jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #797
Hal-Koll
socially challenged

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit
I have a 2003 e-150 with the 4.2 liter v-6. On a 6600 mile road trip last Fall I averaged 18.67 MPG. Van was loaded with a half done camper conversion including paneling, insulation,double bed, water and waste tanks,sink and stove and ice box in built in cabinets, .
Have you posted up any pix in this thread, I would love to see some pictures of the build process if you have some. I have been thinking about doing the DIY camper van but am having trouble finding any real instruction books about things like running the wiring and plumbing and insulation issues, etc.

Kurt
Hal-Koll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #798
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
I looked at one for my business back in the day. Passed because that motor is so loud I was concerned that driving through a residential area would cause complaints.
WHAT?!

I don't go to the snooty areas of town in mine for that very reason. I like the size, mileage, etc of the 'Stroke, but the noise is killing my bidness. When yer selling insurance, annuities, etc. looking like the help isn't bueno. I take the Bitchin Camaro for them days.

M
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #799
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit
The only time I felt a lack of power was up in the Colorado Rockies . A friend of mine who worked at a Ford dealership claims the small V-8 will do just as well driven sensibly and have more power reserve.
I had an extended cab stepside 97 F150 with the big V-8 (5.4l) and my roommate at the time had a 97 F150 fleetside with the little V-8 (4.6l) he got consistently 2-3mpg better around town, but I caught up on the freeway 'cause he only got 1-2mpg better. Around town, I got 17-ish. 20-22 on the freeways doing 75-ish.

Pulled his boat back from the Colo River. Got 8mpg, but got up the big hill at 55mph!

Not sure how that translates into 'van' but I'm sure it'll be similar. If it were me AND I didn't hafta worry about pulling something, I'd stick with the 5.4l. ...and I have the Stroke now! HOWEVER if you ARE planning on pulling something, the Stroke is hard to beat.

M
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #800
DWalt
**** The Beans....

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal-Koll
Have you posted up any pix in this thread, I would love to see some pictures of the build process if you have some. I have been thinking about doing the DIY camper van but am having trouble finding any real instruction books about things like running the wiring and plumbing and insulation issues, etc.

Kurt
Expedition Portal.com
DWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #801
DWalt
**** The Beans....

Oddometer: 3,743
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563214
DWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #802
KidKawie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39

KidKawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #803
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidKawie

Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #804
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,112
My RHD 4 wheel drive Mitsu Delica, imported from Japan.

Ever since my dad camperized an old Dodge Tradesman in '73, I've loved vans.

ErikY. screwed with this post 04-14-2010 at 07:34 PM
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #805
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Great thread and some real cool vans!

A local transmission shop has had this Ford off to the side for at least a few months. Wouldn't this be a great vehicle to haul the bike to the enduro's! I am tempted to see if she needs a new home...

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #806
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,074
Always loved my VW's only hate Kombi camper's....Kombis are made to jump

this is my kind of Kombi

Or a Mitsubishi L300 anyone

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!

theMISSIONARY screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 07:19 PM
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #807
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy1
Great thread and some real cool vans!

A local transmission shop has had this Ford off to the side for at least a few months. Wouldn't this be a great vehicle to haul the bike to the enduro's! I am tempted to see if she needs a new home...

Funny I was looking at this one yesterday and wondering if my WR would fit in it http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/1687345496.html
Not that I want to spend the money, nor is it practical, but it is cool as hell.
I say go for it, we'll notice it at Delaware
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #808
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
...Not that I want to spend the money, nor is it practical, but it is cool as hell.
I say go for it, we'll notice it at Delaware
I know what you mean. Not sure that I could "sell" it to my wife right now. Maybe I could sneak it home after dark and hide it behind the shop. (Nope, that is not a real good idea.)

And no, don't expect to see it a Delaware.

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #809
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,054
sorry, no pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal-Koll

Kurt
No, I haven't taken any pictures of the build. I'm very close to finishing and will try to figure out posting pictures once I'm done. The last major step will be building and installing a short pop top something like the early VW westys.

As far as wiring and plumbing, I come from a background of building, repairing, maintaining and living aboard sailboats and pretty much used marine equipment and practices for plumbing and electrical. Most boat equipment is better quality than RV stuff in my opinion. A seemingly little thing like using tinned marine wire can avoid a lot of problems down the road.

The boatbuilding section in your local library might be helpful, there are a lot of very comprehensive books on amateur boatbuilding around. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to help.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #810
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,054
epa fuel mileage numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I had an extended cab stepside 97 F150 with the big V-8 (5.4l) and my roommate at the time had a 97 F150 fleetside with the little V-8 (4.6l) he got consistently 2-3mpg better around town, but I caught up on the freeway 'cause he only got 1-2mpg better. Around town, I got 17-ish. 20-22 on the freeways doing 75-ish.

Pulled his boat back from the Colo River. Got 8mpg, but got up the big hill at 55mph!

Not sure how that translates into 'van' but I'm sure it'll be similar. If it were me AND I didn't hafta worry about pulling something, I'd stick with the 5.4l. ...and I have the Stroke now! HOWEVER if you ARE planning on pulling something, the Stroke is hard to beat.

M

Interesting, I checked the EPA numbers (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Ford2003.shtml) at it seems the pickups do get a little better mileage than a van with the same engine/transmission. Gearing? Aerodynamics?

I actually wanted an E-250 with the small v-8 but came across this 150 six at a price I couldn't turn down.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: