ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 540 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #6391
FatChance
Road Captain
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Oddometer: 10,191
We are shopping around for a camper van. There are two possibles I have found that I am looking into. Both are mid-80s vintage one ton vans with a Falcon conversion and both have mid-80k miles and are about the same price. One is a Dodge with a 360 engine, the other is a Ford with a 460 engine. There is also a mid-90s Chevy Roadtrek with a 5.7 EFI but it is more expensive and has over 200k miles so that is probably out of consideration. As far as the basic one ton van platforms with those engines, which would be preferable?
__________________
Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #6392
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer
 
broncobowsher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Baking in AZ
Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
We are shopping around for a camper van. There are two possibles I have found that I am looking into. Both are mid-80s vintage one ton vans with a Falcon conversion and both have mid-80k miles and are about the same price. One is a Dodge with a 360 engine, the other is a Ford with a 460 engine. There is also a mid-90s Chevy Roadtrek with a 5.7 EFI but it is more expensive and has over 200k miles so that is probably out of consideration. As far as the basic one ton van platforms with those engines, which would be preferable?
The Ford is as simple as a rock and will burn the most fuel. Brutal simplicity that can go forever.
Not a huge fan of the old Dodges, few left on the road today.
If the chevy is in good shape I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much. Modern EFI engines will last a very long time.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #6393
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Yeah, unfortunately the PO had windows and an exhaust vent already cut into the side. In order to put the door and windows in a place where I could eliminate these I had to put it on the left. I also opens "suicide" direction aka into the wind. This said I thought it would bug me but it doesn't, and honestly its nice having the door on this side as I use it alot! Way more than my wife is...

Will the suicide door be water tight when driving in the rain ?
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #6394
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,626
Duke: check out the portals this guy put in his back doors above the windows







Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #6395
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Otis the Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Duke: check out the portals this guy put in his back doors above the windows....
Gun ports!

Reminds me, I saw a "Guardia" (they're like Brinks) armored Sprinter the other day. Can't wait for those to start popping up on the Used market.

example
__________________
Black care rarely sits behind the rider whose pace is fast enough.
Theodore Roosevelt

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #6396
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,652
Got my van metered in Iowa.

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #6397
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Will the suicide door be water tight when driving in the rain ?
Definitely, already proven and is doing just fine, luckily!
__________________
andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com
Grand Staircase Escalante Road Reports

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #6398
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by heineken View Post
Sigh, I've been subscribed to that thread for some time now ... I'll probably have to do a lot of driving to find a decent quality panel.
Apparently you haven’t been there very long. Something will come up. Why not post a wanted ad there?
You are about in the center of the ‘lesser 48’ states so may not be that bad of a ride, load bike, & drive . Just gotta be sure that you can get the bike thru the 47.4” high rear door opening. About 53.5” from floor to ceiling once inside.
Two year old Kansas City CL ad. Sounded pretty good & a pop-top would be nice.
Throw out all or most of the camper crap, load bikes, go.
http://econolines.ipbhost.com/index....ndpost&p=37014
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #6399
heineken
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Apparently you haven’t been there very long. Something will come up. Why not post a wanted ad there?
You are about in the center of the ‘lesser 48’ states so may not be that bad of a ride, load bike, & drive . Just gotta be sure that you can get the bike thru the 47.4” high rear door opening. About 53.5” from floor to ceiling once inside.
Two year old Kansas City CL ad. Sounded pretty good & a pop-top would be nice.
Throw out all or most of the camper crap, load bikes, go.
http://econolines.ipbhost.com/index....ndpost&p=37014
Eh, only a couple of months. I'm most interested in a non-camper, non-high top version. If I post a want ad, that transitions me into the active looking stage, at the moment I'm in good graces with the wife, so if one just happens to pop up that's right I can say it's just too good to be true and buy it. I don't think she'd be happy with an active search for one, especially while I still have the G20.

If any of that makes any sense.
__________________
'07 Tiger 1050
'04 XR650L
'99 SV796
'64 Super Cub
heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #6400
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by heineken View Post
Eh, only a couple of months. I'm most interested in a non-camper, non-high top version.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want a high top or camper version either. I do have a high top camper E300 that I got for free just for parts. Drove it home. Has an ‘84 engine & runs fine, needs brake work. I’ll never drive it though.
I like the E200 models over the 100s with their tiny brakes or 300s with 8 lug 16.5” wheels.
You had one of these vans before?
Hey, you don’t have to tell your wife!
I could just post a wanted ad over there for ya.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #6401
Patrick46
visionary
 
Patrick46's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon Coastline
Oddometer: 2,806
Has this been on here???


flamejob by Mike LaVallee...



__________________
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #6402
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,290
Pretty awesome link to a sprinter build setup... (not sure if this has been posted)

http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/2006...Conversion.htm

also http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18067


Only thing missing is their bed / sleeping setup I suppose...
__________________
andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com
Grand Staircase Escalante Road Reports

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #6403
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Pretty awesome link to a sprinter build setup... (not sure if this has been posted)

http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/2006...Conversion.htm

also http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18067


Only thing missing is their bed / sleeping setup I suppose...
towards the end it showed a pair of thermarests on the floor.

Not to my taste, but then, it isn't my van either.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #6404
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,626
Here's the new Sprinter.

Headlight redesign. A crease in the hood.





a slightly different grill more in line with the current product line
Looks to me like first time in the power wash you'll lose the silver-dollar emblem



http://rumors.automobilemag.com/upda...#axzz2RxsEiIVP


In North America, only the 3.0-liter turbo-diesel V-6 was offered in the Sprinter, but Mercedes-Benz officials confirm the 2.1-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder will also be sold in our market. In our market, the four-cylinder engine is now standard and paired with the seven-speed automatic, and offers 161 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. Customers seeking more power can still opt for the familiar 3.0-liter turbo-diesel V-6, which offers 188 hp and 325 lb-ft, and continues to use the older five-speed automatic transmission.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #6405
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair
 
Devo 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 184
The floor be Fat Matted. Very easy to work with.

Then this showed up:
__________________
Whip it, whip it good.
Devo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014