because they were the same thing, and $100 dollars less. Little trick I discovered.
Used 4 degree shims on beams from a 2011 van I bought because one of mine was wrecked. The newer style axle assembly was desirable because of the improved bushing design. The bigger brakes would have been nice, but I didn't get that part. The alignment isn't perfect, but it's darn close.
I used longer shocks, some made for a Bronco, they are unfortunately valved poorly for this weight, and don't work well. Plus they are too long and allow the beams to drop so far out the springs will separate from the spacers, and then you are out there trying to jam it back together. You can imagine that's a problem in some places. Plus, if you don't stop immediately and fix it, you will rip off the ABS wire, and bend the brake lines. I recommend getting the right shocks, which is what I will do soon. And you can use longer springs rather than spacers, like these from Amazon. Drat, I lost the part number.
I bought used wheels from a Chevy Silverado for $100, but new Nitto Terra Grapplers on, 265/75/16. Trimmed the plastic on the front bumpers a bit with a sawzall.
Lifted the rear 1" to level it out.
Then I went out and put a big dent in the driver's side rocker on a boulder. It's still not a Jeep. Heh!
So we decided to do it this way for a few reasons.
  • Wanted to find out if this was the right way to go for us, lifting a van, and using it as our backcountry exploring basecamp. It is.
  • Can't use off the shelf van lift parts on our front end, because it was in an accident, which is how I got it so cheap. I will need to fabricate the front spring hangers, or install the axle as a four link design, and use coils.
So there we have it, a cheaply lifted one ton van.
Future plans: Tall top, Sterling 10.5 with ARB. I would love to find a top in a junkyard, but I haven't spotted one yet.

I believe I have the same 2" lift. I used Monroe shocks on the front that were longer than stock and built for heavy trucks. Not sure which ones they were off the top of my head. They work much better (added them after using the too-short bilstiens for awhile.) I have fabricated hangers to hold the springs onto the spacers; basically just giant washers.

I also have quite a bit larger diameter tires, which gave the van a total of 3" lift in front. Clearance was an issue, and we had to hack the back of the front fender a bit. My speedo is way off now, too. On the plus side, I get better mileage with the larger tires. This is with a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, so YMMV.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #5609
dentedvw
Where did I put that
 
dentedvw's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: ☼SLC-ish☼
Oddometer: 2,151
Ah, here they are. You will only likely get 1.5 inches over stock with these though. Then you would need different ball joint shims, shocks, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC860S-Va...eywords=cc860s

And there there is the cc860, similar.
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC860-Var...keywords=cc860
__________________
"Even though my trip turned out badly, I don't regret the kind of life I chose to live. Adventure!" RIP-Clay Schwartz 9/14/07
The bike never has been, never is, and never will be the limiting factor in my, your, or anyone else's ability to have an adventure. -jake28-
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #5610
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,513


__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014