ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 431 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #5836
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardrider247 View Post
Awesome!! Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 dodge pickup. It is a great vehicle but I don't really need the load capacity. Most of the driving I do with it is going on road trips snowboarding with the wife and two dogs. So something with a large cargo space awd and decent road manners is what I'm looking for.
EuroVan is the answer. It's just the right size and a bike will fit inside.
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #5837
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
EuroVan is the answer. It's just the right size and a bike will fit inside.
The Eurovan is the answer for me but I would rather have my dirty stinky oily bike outside on the three rail trailer or the hitch carrier. It is bad enough having my riding gear in the van after a day of riding! The bikes may start out the day being clean but they never are at the end.

I love having a place to change in and out of my riding gear that is warm (or cool depending on the season) and dry.

It is a great vehicle (at least as long as the transmission keeps working and the timing chain doesn't fall off). They do have some known issues and are expensive but I work on my own stuff so am not afraid. I have made some improvements like air bags, Scanguage to monitor transmission temperature and a transmission cooler with thermostat to hopefully avoid problems. I have hauled 3 bikes and a ton of gear to Nevada from WA twice now and it works great. Last year the ride was a bit warm because the AC was low on freon but that was easy to fix when I returned home.

I am planning a family trip to Lake Powell this summer and it will be perfect for the job. Nothing like having a place to prepare and have lunch right in your car!

About the AWD Chevy Express, it seems to be a good vehicle but we would be better off to get some 3/4 ton real 4x4 conversions here at work. We have to access radio sites during bad weather and the ground clearance of the AWD is just not enough. As I mentioned, I am pushing it on the weight limit too. It lists to its port side since all the cabinets are on that side. It did that even before I loaded them up. We have a fairly heavy trailer that we use for doing fiber optic repairs and I am not allowed to tow it with my van due to its low GVWR rating and internal work rules and procedures.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #5838
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
The Eurovan is the answer for me but I would rather have my dirty stinky oily bike outside on the three rail trailer or the hitch carrier. It is bad enough having my riding gear in the van after a day of riding! The bikes may start out the day being clean but they never are at the end.

I love having a place to change in and out of my riding gear that is warm (or cool depending on the season) and dry.

It is a great vehicle (at least as long as the transmission keeps working and the timing chain doesn't fall off). They do have some known issues and are expensive but I work on my own stuff so am not afraid. I have made some improvements like air bags, Scanguage to monitor transmission temperature and a transmission cooler with thermostat to hopefully avoid problems. I have hauled 3 bikes and a ton of gear to Nevada from WA twice now and it works great. Last year the ride was a bit warm because the AC was low on freon but that was easy to fix when I returned home.
I miss mine . Trannys and chains are really the only downside on the VR6's . Seems like you have plenty of inside knowledge of the EV .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #5839
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I miss mine . Trannys and chains are really the only downside on the VR6's . Seems like you have plenty of inside knowledge of the EV .
What really sucks is that the timing chain is on the flywheel side of the engine so you have to remove the transmission to change it. That means engine and transmission removal from what I have found. WTF VW? I guess you can take care of the timing chain when the transmission eats it.

There is a Yahoo Group called EV Update. I joined it well before I bought mine and have learned a lot from it about the Eurovan. I lucked out and bought mine from the original owner for an amazingly good price. He had all the records since new including the original invoice and window sticker even and actually understood that the transmission needed to have the transmission oil changed at least every 40,000 miles so it had been done regularly.

I am not sure I would recommend an EV to someone who is not a do it yourselfer tho. They are getting old and will have many little things start going wrong with them. The Weekender and Camper versions are crazy expensive to purchase too. Some of the parts are quite costly too like brake parts. I am sure something like a starter would cost considerably more for the EV than for a similar year GM van.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #5840
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
What really sucks is that the timing chain is on the flywheel side of the engine so you have to remove the transmission to change it. That means engine and transmission removal from what I have found. WTF VW? I guess you can take care of the timing chain when the transmission eats it.

There is a Yahoo Group called EV Update. I joined it well before I bought mine and have learned a lot from it about the Eurovan. I lucked out and bought mine from the original owner for an amazingly good price. He had all the records since new including the original invoice and window sticker even and actually understood that the transmission needed to have the transmission oil changed at least every 40,000 miles so it had been done regularly.

I am not sure I would recommend an EV to someone who is not a do it yourselfer tho. They are getting old and will have many little things start going wrong with them. The Weekender and Camper versions are crazy expensive to purchase too. Some of the parts are quite costly too like brake parts. I am sure something like a starter would cost considerably more for the EV than for a similar year GM van.
All true , but after owning a few , I still get an itch to buy another . I prefer the 5 cyl manuals , slow but reliable . The VR6 MV I had was a great road trip vehicle .The kids miss that one the most .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #5841
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist
 
boardrider247's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Forest Lake, mn
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
EuroVan is the answer. It's just the right size and a bike will fit inside.
I've owned a few vw vans over the years and really like them. But the tow rating isn't going to be enough for me.
Nor is it awd or 4wd. And I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a vw with a automatic transmission.

Whatever I buy will be fullsize. A 3/4 ton 4x4 van would be great but they are expensive and rare. If I could get a good buy on one that would most likely be the winner.
__________________
Life is a waste of time, Surfing is a great way to waste it
boardrider247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #5842
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,107
E 350

Does anyone have any experience with an E350 7.3PSD in cold temps? I'm about to cross the Labrador and I'm not sure whether or not I should put a piece of cardboard/something on the front grille to block some cold air. The van takes a long time to warm up at warmer temps, I'm leaning towards putting something just cause it can't hurt it, so maybe it helps?

Perhaps I should be thinking of installing studded tires instead of worrying about engine temps

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #5843
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,201
Lookie what's down in FM. (Not mine. Just passing it along.)


__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #5844
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Lookie what's down in FM.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #5845
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
You gotta admit a 'fly and drive' for that rig would be cool. Even cooler might be a 'fly and also pick up a small dual sport out there while I'm at it'.

I hear Death Valley is nice this time of year.

Yer welcome.

PS - Guessing no rust.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #5846
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,502
Dode is bringing Fiat's Vans to replace Mercedes Sprinter line-up!

__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #5847
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
You gotta admit a 'fly and drive' for that rig would be cool. Even cooler might be a 'fly and also pick up a small dual sport out there while I'm at it'.

I hear Death Valley is nice this time of year.

Yer welcome.

PS - Guessing no rust.
I was pricing out flights until my wife put the kibosh on that plan. Damn the voice of reason...

cjbiker screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:21 PM
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #5848
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.
 
Ride_There's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: MN, the state where nothing is allowed.
Oddometer: 3,090


This Dodge looks to be in really good shape and has "modern" 318 power. Don't know what it is worth but this price does not seem crazy.

Listed for $6,900 on CL today.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...543963866.html
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #5849
ErikY.
Insulhater
 
ErikY.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North of you, probably
Oddometer: 2,198
Man that's beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post


This Dodge looks to be in really good shape and has "modern" 318 power. Don't know what it is worth but this price does not seem crazy.

Listed for $6,900 on CL today.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...543963866.html
__________________
"Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb.
"Touratech have nice mounting kits but they want a testicle and half a square yard of scrotum skin for them. They can f*** right off." Frey Bentos
"This is it. Pay attention. -Me.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #5850
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post


This Dodge looks to be in really good shape and has "modern" 318 power. Don't know what it is worth but this price does not seem crazy.

Listed for $6,900 on CL today.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...543963866.html
I wonder how noisy its inside ?
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014