Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #1141
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Regarding a standard wheelbase work van: If one were to add a rear seat would the cargo area still accept a full sheet of plywood or do I need to look for a longer wheelbase model?
no it will not.
sorry.
the e350 ext is 9 foot from the first seat mount . and the people riding in that seat need knee pads.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #1142
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
Whatcha got? I helped my buddy put 1 ton springs and air bag shocks in a 1975 Dodge Camper. BIG difference! No more wallowing in corners and such. Parts were cheap as he scavenged at the local Pick N Pull. We also dropped a different rear and soon an overdrive tranny will go in. Trying to beat the gas consumption as best as we can. The van goes up and down the State on regular surf trips.
1994 Dodge Ram Van. Maybe I can do a scout for air bags at our local pick and pulls. Hmmmm
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #1143
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer
no it will not.
sorry.
the e350 ext is 9 foot from the first seat mount . and the people riding in that seat need knee pads.

Thanks. When you refer to the E350 Ext that would be the equivalent of the 15 passenger wagon not the 12 passenger, correct?
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #1144
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
1994 Dodge Ram Van. Maybe I can do a scout for air bags at our local pick and pulls. Hmmmm
New airbags would be the way to go. I would guess there is an app for your B250 van.

On the cheap you may consider "re-arching" your springs or adding a helper spring.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #1145
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
New airbags would be the way to go. I would guess there is an app for your B250 van.

On the cheap you may consider "re-arching" your springs or adding a helper spring.
After thinking about it, you are right.

I took her in to the local and reputable shop for the a quiet knocking noise in the right rear tire area. It's most obvious when I'm driving slow. It stops when I brake and when I speed up to above 40 or so. They claim that it's fine and it's a loose boot that was tightened. As I drove off, I noticed that it is still there and now most prominent when I turn. UGH.

They were going to put in an extra leaf for me but suggested that I take it to a 4x4 place for expert consultation on the choices I have to work with, including air bags at 750 bucks plus install.

But anyway, has anyone ever installed the super duty springs or an extra leaf on their van? What was the outcome?

Thanks
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #1146
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Helper springs are readily available from 4wheelparts.com
Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #1147
street2dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
my next race vehicle??

I am seriously considering a van to replace my SD 250 and trailer for hare scrambles & enduros, I've resisted getting a toy hauler after watching guys having to take 2-3 hours after a race to get ready to go home, I think the less the better..... plus the fuel mileage may be the same if not more, not sure.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #1148
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
But anyway, has anyone ever installed the super duty springs or an extra leaf on their van? What was the outcome?

Thanks
Yep done that a couple times, the outcome was that I had to rework the front suspension so the vans would sit level, they never handle all that good when the rear is jacked up.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #1149
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,650
Shopping for Sprinters... I see vans listed with 400K+ miles for over $10,000

Does this mean that I shouldn't be too quick to veto a Van with 190K+ on it as in if maintained 400K is reasonably feasable?

I understand it depends on maintenance, etc; does anyone know the realistic service life of a Sprinter?

I feel 5cyl diesel turbo and 6' headroom calling my name... (it's going to have an easy life trucking dirtbikes around inside it on weekends and sitting empty as a billboard with my company logo on it during the week)

Geek screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 03:20 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #1150
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,650
Looking at the nat photos on dropjawmag.com - what's the idea of the tarps bungied on many vans (and it being photo worthy )?

Privacy?

p.s. if you wanna look at all the vans without the crappy-frame-bs in their web design:
http://www.dropjawmag.com/2010/truck...vans/index.htm
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #1151
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
as for the tarps :
used such for camping (esp. music festivals) too, though usually with the car;
privacy, keeping the sun out of the car and a better fix - the wind can not enter as easily as if you fix it somewhere on the roof
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #1152
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Regarding a standard wheelbase work van: If one were to add a rear seat would the cargo area still accept a full sheet of plywood or do I need to look for a longer wheelbase model?
Buddy of mine solved this with a real slick welding job. He basically elevated the seat about 6" on a tube steel frame with a raised platform for your feet. This allowed a few dozen 2x4s or 4'x8' sheet goods to slide under the seat. Personally, I bought my 2006 Chevy work van from a dealer that was chocking on inventory. It was 3 years old with 89K. It looked, and ran new, I would rate it 9.5 out of 10, based on thirty years of vehicle buying. It was $6700 cash out the door This was summer of '09 when the rental companies flooded the market with nearly new, low mileage E250s and really did a swell job of crushing resale values.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #1153
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,424
Quote:
Thanks. When you refer to the E350 Ext that would be the equivalent of the 15 passenger wagon not the 12 passenger, correct?
correct.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #1154
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
that's getting into short bus territory!
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #1155
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat
Buddy of mine solved this with a real slick welding job. He basically elevated the seat about 6" on a tube steel frame with a raised platform for your feet. This allowed a few dozen 2x4s or 4'x8' sheet goods to slide under the seat. Personally, I bought my 2006 Chevy work van from a dealer that was chocking on inventory. It was 3 years old with 89K. It looked, and ran new, I would rate it 9.5 out of 10, based on thirty years of vehicle buying. It was $6700 cash out the door This was summer of '09 when the rental companies flooded the market with nearly new, low mileage E250s and really did a swell job of crushing resale values.

Thats a good idea. Sounds like you got a sweet deal on your van. Me? I always seem to buy high / sell low
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: