Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 479 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #691
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I have a 07 E350, 5.4 Trident V8, AOD 4 speed automatic. 15 pax window van. One ton, long wheel base, vinyl interior, and NO power options. Cruise and a great stereo (which I put in myself.)

Pull the seats out and it's cavernous.

I'd like to say it gets 17 mpg. But that'd be a lie. It gets about 14 in town, and perhaps 16 out on the open road, running about 70. Fuel range is an easy 400 miles. Gets kinda wobbly above 70, so we keep it under control. Pulls a cycle trailer like it aint there. With the class 5 hitch, it could probably pull a mobile home.

It was a pickup and delivery van for a daycare, preschool. & I bought it form a used car lot two years ago for $6 grand. 42,000 miles, it was like new. Please don't detail the vinyl floor with Armorall, tho.

Nicest truck I've ever owned, Ford built a quality van in this one--not judging any other Fords by this one, but mine is dead reliable and really (except for the squeeks) comfortable. It was in heavy commercial duty for a while (I was driving it as an airport shuttle in Tucson.) In 50k miles, it's needed tires, front brakes x2 and a set of disks, and new sparkies.

BTW, if you buy an used van, get a white one, the clearcoat doesn't seem to peel at all on them. In Tucson, it seems like everything peels.
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #692
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
I have a 07 E350, 5.4 Trident V8, AOD 4 speed automatic. 15 pax window van. One ton, long wheel base, vinyl interior, and NO power options. Cruise and a great stereo (which I put in myself.)

Pull the seats out and it's cavernous.

I'd like to say it gets 17 mpg. But that'd be a lie. It gets about 14 in town, and perhaps 16 out on the open road, running about 70. Fuel range is an easy 400 miles. Gets kinda wobbly above 70, so we keep it under control. Pulls a cycle trailer like it aint there. With the class 5 hitch, it could probably pull a mobile home.

It was a pickup and delivery van for a daycare, preschool. & I bought it form a used car lot two years ago for $6 grand. 42,000 miles, it was like new. Please don't detail the vinyl floor with Armorall, tho.

Nicest truck I've ever owned, Ford built a quality van in this one--not judging any other Fords by this one, but mine is dead reliable and really (except for the squeeks) comfortable. It was in heavy commercial duty for a while (I was driving it as an airport shuttle in Tucson.) In 50k miles, it's needed tires, front brakes x2 and a set of disks, and new sparkies.

BTW, if you buy an used van, get a white one, the clearcoat doesn't seem to peel at all on them. In Tucson, it seems like everything peels.
Thanks Brian. That's what I expect. My 98 V-6 Explorer gets 15 towing the bikes on an open trailer, maybe 17 without. I rented an '08 explorer and it didn't do any better. I'll keep the '98. It's only got 100k on it.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #693
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
I have a 07 E350, 5.4 Trident V8, AOD 4 speed automatic... Cruise...
I'd like to say it gets 17 mpg. But that'd be a lie. It gets about 14 in town, and perhaps 16 out on the open road, running about 70. Fuel range is an easy 400 miles. Gets kinda wobbly above 70...
The reason why I wanted and bought the 7.3 Turbo Diesel.
if I take it easy I can get 21-23 mpg / 600 miles on one tank and it never wobbly or unstable even at 100mph.

Oh and my van has 763,000 miles with the stock untouched motor. Bomb proof and I hope to see 1,000,000 miles :)
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #694
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlebrown
I get 18-20 outta my Lifted 01' E350 2WD w/the 7.3. I'd 'prolly do a little better if I took the roof rack off but I'm a dork & like how it looks
How bout a pic of the van?
Lee Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #695
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,383
Is this a van?

Van or small bus? I do know it was a very cool surf wagon.

Daytona Rod Run, Bellair Plaza Thanksgiving weekend 09.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #696
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,940
That is wild!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #697
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,490
Just picked up(well I traded my motorhome for it)Sweet low mi 83' Chevy van,made in the era when factory conversions looked more like custom vans. it's a Bivouac conversion in Quad-tone copper with a creamy tan velour interior with nice deep brown shag carpet. I thought i'd gut it to haul bikes, it's just too nice for that so hopefully I can sell it to finance a more suitable E250 panel.

Anyway it has a Chevy 350 with a four barrel gets 9-10 MPG??????, seems to run alright any ideas on why it gets such bad gas mileage,I'd expect somewhere around 13-16 or do they just get this poor of mileage
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #698
kirk69er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
kewl chop baby
kk#38
kirk69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #699
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere
Just picked up(well I traded my motorhome for it)Sweet low mi 83' Chevy van,made in the era when factory conversions looked more like custom vans. it's a Bivouac conversion in Quad-tone copper with a creamy tan velour interior with nice deep brown shag carpet. I thought i'd gut it to haul bikes, it's just too nice for that so hopefully I can sell it to finance a more suitable E250 panel.

Anyway it has a Chevy 350 with a four barrel gets 9-10 MPG??????, seems to run alright any ideas on why it gets such bad gas mileage,I'd expect somewhere around 13-16 or do they just get this poor of mileage
That's about right for a Carb V-8. Fuel Injection is probably required to get better mileage.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #700
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere
Had the same engine in a 82 Cutlass. Mileage seems to be the same.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #701
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dodge
How bout a pic of the van?
Who can I email a pic to ??? I'm certified photarded.
newcastlebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #702
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
vans in action...

Here's my white 94 Sportsmobile and a 97 Green trim one next to it. They just pulled up next to me in the night. It has a long couch, microwave, and less closet / cabinet space than mine.

I would get a scolding by people if I told you where I was. But I can tell you that it's Thanksgiving week.

Here's another shot of my Sportsmobile and my good friend, Gordon's AWD van that he just had installed two windows and all the insulation and carpeting in the back. He made himself a bed frame that fits a futon and folds away for his bikes.

Here, we are at Panoche Hills BLM nearby Mercy Hot Springs. That was 2 weekends before Thanksgiving,
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 09:49 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #703
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlebrown
I get 18-20 outta my Lifted 01' E350 2WD w/the 7.3. I'd 'prolly do a little better if I took the roof rack off but I'm a dork & like how it looks
newcastlebrown's van. Sharp! Is that a long travel suspension? How's it work off road?

Lee Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #704
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dodge
newcastlebrown's van. Sharp! Is that a long travel suspension? How's it work off road?

Thanks for the pic help.

6" 2wd lift, rides great. As far as off road, I'm not gonna get to crazy. I know now to us a little more momentum when crossing a sand wash

I'll have to put the light bar back on AND learn how to post up the pics myself.
Thanks again LD
newcastlebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #705
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
Just curious, what was your gas mileage with that rig. I keep thinking about going back to the van/trailer, but remember getting 8mpg towing my Airstream with my 302 E-300 econoline (of course, that was 'back in the day').
Well we averaged about 10mpg thanks to the 31" tires and 4:10 gears. Next year it will have 33" tires and will most likely get a huge increase in MPG. The van would literally pull that trailer with 8 people and gear in it at max speed ~85mph with no hesitation. It needs bigger tires to compensate for the gearing.

He plans to get a programmer for it as well to help squeeze a few extra MPG out of it.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: